Gundy - Look at me again

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/13/17236914/mike-gundy-took-off-shirt-bob-stoops-video-tribute

You guys mostly think it's cute. I think it turning a little too Kardashian.

Well, Mike Gundy went shirtless during a video tribute to Bob Stoops

Yes, this headline is real! Retired Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops is being honored in Norman all weekend, ahead of the Sooners’ spring game this Saturday. The weekend is being dubbed “Salute to Stoops,” and on Friday night, several former and current head coaches honored Stoops, including Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy. The Pokes’ head coach decided to go shirtless for his tribute via video, naturally:

My favorite part about this is how he leans into this act by simply taking off his “snake boots” before telling Stoops they can go swimming down in Florida together someday.

This is far from the first time Gundy has gone shirtless. During a pep rally at an Oklahoma State pep rally, he went shirtless, which got a huge roar from the crowd:

Apr 19, 2011
Gundy is a class act along with Stoops. Bob deserves all the praise he is getting this weekend. Looks like Riley is turning up recruiting with two 5 star recruits committing today. Blessed to have Gundy!

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Theatrics are fun but please stop taking your damn shirt off. Starting to look like a hipster wannabe who just wants the spotlight on himself IMO.

I’d rather him be planning on how to not blow 3 games at home with your best offensive team ever rather than this stuff. Guy just wings it and hopes for the best.

#getanewgimmick
#winsomething

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
lol good grief - lighten up. If you have a problem with his behavior then you take life way too seriously. I'm glad he doesnt.

Keep popping that shirt off, Coach! Keep having fun and making the most out of your life coaching your school!

#ifyougotitflauntit
#getalifejimmythegeek
#heswonplenty

Sep 16, 2004
Houston, TX
Theatrics are fun but please stop taking your damn shirt off. Starting to look like a hipster wannabe who just wants the spotlight on himself IMO.

I’d rather him be planning on how to not blow 3 games at home with your best offensive team ever rather than this stuff. Guy just wings it and hopes for the best.

#getanewgimmick
#winsomething
IMG_9514.JPG

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/13/17236914/mike-gundy-took-off-shirt-bob-stoops-video-tribute

You guys mostly think it's cute. I think it turning a little too Kardashian.

Well, Mike Gundy went shirtless during a video tribute to Bob Stoops

Yes, this headline is real! Retired Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops is being honored in Norman all weekend, ahead of the Sooners’ spring game this Saturday. The weekend is being dubbed “Salute to Stoops,” and on Friday night, several former and current head coaches honored Stoops, including Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy. The Pokes’ head coach decided to go shirtless for his tribute via video, naturally:

My favorite part about this is how he leans into this act by simply taking off his “snake boots” before telling Stoops they can go swimming down in Florida together someday.

This is far from the first time Gundy has gone shirtless. During a pep rally at an Oklahoma State pep rally, he went shirtless, which got a huge roar from the crowd:
Gundy likes to be the center of attention; that shouldn’t surprise anyone. But comparing him to a Kardashian is absurd. He recently put up the funds to increase security in Stillwater schools and has been a vocal supporter of Oklahoma teachers. He is an integral member of his local community, and despite occasional flamboyance and eccentricity, he’s been a solid ambassador for the university and the state.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy likes to be the center of attention; that shouldn’t surprise anyone. But comparing him to a Kardashian is absurd. He recently put up the funds to increase security in Stillwater schools and has been a vocal supporter of Oklahoma teachers. He is an integral member of his local community, and despite occasional flamboyance and eccentricity, he’s been a solid ambassador for the university and the state.
I like the guy. It's hard not to. And those things he does that go viral are sometimes pretty cool, but some of them are just trying too hard and look silly to anyone who can't do an entire load of laundry just separating the "Oranges".

I know, I know, who cares and all that stuff. I just think he's trying too hard. Anyone can get a camera pointed at them if they want to bad enough. As far as "solid ambassador" those aren't the words that come to mind when he takes his shirt off for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
I like the guy. It's hard not to. And those things he does that go viral are sometimes pretty cool, but some of them are just trying too hard and look silly to anyone who can't do an entire load of laundry just separating the "Oranges".

I know, I know, who cares and all that stuff. I just think he's trying too hard. Anyone can get a camera pointed at them if they want to bad enough. As far as "solid ambassador" those aren't the words that come to mind when he takes his shirt off for no apparent reason whatsoever.
Here are just a few recent articles from national sources about Gundy and what he is doing off of the football field. I have yet to find one that mentions him shirtless.
As for being an ambassador for the state, I’d take a shirtless Gundy over other Oklahomans currently making national news (Scott Pruitt, Brian Davis, Mary Fallin, etc.).

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Gundy is a class act along with Stoops. Bob deserves all the praise he is getting this weekend. Looks like Riley is turning up recruiting with two 5 star recruits committing today. Blessed to have Gundy!
Not trying to push this to B&F, but Stoops is way overrated as a "class act". Those who pay much attention know he will do as much as he can get away with. Everyone seems to dismiss the fact that OU got thrown on probation under his watch. Under his watch they played several players who had pretty serious run ins with the law and actively buried the Joltin Joe tape. He was a "class act" when things got exposed to the point he had to be.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Anybody old enough to remember our straight arrow, hard line Head Football Coach Jim Stanley? I’ll take Mike Grundy and his antics any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He clearly wanted to coach football and only coach football. He wanted no part of that recruiting, PR, media, fund raising stuff.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Anybody old enough to remember our straight arrow, hard line Head Football Coach Jim Stanley? I’ll take Mike Grundy and his antics any day.

He clearly wanted to coach football and only coach football. He wanted no part of that recruiting, PR, media, fund raising stuff.
Or winning.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Question is can gundy win more than two a decade against Riley. Stoops owned him but maybe he can squeeze a few more by Lincoln considering he is new blood.
Seen the way Riley is recruiting and improving? Emphasis has been placed on defense and the recruits and coaches are coming in.

The only thing Gundy changes is his gimmicks to get a viral headline. He’s a circus sideshow. Get a real coach. You’ll get real results.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

#getanewgimmick
#winsomething
i don’t think the 30 seconds spent on the theatrics 4-1/2 months away from the next game would have much bearing on the upcoming season planning wise. I’ll bet you are a hoot down at the retirement home.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The only thing Gundy changes is his gimmicks to get a viral headline. He’s a circus sideshow. Get a real coach. You’ll get real results.

96 wins in the last decade. No that's not the goal, but all things considered, I would say he has produced some real results.

As far as changes, Gundy has been pretty innovative in several ways that others in the conference have copied:

His use of camps to reach recruits.
He was ahead of the curve with his version of the spread offense others have copied.
Dozens of uniform designs that resonate with the younger fans and recruits.
Outside the box pick of a Division 2 coach for Offensive Coordinator that has remained loyal (so far) despite having some of the highest ranked offenses in his tenure.
Use of analysts that keeps making the rating services look stupid when another 35th ranked class produces a 12th ranked team.
Scaled back contact time in practices to reduce fatigue and injuries.

I gave you plenty of fodder to push this in the direction of the B&F forum, but before you start taking shots at all those bullet points, keep in mind a school in a town of 48,000, an hours drive away from anywhere big enough to have an actual shopping mall, with a pretty lean history of football success has produced more wins in the past decade than schools like UT, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Penn State, Arkansas, Michigan, Florida, Miami, USC, Notre Dame... you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.