1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Gravel/rock prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justin, May 31, 2010.

1. Justin

Justin Deputy

I'm wondering how much is a belly-dump truck load of rock? I need about a 1/4 mile one lane dirt road covered so my drive will no longer get muddy.
  2. LandscapePoke

LandscapePoke Cowboy

Dolese can deliver 24 tons for around $28.00 per ton to Edmond. 1 1/2" clean gravel.
  3. Justin

Justin Deputy

Do you think that would cover a 1/4 mile say about a 1 inch deep? The width of the road would just be a little more than a standard car.
  4. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Cowboy

I may be way off on my math, but you are basically looking at 1800 ft (qtr mile) times 10 feet (width of car) and one inch deep. I think this would probably cost 3-5k dollars for a gravel roadway. There are a number of people here (engineers) that may derive a more accurate picture of your gravel needs, but I think this is pretty close.
  5. RoVerto Solo

Banned RoVerto Solo Banned

1½ Crusher Run Gravel

Call Bernie Mathis Trucking at 745-4310. Ask for Harold Mathis, the owner, to get the best price. He will be there at 7:00 am tomorrow. Tell him Lyle sent you. Lyle is a client of mine who drives a truck for Mathis.

Clean gravel is certainly a pretty white, but it will fail you in time on a road bed.

What you need is 1½ Crusher Run Gravel which is actually cheaper than 1½ clean gravel. Crusher Run has some power in it to hold the gravel on road. You probably need two inches though.

The cost of trucking is where you save the money. The cost of the gravel is all the same. All the gravel that is brought into the OKC Metro comes out of Davis, Okla. from several quarries. Ask for the rock from Dolse Brothers. It is currently the best.

Distance is important in getting your quote. South Edmond will be cheaper than North Edmond.
  6. curtis

curtis Deputy

No

Gravel never goes as far as you think. I'm not sure but I would guess you could put several loads on a 1/4 mile to cover it decently. Most of the cost in gravel is in the hauling and handling. Gravel that is $20+ per ton delivered to you may have been only $7-8 at the quarry. If you have a way to spread it and can find a trucker to haul it direct from a quarry you can probably save some money.
  7. LandscapePoke

LandscapePoke Cowboy

Rule of thumb. 1 ton of most products will cover 80 sq ft 3" deep.

You will want more than 1" deep.

Tons needed = (weight per cubic ft x Cubic ft needed)/2000

Cubic feet needed = Area x depth in feet

Depth in feet = inches deep / 12

Area = Length x width.
    ------------------------------------
    qtr mile is 1320 feet x 8' wide =10,560 sq ft

10,560 x .166 (2 inches) 1752.96 cubic feet

Crusher run is approx 110 lbs per cu ft so
    1752.96 x 110= 192,825.6/2000 = 96.412 tons.

You will need 96.412 tons

The max any trucker can carry is 24 tons. So you will need (4) 24 ton truck loads.

96 tons x $28.00 = $2,688.00

now all you have to do is spread it.
    hope you have a good wheelbarrow and shovel!!:D:D
  8. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    If you have a clay base road, the clean gravel may work for you. If you have a sandy base, the crusher run is better. I maintain a lot of oil field lease roads but most of my rock is delivered in bob-tail dump trucks. One load ( about 14 tons) will cover 200-300 feet, depending how soft the ground is. You may want to put a top cap of screenings over the larger gravel to provide a smoother ride with less noise.
  9. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin Cowboy

I've had good luck buying from this guy at his quarry...

[​IMG]
  10. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

Wow, I Googled the price of gravel delivered and the 3rd hit was OP. Nice!
    dds115 and zachya like this.