Fall Practice Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 17, 2007
Agreed. The only thing tempering those comparisons in my mind is that Weeden was 10 years older and had a lot of experience in handling pressure situations. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the spring game, so i can't speak to his performance, but i haven't heard anything from the coaching staff or other insiders saying that Lunt is at the same level where Weeden was in 2010. Regardless, i think the kid has a good skill set and appears to have a good demeanor. The question remains, what will happen once the lights go on.
Yep, and that is what none of us know. But so far I think we are seeing and hearing the things we want to hear vs the things we don't want to hear. I think that is all we can ask and hope for right now.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to say whether or not FBS college football players can hear the noise on the field or not since nobody has played in a full FBS stadium.

I will say though that if the crowd had no effect on the games, then why do teams have better home records than road records?

All players say the crowd doesn't effect them, but home/road splits show that they do.

Apr 27, 2012
Agreed. The only thing tempering those comparisons in my mind is that Weeden was 10 years older and had a lot of experience in handling pressure situations. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the spring game, so i can't speak to his performance, but i haven't heard anything from the coaching staff or other insiders saying that Lunt is at the same level where Weeden was in 2010. Regardless, i think the kid has a good skill set and appears to have a good demeanor. The question remains, what will happen once the lights go on.
After watching him play many sports throughout his highschool career, I am not able to assure anyone that he can throw, run, or grasp the offense well enough to meet the fan's expectations, but I am sure that he can handle the pressure. This pressure will not be any more or less to him as an athlete than was making the 2 out 3 ball 2 strike pitch in little league, the last second 3 pointer in a basketball game, a game winning freethrow or one of the many clutch third down throws he made in highschool. The pressue will not be an issue.

Jul 17, 2007
I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to say whether or not FBS college football players can hear the noise on the field or not since nobody has played in a full FBS stadium.

I will say though that if the crowd had no effect on the games, then why do teams have better home records than road records?

All players say the crowd doesn't effect them, but home/road splits show that they do.
You could attribute that to a lot of things outside of noise. I mean the turf could feel funny to you when you run on it. You know where all the bumps and humps are. The Crown on the field may be something that effects the way the Qb throws the ball from one side to the other, the stadium may be positioned like ours to where a QB has to throw dead into the sun glaring in their eyes. The stadium could be built to where it allows a lot of wind to come in that would in turn affect the Qbs accuracy. I mean Home field advantage is built off of lots of things.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think there is no doubt home field and home crowd give the home team an advantage just looking at won-loss records, absolutely true. Thing is good, experienced football teams can win in spite of that.

Jun 17, 2012

I'm qualified and I can tell you that during plays, I would say all players are not aware of the noise. You are hearing noise but, it doesnt affect you while the play is ongoing. In between plays and after plays, you are much more aware of the noise. A vast majority of players tune out the noise during play because you are concentrating on what you are doing so much, therefore it doesnt affect play. In certain situations, however, like a rush DE or blitzing LB, you can feed off the noise because you are choosing to hear it, at least that's what some defensive players have told me. When you are on the sideline, that's when you really hear how loud the crowd is. And noise can obviously affect audibles just from a can't-hear what the QB is saying perspective.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
They aren't very good players then. The good ones will tell you, they forgot about the crowd as soon as the ball was snapped.
Or they're young/inexperienced. Either way, it obviously has an effect if players have been quoted to saying that it does.

internationalaw

Reading about OSU football somewhere
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2010
USA
New practice report has Coach Dunn talking up the WR...I still don't know why everyone on this board underrated I. Anderson...dude can fly

Jan 14, 2006
Anybody heard anything about Glidden lately? I know he was set to be Stewart's backup but it seems like we have been hearing more about Webb in that spot.

Also, I realize that the practice report was from Dunn and he doesen't coach the IRs.

Jun 9, 2012
A redshirt to me is no different than a player coming in a semester early to compete. You don't do anything as a redshirt freshm other than get a playbook and maybe run on scout team. You get a semester to learn the ropes, then go into spring and compete for the job. Lunt skipped all the BS scout team crap and went right into competing for the job. The only difference is that the redshirt got one more semester than you as far as getting adjusted to college and the speed of the game. 1 semester more is not enough for me to say that one guy has learned a ton more than the other.

Now if Lunt waited until Fall to come in then I would say he would be quite a ways behind.
Having a year to redshirt and become acclimated both physically and mentally to college football is a big deal. It is different than coming in a semester early because you get even more time to learn when you redshirt. This seems like a simple concept, I don't know how you could argue with that.

Jul 17, 2007
Having a year to redshirt and become acclimated both physically and mentally to college football is a big deal. It is different than coming in a semester early because you get even more time to learn when you redshirt. This seems like a simple concept, I don't know how you could argue with that.
Yeah like I said. 5 months and that is it. Not being a jerk but ask JW Walsh if that 5 months helped him get the job.

PlatypusJojo

Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
A/V Subscriber
May 29, 2010
Boston
Anybody heard anything about Glidden lately? I know he was set to be Stewart's backup but it seems like we have been hearing more about Webb in that spot.

Also, I realize that the practice report was from Dunn and he doesen't coach the IRs.
Last I heard he was still recuperating from the injury.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Yeah like I said. 5 months and that is it. Not being a jerk but ask JW Walsh if that 5 months helped him get the job.
Looking at it another way, would the decision have been as hard (as I understand it was) if Walsh didn't have those extra five months? My guess is no.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
The decision was unanimous among the offensive staff, and Gundy. Not sure how hard it could have been based on what this offense needs at that position.