Gundy’s comments today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Seems to me it's part of public figures weighing in on a wider & wider variety of topics that are out of their field, & inevitably, sounding really dumb while doing so. Actors, musicians, athletes, you name it, they do it all the time.

Having said that, I think there's a big segment of us that just want a coach to coach, an actor to act, etc... I really don't care & don't wanna hear their thoughts or ideas on anything else at all

This exactly, celebrities need to stick with what made them famous and not weigh in on things they clearly are not qualified to give an opinion on. I don't ask my doctor why we don't use the tight end over the middle more often.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Seems to me it's part of public figures weighing in on a wider & wider variety of topics that are out of their field, & inevitably, sounding really dumb while doing so. Actors, musicians, athletes, you name it, they do it all the time.

Having said that, I think there's a big segment of us that just want a coach to coach, an actor to act, etc... I really don't care & don't wanna hear their thoughts or ideas on anything else at all

This exactly, celebrities need to stick with what made them famous and not weigh in on things they clearly are not qualified to give an opinion on. I don't ask my doctor why we don't use the tight end over the middle more often.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thing is, your doctor doesn't have thousands of sycophants on Twitter, etc... in his ear telling him "yeah, you're right about the tight end over the middle!", but the other people do. They're constantly patted on the back in 140 words or less in massively oversimplified posts that fail to account for any nuance in extremely complex issues.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Are you not getting the irony of this statement of yours?

Look, it is what it is, but read the guys entire comments and then decide for yourself if he isn't being taken badly out of context. Do you also have an issue with Dabo's comments among other coaches?
I really like your takes on the board, in general. We probably agree on 95% of stuff. This just isn’t one of them.

I read his comments in context. I listened to extended audio. I agree he was taken out of context. But that’s part of the problem. He’s been doing this long enough to know he WILL be taken out of context. I believe he’s smarter than that. Additionally, his framing of medical experts as “so called” and pointing people to OANN instead, that needed no context.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I really like your takes on the board, in general. We probably agree on 95% of stuff. This just isn’t one of them.

I read his comments in context. I listened to extended audio. I agree he was taken out of context. But that’s part of the problem. He’s been doing this long enough to know he WILL be taken out of context. I believe he’s smarter than that. Additionally, his framing of medical experts as “so called” and pointing people to OANN instead, that needed no context.
I don't think I would have done that...but I'm not Mike Gundy...look, he is who he is...I think people should be allowed to be who they are. IMHO, his comments weren't unreasonable, at least no more than Dabos...Its certainly fine to disagree....I can totally respect that. Have a great day!

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
I'm on record as being totally against what Gundy said and I'm also on record as being a Poke fan for 40 years. With equal prejudice I do have to wonder how many people would be defending Mike if he had just run off a string of 5 straight 6-6 seasons? I wonder what Traber's truth serum would reveal about those devout defenders of Mike's free speech and honest optimism. On any game day that results in a loss of a football game there are countless in this forum that want to "Fire his ass," for bad judgment and decision making.

Jan 17, 2011
Seemed to me around 18-24 months ago that they just completely sold out and with that they just threw click bait/controversial headlines to generate traffic. Also saw an uptick in the amount of merchandise they were trying to sell and trying to force everyone to their 'premium' site.

Who knows what any of those guys actually think, but the takes they publish strike me as consistently negative about OSU now and a bit heavy on their admiration of OU/Riley. I probably read 5% of what they put out at this point and had to completely stop listening to their podcast - which is just too much bro and Gundy hate mixed together for me.
Yes! The Riley love is insane. I wonder since they started getting a bit of natty press paying attention to them, they now have to “win the approval” of those and can’t be just a good ol’ homer site.

unlike Texas and OU...because they definitely don’t have any of that...

Mar 11, 2006
I'm on record as being totally against what Gundy said and I'm also on record as being a Poke fan for 40 years. With equal prejudice I do have to wonder how many people would be defending Mike if he had just run off a string of 5 straight 6-6 seasons? I wonder what Traber's truth serum would reveal about those devout defenders of Mike's free speech and honest optimism. On any game day that results in a loss of a football game there are countless in this forum that want to "Fire his ass," for bad judgment and decision making.
I can definitely tell you my thoughts on Gundys statement has zero to do with his record.

IMO, it stupid for a leader not to be planning ahead. We should be calling for Gundy to be fired if he wasn’t looking at alternatives. It is shocking to me that there are people that don’t understand that leadership requires planning with multiple options. Or that they think the only option is to hunker down in our house and never leave for 120 days.

There are zero successful companies that are not actively planning for many restart dates. Teams are no exception. It is comical that the day after Gundy said this that MLB announced they are reviewing game playing options for May. And two days later Steve Mnuchin said he can see economy restart in May.

Apr 7, 2006
If you read through the entire transcript what you find is there is a lot of compliments to all the people helping the nation through this and lots of thoughts on this unprecedented situation. I didn't interpret anything said as downplaying the severity of the situation, but I think he's eager (like everyone) to get to work and offering up thoughts on how he could get his organization back to work. I don't know any company who hasn't done/isn't doing the same. If I felt like he was trying to question the severity of the virus or influence the university's decisions on the handling of students I'd have a problem. I didn't see that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If he had sucked as a football coach he would have been gone a long time ago...those two things are mutually exclusive of one another. Dang straight that he has more latitude because he's a great coach...just as Dabo does. I'm personally glad that's the case and we don't have a candy ass afraid of his shadow coach and I've been a Poke fan for over 50 years...so there! :)

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
I can definitely tell you my thoughts on Gundys statement has zero to do with his record.

IMO, it stupid for a leader not to be planning ahead. We should be calling for Gundy to be fired if he wasn’t looking at alternatives. It is shocking to me that there are people that don’t understand that leadership requires planning with multiple options. Or that they think the only option is to hunker down in our house and never leave for 120 days.

There are zero successful companies that are not actively planning for many restart dates. Teams are no exception. It is comical that the day after Gundy said this that MLB announced they are reviewing game playing options for May. And two days later Steve Mnuchin said he can see economy restart in May.
I don't think anyone is arguing the point that he should be planning ahead. Just do it in a professional manner like 99.9% of the other coaches in the country instead of insulting "so called medical people" and rambling about 18, 19 year olds like they are nothing but dollar signs and throwing out arbitrary dates that conflict with reality on the ground. Being a leader is more than some homespun persona. It is more than mullets and bare chested pep rallies, it is about credibility.
Being one of the "crotchety." "Get off my lawn" set, I've never been a fan of Mike's lust for attention and I know his antics are designed to attract a certain demographic. Folks, he's 53 now. He's closer to my age group than of that he's trying to impress. If football is the bottom line for most people here, I will say that 45th ranked recruiting classes is not giving me confidence that his shtick is working any more. Time to grow up and try to impress young people and their parents with his football prowess. He's a helluva coach. Try being that for a change.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
and I know his antics are designed to attract a certain demographic. .
This is the only part of your post I really disagree with. It implies more planning and intent than is true. Gundy has a ton of IDGAF and he gets to rambling saying things that could have been said better, or not said at all. Just like the rant he does it with little planning and sees how it shakes out later on.

His lack of filter can be part of his "charm", but it creates cringe worthy moments.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
PAGE!!!
I find it amusing that this is no longer talked about anywhere else in the news world, yet here you clowns are, 10 NOW 11 pages deep.

Last edited: