1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Francis banned????????

Discussion in 'Bedlam & Flame' started by OKCPoke, Sep 24, 2007.

1. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Should I post the Fox sports, and ESPN article again? Maybe that would give you a little more opinion on the gundy issue. Like I said before, if you are looking only for the supporters its going to be hard to find those who oppose him. You will look right past those who think poorly of the situation only to try and find some sunshine. Its ok, nobody is holding you personally responsible for this FUBAR'd situation.

2. kaje

kaje Let's Go Heat! A/V Subscriber

Hey, douchebag, why don't you go read the comments to every single Gundy bashing article that you can find and tell me where the support is.

3. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate Sheriff

LISTEN MORON.....read my damn post.

I've read all the articles and the comments following them.

Maybe you should do the same or shut the hell up.

4. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Hmmmm, I dont think I will shut the hell up. Maybe you could get your coach over to my house during practice tomorrow to tell me to shut the hell up. That seems like a pretty good use of time. You can't honostly tell me your are dumb enough to think that the supporters of an article are going to post comments. No matter what the article says you are always going to get the opposition to post more often then those who are in the arena of support. Thats just human nature. People are more likely to vote against someone than they are to vote for someone. Again, who holds more of an audience, ESPN or those responding to the articles?

You should also stop telling people to listen only to tell them to read your post. Pick one. DO you want me to listen to something or do you want me to read? You can choose this time, next time I will choose. So choose wisely.

5. More Cowbell

More Cowbell Drinking Orange Kool-aid A/V Subscriber

For the record, you may have tried to distance yourself from Francis in the past, but now you're picking up right where he left off. Nobody here needs a KSU fan's opinion of our coach, and nobody here needs a KSU fan trying to interpret other people's opinion of our coach. I (we) have read the articles, the comments, seen the interviews, the commentary, the clippings. There is overwhelming support for Gundy, and you look foolish trying to convince us otherwise.

6. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate Sheriff

Your reading comprehension is very poor.

What you just posted is flat out wrong.

The responses to the articles are the same whether the article was negative or positive toward Coach Gundy.

The only thing you have done in this thread is embarrass yourself and the school you support.

You can't be this dense. It's just an act.....right?

7. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Not trying convince you of anything. I think I have now said that about 4 times. I am giving you my opinion as I see it and I am posting articles that would give you insight in to my opinion. When you post your thought back to me about my opinion I take it as you want more insight into why I think the way I do. If you don’t post back then it gives me no ammunition or reason to keep on. I hope the best comes out of this for you, but like I said before, when you have a coach that is below 500 at your school and he chooses to take on the media in public, it wont end pretty. Do you think he would have done the same thing had you lost on Saturday? I don’t think so. I think he was looking to vent after what has been a pretty bad start to a much anticipated season and this woman was the easy target. Would he have done the same thing if the journalist would have been a man? I think he would have probably called them out, but would have done so privately (for the record, unfortunately I think this could be said about a lot of male coaches).

I also feel I have been a bit more considerate on here than Francis ever was.

8. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

You are welcome to your opinion but you don't know Mike Gundy very well or you would not have said that. He was given the article after the game by Bobby Reid's mother, right before the press conference. That explains why his emotion was so high.

9. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

You do know that the coaches banned that paper from the hotel that your team stayed in so that they did not read that article before the game?

10. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

No but that does not preclude Mike not having read the article until after the game. The order could have come from asssistant coaches.
    Further, that may be ordered each week. It could be done to keep players from reading articles that are not helpful.

11. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Sorry, I also forget to say that you may not want the opinion of a KSU fan, but O.P clearly states that bedlam and flame is for anything that does not pertain to OSU sports. Well, unfortunatly your mods saw fit to ban me here after talking about OSU sports on the main board. If they would like to re-instate me to that board, then I would surely stop talking about OSU sports or giving a KSU fans opinion on this part of your board. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

12. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

If that order came from assistant coaches, then your program has plenty of problems. When was the last time you saw orders come out of assistants that were not cleared by head coaches first? You know the ego of head coaches insist that they know every detail of every aspect of their program. You think Eddie ever let his son make a choice that did not clear his desk first? Come on.

13. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

Well, I guess that's possible. But I doubt it.

14. More Cowbell

More Cowbell Drinking Orange Kool-aid A/V Subscriber

You clearly have a hard time differentiating between your opinion and facts, which is ironically part of the reason Jenni Carlson looks foolish as well.

You have been more considerate than Francis. (Although that's not saying much) But you still tend to have an agenda with your posts, and it's generally anti-OSU. So this board is a good fit for you.

15. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate Sheriff

16. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate Sheriff

This is a very interesting article from a writer that hasn't been favorable to OSU in the past.

I'm posting this for all to read.

Whitlock: Columnist Carlson made a mistake

Jenni Carlson, the target of Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy’s now-infamous postgame tirade, is a talented, dedicated sports columnist.

I’ve stated that opinion privately and publicly for years. I’ve known Jenni, now a columnist at The Oklahoman, since she was a student at Kansas and later when she was a high school columnist for this newspaper.

The column she wrote about Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid, the column that caused Gundy to melt down following the Cowboys’ victory over Texas Tech, is absolutely indefensible. Gundy called it “garbage,” and I can’t disagree.

Why anyone in the media would choose to defend a column that is basically a message-board attack on a 21-year-old kid speaks to the insecurity of our profession.

We make mistakes — all the time. There is no reason to turn defensive and blame Gundy for justifiably embarrassing Carlson the same way she belittled an amateur athlete.

Carlson’s column reminded me of one I wrote in the mid-1990s about Marcus Allen and O.J. Simpson. My column, a fictional piece about a conversation between Allen and Simpson at the height of the Simpson murder trial, was supposed to be humorous, and it was.

But it had no business being published in a newspaper. It was completely unfair to Marcus Allen. It was a dirty joke told inside a church. When I saw Allen in the locker room a couple of days after the column ran, he erupted, cursed at me, made threats and had to be restrained by teammates.

By the next day, I knew I had made a terrible error in judgment. I immediately began the process of apologizing to Allen. I offered to write an apology column. He accepted my apology and told me it was unnecessary to write a public one. I then apologized to Allen’s wife, and she graciously accepted.

Jenni Carlson owes Bobby Reid and Mike Gundy apologies. Her column was atrocious.

In a newspaper circulated throughout the state, she ripped a kid by tying together a string of Internet rumors and out-of-context comments made by Reid to her co-workers. She basically called Reid a wimp and justified it by saying “if you believe the rumors and the rumblings.”

Here are a few choice excerpts from the column:

•“Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern that hasn’t always been pretty.”

•“Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.”

That bit of information was attributed to no one. I take that back, it was attributed to “back stories told on the sly.”

Here’s another gem from the column. Carlson takes a Reid quote given to one of her colleagues — “The coaches made a decision. I just have to go with it, get better and get back on the field” — and interprets it in the most negative way possible:

Carlson wrote: “There’s something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words. Does he have the fire in his belly?”

How can she see a shoulder shrugging on a player she apparently hasn’t taken the time to speak with herself? The kid stated he wants to get better and get back in the lineup. What was he supposed to say?

I could go on. It’s unnecessary. She made a mistake. It’s not a big deal. It happens. What’s embarrassing is reading all of these columns calling for Gundy to be suspended or even fired for defending his player and calling out Carlson in public.

Why didn’t Gundy address Carlson in private? Because her column wasn’t published in private. It went out across the state.

Well, isn’t it silly to call Reid a kid and an amateur when he’s 21 and receives a full scholarship in big-time athletics? No. He is a kid. He’s not a professional athlete. And unless he’s accused of breaking the law or being grossly offensive, we don’t need to involve ourselves in message-board speculation about his personality.

I don’t know a sports journalist, particularly a female or minority one, who would appreciate having their careers analyzed based on “back stories told on the sly.”

Good journalists make mistakes. Rather than juvenilely asking Mike Gundy to explain why three-fourths of her column was inaccurate, I’d rather hear Carlson explain what journalism class at Kansas taught her to shred a kid’s character with “rumors and rumblings.”

To reach Jason Whitlock, call 816-234-4869 or send e-mail to jwhitlock@kcstar.com

17. OKCPoke

OKCPoke Territorial Marshal

From a KC columnist (not a fiction writer...)

"The column she wrote about Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid, the column that caused Gundy to melt down following the Cowboys’ victory over Texas Tech, is absolutely indefensible. Gundy called it “garbage,” and I can’t disagree."
    "Jenni Carlson owes Bobby Reid and Mike Gundy apologies. Her column was atrocious."

I'd say that pretty much sums up the situation...whether you live in never never land (Kansas) or the regular world.

18. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Whitlock is crazy. It's hard to find to many people in KC that take him seriously. He is an extremist. He had a radio show a few years ago in KC. He walked off the set mid show and left the radio scrambling to cover up dead air. FWIW, he also predicted that KSU bb would sweep KU and have no problem winning over 20 games in Wooly's last season.

19. KCPowercat

KCPowercat Banned Banned

Hey, I almost forgot because you never responded back last night. Remember the articles from ESPN and FOX sports that you completly avoided? I am still waiting on your insight into those articles. You avoided them and brought up basketball. I posted a couple pieces from ESPN's Shootaround and you have not talked any more about those either. I told you I would wait for you to acknowledge that they exist.... I am still waiting.

20. Hoser11

Hoser11 Deputy

KC, you have to understand that some people in the media are going to back Carlson no matter what. It doesnt matter if they agree with her or not, they are going to back her because she is one of them. Try to find a good percentage of fans or coaches that disagree with what Gundy did and then you might have an argument. If you are going to keep on throwing out media people then you have no argument at all.