Fall Camp 2019 old thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
And on the defensive side, Frank Bonner II talked to DC Jim Knowles...

Knowles, OSU’s defensive coordinator, is no longer living in the spotlight of coaching in the Big 12 Conference for the first time. He got his first taste of that last season, and he now is focusing on trying to improve from his experience.

“I knew what to expect, but it’s different,” Knowles said at the football assistant coaches’ golf outing. “It’s different when you live it. I mean, play by play, game by game, it’s different. I like not being the new guy. I have a better feel for the conference and what to expect.”

Knowles, who previously coached at Duke, had a tough introduction to Big 12 offenses last year. The Cowboys took a step back by posting a 7-6 record after going 10-3 the three previous years, and the defense had its struggles.

Oklahoma State ranked in the bottom two of the conference in scoring defense, total defense, rushing defense, pass interceptions, first-down defense and turnover margin. It also didn’t help that OSU ranked ninth in penalty yards per game.

Coach Mike Gundy took much of the blame for the team’s mistakes during Big 12 Media Days by acknowledging he let some things slide in practice. He also expressed his belief in Knowles having a better grasp of the defense in Year 2.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Re: adding teams to the conference -

By adding WVU I think the Big 12 is now committed to further conference expansion in the Central and Eastern Time Zones. I don't think spreading over three or four time zones works well for either team/fan travel or building a conference footprint/following and attendance. Television issues as well. How many on the West Coast are going to watch a 9am game (one of those 11am Central starts)? "Novelty" games/matchups wear out over time and it gets down to conference rivalries to sustain conference athletics.

We spit the bit on Louisville. Need to identify some good enough teams in big enough markets inside our foot print that we can grow in to legitimate Big 12 members.

Aug 16, 2012
Opened this thread with the hope it contained discussion relative to "Fall Camp Opens Today", which is August 1, 2019. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it is just an older, re-named thread of incessant off-season bitching. How about we have a "Fall Camp Opens Today" thread that addresses, oh, I do not know.....items relative to fall camp opening today, and leaves out the other hackneyed arguments that will invariably drag on throughout the thread.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Opened this thread with the hope it contained discussion relative to "Fall Camp Opens Today", which is August 1, 2019. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it is just an older, re-named thread of incessant off-season bitching. How about we have a "Fall Camp Opens Today" thread that addresses, oh, I do not know.....items relative to fall camp opening today, and leaves out the other hackneyed arguments that will invariably drag on throughout the thread.
How dare you come in here with all of your rational thoughts and try to put this thread back on the rails. Incessant, off-season bitching is what happens around here from January until at least September.:ban::D

Seriously, anyone have any camp news to put here? I know it will be mostly "coach speak" but the masses in here are dying for any news at this point.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
How dare you come in here with all of your rational thoughts and try to put this thread back on the rails. Incessant, off-season bitching is what happens around here from January until at least September.:ban::D

Seriously, anyone have any camp news to put here? I know it will be mostly "coach speak" but the masses in here are dying for any news at this point.
Coaches hair was “marvelous”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Yep. Board fail. Moderator fail. Come on folks! Let's make OrangePower great again!

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'll put this in here and not disrespect the sanctity of the real fall camp thread.

I'm off work today and the 2006 Holiday Bowl against Bama is on ESPN classic right now. Worth watching just to hear Kines' gravelly voice going into halftime.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'll put this in here and not disrespect the sanctity of the real fall camp thread.

I'm off work today and the 2006 Holiday Bowl against Bama is on ESPN classic right now. Worth watching just to hear Kines' gravelly voice going into halftime.
Pretty sure that was the Independence Bowl.

I mean... if you think that Shreveport and San Diego are similar then power to you.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Pretty sure that was the Independence Bowl.

I mean... if you think that Shreveport and San Diego are similar then power to you.
My bad. I knew better, but need to work on my multi tasking.

Only similar in that Shreveport JC should be in the conference

Status
Not open for further replies.