1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fall Practice Thread

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by blt_26, Aug 2, 2012.

1. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

Regardless it didn't matter. But to be honest, I didn't see too much difference in Walsh between spring of 2011 and 2012. I just think most players are what they are. There won't be drastic change in them. They will get a little better just from the standpoint of understanding and having a little more familiarity but most don't make drastic changes in performance. They normally are what they are. Either good or bad. Like if you look at Zac Robinson Or Weeden's careers, did you see any drastic change in them over the years? I mean if you even go look at their numbers, they stay pretty similar year to year.

2. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com A/V Subscriber

I'd say there is definitely a drastic change from when they set foot on campus in the spring as freshmen to when the fall camp starts. Wes Lunt is a perfect example in how he looks physically, to how he has adjusted to the college game, to how he commands the offense.

As juniors or seniors, you are probably right that there isn't a drastic change in five months. But as incoming freshmen, I'd say it is huge.

3. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

For incoming freshmen of course it is. That is why Lunt came in a Semester early. So that by the time that he got to the fall, he would be more comfortable. That is why I said if he would have not came in during the Spring, he would not be our starting QB to begin the season. But what I am saying is once he starts to play, I bet you won't see drastic change.

4. OSUMIKE17

So you think we won't see a difference in performance between his freshman and junior year on the field?

Edit: Nevermind. I misinterpreted.

5. TheMonkey

TheMonkey Deputy

Practice? We're sitting here, Lunt is supposed to be the franchise player, and we're in here talking about practice? We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice.

Brad, PistolChad, OSU79 and 1 other person like this.
  6. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

No not really too much of anything drastic. I've never ever seen a QB make drastic improvement. Things will get better for them as far as running the offense a little smoother and having a better understanding but performance wise, no I don't think there will be a big difference. The only QB that I saw make a huge difference from his freshmen to Jr year was Vince Young, and that was only because they changed the way they used him. They got him out of that dumb Chris Simms offense that they were running and turned him loose and let him use his true skillset. That had more to do with a coaching decision vs Vince Young actually getting better. I guarantee if they would have kept that same offense he was running his freshman year then he wouldn't have broke out the way he did.

7. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

I think it is safe to say drastic improvements typically come from dual threat QBs generally because they usually develop better arms. As for pocket QBs, these guys typically improve in small increments but may be able to give you a little more consistency without some of the upside. Kind of like what you see is what you get.

8. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

I can agree with that.

9. blt_26

blt_26 Deputy

"After this past Saturday's scrimmage there has been a lot of positive discussion about freshman starting quarterback Wes Lunt.

Even a few NFL scouts have shared their opinions with me on Lunt and it's all positive like they haven't seen a freshman quarterback that good in their rounds. Or one said he had every confidence he would be scouting him in greater detail in the future."

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/1212206.html

10. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

That's some good stuff right there. I keep trying to tell people. The dude is real deal. I mean I can only speak for myself, but to me he looked about where Weeden was in 2010 Spring game vs 2012 spring game.

11. OSUMIKE17

Really? I would say most if not all quarterbacks improve from their freshman to junior year. Overall strength, throwing fundamentals, understanding their own playbook, understanding defenses, overall poise...etc.

12. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Sheriff

Well I think you are right as far as skillset. But I don't think a little improvement in that area will make drastic change for you in order to make you a great QB. Increasing skillset only works for Qbs that are already good.

13. OSUMIKE17

I agree that the potential has to already be there. That can't be taught.

14. Noven

Noven Devil Incarnate A/V Subscriber

15. PistolChad

PistolChad Galaxy Stranger A/V Subscriber

The 2 coaches that I personally really tend to believe their statements are:

Wickline
    Young

Wickline knows who 4 starters are and who the Top-8 are. He is spending more time figuring out who is rounding out the 2-deep. That is HUGE IMO.

Young sounds the most confident I've heard him since he has been here. He can sandbag sometimes, but I haven't heard it much this year (other than the typical "we're not the finished product" - he always says that).

I'm starting to get a bit giddy.

Wide Receivers & Inside Receivers are sounding just outstanding. Gundy has said this may be the best group of Receivers from Top-to-Bottom ever? Reports of the true freshmen may be the best Receiver class ever? Seriously?

Running Backs were already solid on 2-deep. #3 is maturing. A walk-on passed by a scholarship player as the #2 FB?

Quarterback - everyone seems impressed with Lunt. Walsh is such a strong leader which is awesome for the #2 guy if he ever has to take over and rally the team.

Offensive Line - if Wickline is comfortable that is good enough for me.

Cornerbacks - arguably one of the best starting duos in the country (and the best duo I have ever seen at OSU). 2 true freshman are pushing their way into possibly being in the 2-deep? Are you kidding me?

Safeties - one starter gone. The other starter is being pushed to keep his starting job. Safeties produced the fewest INTs last season, and Malone emphasizes it. (Position coach upgrade too IMO)

Linebackers - Deepest group on defense? Just a few seasons ago we couldn't even keep a 2-deep on scholarship with all the turnover and bad luck recruiting at LB. Now we are a SOLID 3-deep and so deep an upperclassman on 2nd string got passed by by an underclassman. A starter is fighting to keep his job from a redshirt freshman. Another 2nd string LB moved to DE? Now that is some depth?

Defensive Line - So deep at Tackle you take a move a starter from Tackle to End? That hasn't happened in at least 25 years! 3-deep at Tackle with the lone Senior not on the 3-deep? Wow. A true freshman impressing Young and will be on the 2-deep at DE is exciting.

Did I say I was a bit giddy?

16. StillwaterMan

StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises A/V Subscriber

I couldnt argree more when it comes to QBs. The stars are usually stars from day one. And I see time and time again teams with "so so" QBs expect big improvements from one year to the next and it never seems to come.

Having said that most QBs dont usually see the field much until they have been on campus a year or two.

17. Poke 'Em

Poke 'Em Deputy

You say two true freshman are pushing their way into the 2-deep, I say two true freshman are being forced into the two-deep because the people who should be in front of them sustained serious injuries, but whatever...

I still like the sunshine you're pumping!

18. Pokengineer

Pokengineer Go Pokes! A/V Subscriber

RS Freshman Griffin and Jones are healthy and were getting high praise last year in practice. The fact that they may be getting passed by true freshman is just more to be excited about.

19. Poke 'Em

Poke 'Em Deputy

I was referring to May and Hedgepeth.

20. Pokengineer

Pokengineer Go Pokes! A/V Subscriber

I know, but I was just saying that Lampkin and Peterson aren't last resorts or only options. They are earning their PT.

PlatypusJojo likes this.