George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Having your athletes’ back’s is one thing, but essentially describing Floyd’s death as racially motivated murder without all the facts is way premature. Yes, many signs point to that. But in the US, you’re innocent until PROVEN guilty, or haven’t you heard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What signs point to it being racially motivated? I’m not really following the story so I’m asking in earnest.

Also, I saw somebody post something earlier that said Floyd didn’t die of suffocation but of basically a drug overdose coupled with pre-existing conditions. Was that a hoax or something?
To answer your questions, I don’t know how anyone could conclude with certainty it was racially motivated. I haven’t read where the cop verbally said anything racial, nor if there is anything racial in his history. But I’ll admit, I haven’t read much or even seen the video.

I did read he did not die of asphyxiation, but instead of a pre-existing condition. Don’t know how true that is. Also don’t know if he was on drugs or drunk or other contributing factors.

What I do know is there have been several instances in the recent past where many in the media have promoted the idea a cop has murdered a victim while attempting an arrest only to later find out either the cop’s actions were somewhat justified, and/or the victim contributed to their own demise.

Assuming we know everything necessary to render judgement at this point would seem to be dangerously presumptuous.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
The video certainly looks on the surface to be excessive use of force. But when you resist arrest, you are putting yourself in a precarious situation. Maybe try not being a criminal, not using drugs, and you dont find yourself in any position such as this. Was the cops knee on the mans neck the cause of death? Doubtful. If he was putting that much pressure on his neck, he wouldnt have been able to say he couldnt breathe over and over again. Did keeping his knee on his neck shut off his air supply? Doubt it. Did holding him in that position cause him to go into cardiac arrest? Potentially. He was drugged out, had pre-existing heart and other issues. But, the officers dont know that. All they know is they have a guy that they were able to handcuff and place in the squad car who managed to exit the squad car and was resisting arrest. So, they subdued him. Why? Dont know. Was it a cop just trying to do his job or was it a cop on a power trip? Hard to say. Im in the "let the facts come to light" crowd. Once a trial is complete, if the verdict is not acceptable by those in the police brutality faction, there will be more protests, riots, etc. Our country is falling apart. If we want to fix it, it may be time to divide it into two or three separate countries. Just tired of all the ridiculousness going on out there. 2020 sucks!!

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I believe if civil settlements from police abuse were partially paid out from police pension funds; The ass-cover culture may change and self policing would occur.

I don't know everything, but it seems like we have a problem, and I am spitballing ideas.

I believe money talks and everything else runs the marathon.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Love to see Oklahoma out here getting it right!

https://twitter.com/OKCPD/status/1267258528827428864?s=20
Eventually, when it got dark things went wrong when things were thrown at the cops. Several hours later, at a different location, someone throwing a water bottle at the cops when they started withdrawing, perhaps to end a standoff, was another dumb move. Cops instantly returned tear gas and rubber bullets and the remaining protesters finally fled for good into the darkness.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
The video certainly looks on the surface to be excessive use of force. But when you resist arrest, you are putting yourself in a precarious situation. Maybe try not being a criminal, not using drugs, and you dont find yourself in any position such as this. Was the cops knee on the mans neck the cause of death? Doubtful. If he was putting that much pressure on his neck, he wouldnt have been able to say he couldnt breathe over and over again. Did keeping his knee on his neck shut off his air supply? Doubt it. Did holding him in that position cause him to go into cardiac arrest? Potentially. He was drugged out, had pre-existing heart and other issues. But, the officers dont know that. All they know is they have a guy that they were able to handcuff and place in the squad car who managed to exit the squad car and was resisting arrest. So, they subdued him. Why? Dont know. Was it a cop just trying to do his job or was it a cop on a power trip? Hard to say. Im in the "let the facts come to light" crowd. Once a trial is complete, if the verdict is not acceptable by those in the police brutality faction, there will be more protests, riots, etc. Our country is falling apart. If we want to fix it, it may be time to divide it into two or three separate countries. Just tired of all the ridiculousness going on out there. 2020 sucks!!
Once again, considering what happened to the last man who said I can't breathe, the cop should have instantly took his knee off and set Floyd up. Had the cop done that, maybe Floyd would have lived and the video probably would have gotten no wide airplay. Or if it did, it probably would not have led to nationwide protests and riots. The cops already sensed he needed medical help because an ambulance was called. The chief of police sure thought he knew enough and didn't waste much time firing all cops that were at the scene of the incident. The cop or cops will hopefully get their day in court and sent to prison, if found guilty. I wouldn't want to be in Minneapolis if it's the not guilty verdict.

Our country survived the nonsense of the Vietnam War, political assassinations and race riots from the 60's and 70's. Our country survived 9/11. Our country should be able to survive 2020 and longer.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
To answer your questions, I don’t know how anyone could conclude with certainty it was racially motivated. I haven’t read where the cop verbally said anything racial, nor if there is anything racial in his history. But I’ll admit, I haven’t read much or even seen the video.

I did read he did not die of asphyxiation, but instead of a pre-existing condition. Don’t know how true that is. Also don’t know if he was on drugs or drunk or other contributing factors.

What I do know is there have been several instances in the recent past where many in the media have promoted the idea a cop has murdered a victim while attempting an arrest only to later find out either the cop’s actions were somewhat justified, and/or the victim contributed to their own demise.

Assuming we know everything necessary to render judgement at this point would seem to be dangerously presumptuous.

So no evidence it was racially motivated and no evidence the cop contributed to the guy’s death? Wow. Given the amount of outrage over this I was sure there would be proof of both.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I believe if civil settlements from police abuse were partially paid out from police pension funds; The ass-cover culture may change and self policing would occur.

I don't know everything, but it seems like we have a problem, and I am spitballing ideas.

I believe money talks and everything else runs the marathon.
Paying settlements out of the police pensions would only give cause for every cop to lie to prevent their pension funds from being depleted.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Having your athletes’ back’s is one thing, but essentially describing Floyd’s death as racially motivated murder without all the facts is way premature. Yes, many signs point to that. But in the US, you’re innocent until PROVEN guilty, or haven’t you heard?

They are an athletic department not an American court of law. You are not necessarily innocent until proven guilty for having a smartass look on your face while kneeing someone’s neck for 8 minutes until they die in the opinion of an athletic department. Americans are constitutionally allowed to voice opinions that are formed regardless of what happens in court, or haven’t you heard?

I suppose you now think OJ didn’t kill his wife since he was PROVEN innocent. Or, nah, given your opinions on this issue so far that was a REALLY bad example.
This necessity for entities, like corporations, schools, fraternities (I got an official email from my fraternity I'm an alum of) to make statements is ridiculous. They are only doing it to cover their butts. They don't want to be Facebook, that is getting raked over the coals and being called sympathetic for Trump and white supremacists.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Eventually, when it got dark things went wrong when things were thrown at the cops. Several hours later, at a different location, someone throwing a water bottle at the cops when they started withdrawing, perhaps to end a standoff, was another dumb move. Cops instantly returned tear gas and rubber bullets and the remaining protesters finally fled for good into the darkness.
Those people are Antifa and other anarchist groups, or just looters trying to take advantage of the opportunity. Please don't legitimize them by calling them protesters.
After dark, the people wanting chaos and anarchy, are the ones in the streets.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

They are an athletic department not an American court of law. You are not necessarily innocent until proven guilty for having a smartass look on your face while kneeing someone’s neck for 8 minutes until they die in the opinion of an athletic department. Americans are constitutionally allowed to voice opinions that are formed regardless of what happens in court, or haven’t you heard?

I suppose you now think OJ didn’t kill his wife since he was PROVEN innocent. Or, nah, given your opinions on this issue so far that was a REALLY bad example.
This necessity for entities, like corporations, schools, fraternities (I got an official email from my fraternity I'm an alum of) to make statements is ridiculous. They are only doing it to cover their butts. They don't want to be Facebook, that is getting raked over the coals and being called sympathetic for Trump and white supremacists.

And.....
The poster essentially offering freedom of speech as justification for the ADs statement is incredibly weak, and quite frankly goofy. After all, it’s perfectly within the ADs right simply to make a two word statement - “White Power”. Having the right to make a statement doesn’t make the statement a wise move.

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
And.....
The poster essentially offering freedom of speech as justification for the ADs statement is incredibly weak, and quite frankly goofy. After all, it’s perfectly within the ADs right simply to make a two word statement - “White Power”. Having the right to make a statement doesn’t make the statement a wise move.

My response was to you making a requirement for their statement of "innocent until PROVEN guilty" which you now have learned is wrong.

Mar 11, 2006
I wonder if any of these ivory tower celebrities will use their millions to help these innocent business owners that have lost everything instead of bailing out the rioters and looters from jail.
Some powerful voices need to push back against Colin Kaepernick, Chrissy Teagin, and other celebrities that have encouraged the demonstrations and its violence by offering to pay bail for anyone arrested.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
And.....

My response was to you making a requirement for their statement of "innocent until PROVEN guilty" which you now have learned is wrong.
I made no such requirement. I suggested that the AD give due consideration to the concept of innocent until proven guilty instead of just declaring guilt when making a statement. Besides, your statement about freedom of opinion was stand alone.

And here’s what some of you geniuses fail to recognize. You potentially are the fuel for a massive conflagration by predetermining and announcing his guilt now instead of after our system of justice runs its course. In the unlikely event he is in fact found not guilty, the fact that so many in positions of authority and power (ie universities, politicians, media talking heads, etc..) have already announced his guilt will only give the masses more reason to riot, loot, vandalize and burn down our society. Instead, words of caution and patience would be the wise move.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I made no such requirement. I suggested that the AD give due consideration to the concept of innocent until proven guilty instead of just declaring guilt when making a statement. Besides, your statement about freedom of opinion was stand alone.

And here’s what some of you geniuses fail to recognize. You potentially are the fuel for a massive conflagration by predetermining and announcing his guilt now instead of after our system of justice runs its course. In the unlikely event he is in fact found not guilty, the fact that so many in positions of authority and power (ie universities, politicians, media talking heads, etc..) have already announced his guilt will only give the masses more reason to riot, loot, vandalize and burn down our society. Instead, words of caution and patience would be the wise move.

You can't change what is written above even if you desire that it said something else, or haven't you heard?

Jul 22, 2011
This stopped being about George Floyd a while ago. This is a Marxist putsch using racial hatred as a vehicle.

https://twitter.com/TomBevanRCP/status/1267424581620547584

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

You can't change what is written above even if you desire that it said something else, or haven't you heard?
Quote me if you want to prove your point. And show me how I was proven wrong.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Quote me if you want to prove your point. And show me how I was proven wrong.

I already did that above and even a genius could have already read it.

If you want to boss me around to make up for your inability to read it the first time you are gonna need to pay for the service.