Give Credit Where It Is Due (Will Eat a Little Crow)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Honestly, we played a great game, overall. Of course, there was *zero* defense by both teams. This is just a way of life in the Big 12 now, unfortunately.

I am one of the top people on this forum to crap on Gundy, of course. But I will be honest, I loved the play calling. I liked the passes through the middle. I think, generally speaking, he called a good game. At the bar I was watching at, I was yelling at the TV for them to go for two, and sure enough they did. It's a high risk/high reward gamble, so I'm not mad. Gundy did what I assume the majority of the fanbase wanted, it didn't work out, such is life. But I commend him for growing some nuts at that moment. I'm sure it made OU fans poop their pants. Unfortunately, Cornelius threw the pass too low and not to the outside enough (I feel like he could've floated it to the back corner, but oh well).

I think I'm more upset with the basketball result. That last foul call was complete bullshit. There wasn't a flagrant. *Maybe* an intentional foul, but certainly not a flagrant. We got screwed in that one, but giving up a 22 point lead also was really painful. The offense stagnated. Dziagwa stopped making three's.

It's a rough end to the sports day, everyone. But we live to fight another week.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It is rough being a Pokes fan. We love them and want them to win so bad. You look and say damn we have a great chance to win the game against the Sooners but it always ends the same. A few plays difference and we lose. Tough pill to swallow every year

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
If we would play Bedlam with this same energy and aggressiveness every year Gundy wouldn't be 2-12 in this game.
I absolutely agree. They punched OU in the mouth repeatedly, and also hassled the crap out of them by never giving in. I thought we'd start to go downhill when OU scored to make it 34-21. But we didn't give up. I was happy.

Nov 14, 2010
2-12 for reasons just like yesterday

Game on the line

3 man front

Guess what?

OU runs it right down the field

And on nothing other than their bread and butter counter play.

Playing scared at the worst time on defense like we always do in this game.

Then, the 2 point play.
That play was WAY too difficult of a play to ask a guy like Cornelius to execute under that kind of pressure and it showed.

That play was setup from the FAR hash.

So, It forced Cornelius to throw from the far hash to the opposite flat, and it asked him to do it while on a sprint roll.

So... With all that pressure, Cornelius didn't even get to set his feet

Then he had to throw to a moving Target.

That's a pretty tough play to execute with no pressure on you.

With the game on the line it was way too much for Cornelius to handle.

For $5 million dollars a year, your job is to have a play ready that is much more high percentage with a much lower level of difficulty.

Same as last year when we threw it deep to Tyron to end the game.

Then, terrible special teams, but yet we don't have a Special teams coordinator.

This game yesterday was a perfect example of the mistakes Gundy makes which have led to his 2-12 record against them

To beat OU, you have to have all you i's dotted and t's crossed and Gundy never does and so we get to continue to suffer through yet another loss

When you are paying a coach $5 million dollars a year, the idea of a moral victory doesn't exist.

We still aren't bowl eligible and, by losing like this again, we added another reason for people across the country to keep seeing us as their "little brother".

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Not sure how you can seriously blame Gundy for that loss.
No Special Teams coordinator
That's 100% on him and it cost us big time.

"Play not to lose" 3 man front on OU's game winning drive, like we do every year to get beat by them. That allowed them to run their counter and for Murray to have clean scramble lanes. At least make them do something else in their playbook.

At some point, Gundy has to say, "we might lose, bit it's not going to be because of a 3 man front, AGAIN"

Bad play on the 2 point. Way too high of a level of difficulty for that kind of pressure

Cornelius had to throw from the far hash to the opposite flat to a moving Target and wasn't allowed to get his feet set or square his shoulders. Way too much to ask if him in that situation.

These are the type of decisions that he's made over the years that have led to his 2-12 record.

Yesterday was just another series of them.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
No Special Teams coordinator
That's 100% on him and it cost us big time.

"Play not to lose" 3 man front on OU's game winning drive, like we do every year to get beat by them. That allowed them to run their counter and for Murray to have clean scramble lanes. At least make them do something else in their playbook.

At some point, Gundy has to say, "we might lose, bit it's not going to be because of a 3 man front, AGAIN"

Bad play on the 2 point. Way too high of a level of difficulty for that kind of pressure

Cornelius had to throw from the far hash to the opposite flat to a moving Target and wasn't allowed to get his feet set or square his shoulders. Way too much to ask if him in that situation.

These are the type of decisions that he's made over the years that have led to his 2-12 record.

Yesterday was just another series of them.
Does a ST coord kick fgs and PATs?

Loved the 2 pt play too. I guess you should suit up next game and show us how it’s done, Uncle Rico

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
2-12 for reasons just like yesterday

Game on the line

3 man front

Guess what?

OU runs it right down the field

And on nothing other than their bread and butter counter play.

Playing scared at the worst time on defense like we always do in this game.

Then, the 2 point play.
That play was WAY too difficult of a play to ask a guy like Cornelius to execute under that kind of pressure and it showed.

That play was setup from the FAR hash.

So, It forced Cornelius to throw from the far hash to the opposite flat, and it asked him to do it while on a sprint roll.

So... With all that pressure, Cornelius didn't even get to set his feet

Then he had to throw to a moving Target.

That's a pretty tough play to execute with no pressure on you.

With the game on the line it was way too much for Cornelius to handle.

For $5 million dollars a year, your job is to have a play ready that is much more high percentage with a much lower level of difficulty.

Same as last year when we threw it deep to Tyron to end the game.

Then, terrible special teams, but yet we don't have a Special teams coordinator.

This game yesterday was a perfect example of the mistakes Gundy makes which have led to his 2-12 record against them

To beat OU, you have to have all you i's dotted and t's crossed and Gundy never does and so we get to continue to suffer through yet another loss

When you are paying a coach $5 million dollars a year, the idea of a moral victory doesn't exist.

We still aren't bowl eligible and, by losing like this again, we added another reason for people across the country to keep seeing us as their "little brother".
You know what really makes us look like little brother? Fans like you, and posts like this. YOU SCREAM LITTLE BROTHER and all your armchair coaching makes it worse. Please stop.

Nov 14, 2010
You know what really makes us look like little brother? Fans like you, and posts like this. YOU SCREAM LITTLE BROTHER and all your armchair coaching makes it worse. Please stop.
Okay

Let's keep using 3 man fronts every year and give up game winning drives using those 3 man fronts and let's do it year after year after year.

Let's hire our coordinators from Shippensburg and Duke.

Then, let's not even hire a special teams coordinator, then give up a long return, have a bad penalty, miss a field goal and an extra point, then be forced to go for 2 because of it.

Then, when we do have to go for 2 because we missed an extra point and a field goal, with the game on the line, let's not let our QB set his feet

Let's not take into account that he had never been in that kind of pressure, so, while not getting to set his feet, let's make him throw it from the far hash and to a moving Target.

Then, let's keep getting beat and let's keep singing the praises of a coach that is making $5 million a year, and is now 2-12 against our most hated rival.

Because....
Doing anything other than that screams little brother

I'm pretty sure we got that tag from losing 86% of the games in this series.

You can't make these kind of philosophical and/or tactical errors within your program and expect to beat OU.

Last edited: