Gundys contract readjusted.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Either way, it says that it was Gundy's suggestion/offer. Not forced.

We won't know exactly how it came about, but this is the official word.

Last edited:

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
what i've seen happen to mike is from my eye appalling. the last straw being holder making this some sort of 'look at me' moment on twitter. disgusting management. if mike, i'd tell him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, send the contract to arbitration, and head to a new school. too bad your politics are conservative, mike.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
He’s fortunate they hadn’t already adjusted his salary in response to COVID-19. It looks like most coaching staffs are taking 5-10% pay cuts. If this is a $1 million pay cut over the 5 year contract, that’s not even a 5% cut. Losing a year is the bigger loss. That’s 20% of his contract if he doesn’t get another extension (I assume he’ll retire at that point).
So I think a covid paycut will be coming, it’s just they haven’t actually had to yet because our season ticket sales held pat at last year’s numbers. But once reduced capacity becomes official another paycut will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I actually think this is a very nice move from coach. Money is the only way to truly show any impact, so this can indicate real change from MG in the future. Part of being a CFB coach is developing young men, Gundy not spending enough time with his players directly contradicts that. Since he ignored a part of job he doesn’t deserve his whole salary, but I’m very impressed that coach took that responsibility on himself and also saw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
He’s fortunate they hadn’t already adjusted his salary in response to COVID-19. It looks like most coaching staffs are taking 5-10% pay cuts. If this is a $1 million pay cut over the 5 year contract, that’s not even a 5% cut. Losing a year is the bigger loss. That’s 20% of his contract if he doesn’t get another extension (I assume he’ll retire at that point).
I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of his motivation for suggesting the change. Everyone knows cuts will be necessary. This was an opportunity for him to contribute to that while at the same time making a statement he is committed to change.

Also, I'm not sure what the cut was per year, but losing a year off the contact is nothing small either.

Nov 6, 2010
Does anyone think shaving that year off the end is part of crafting a succession plan?? Seems that would coincide about with his son's eligibility, and that would certainly qualify as change. Maybe Dunn will start on the job interviewing for the position this year??

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Also, I'm not sure what the cut was per year, but losing a year off the contact is nothing small either.
The article I read wasn’t clear, but it read like a $1 million one-time reduction. Since he was making something around $5.1 million/year, losing the one year is definitely the bigger cut - as I was saying.
Does anyone think shaving that year off the end is part of crafting a succession plan?? Seems that would coincide about with his son's eligibility, and that would certainly qualify as change. Maybe Dunn will start on the job interviewing for the position this year??
I wonder the same. As much as I love what Gundy has done for the program, it might be good timing.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
what i've seen happen to mike is from my eye appalling. the last straw being holder making this some sort of 'look at me' moment on twitter. disgusting management. if mike, i'd tell him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, send the contract to arbitration, and head to a new school. too bad your politics are conservative, mike.
and what school would that be?

Nov 6, 2010
The article I read wasn’t clear, but it read like a $1 million one-time reduction. Since he was making something around $5.1 million/year, losing the one year is definitely the bigger cut - as I was saying.

I wonder the same. As much as I love what Gundy has done for the program, it might be good timing.
The old "head coach in waiting" thing seems to always go sideways, but maybe if there is a definite start/end date, it could work. I think there has to be a reason the powers that be let Gleason go after 1 year and made sure to keep Dunn. I guess we'll see it play out.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
They had to of totally redone the contract and taken duties away. You can't pay someone less for the same work from the previous year if they are a state employee.

Oct 30, 2007
They had to of totally redone the contract and taken duties away. You can't pay someone less for the same work from the previous year if they are a state employee.
It's my understanding that Coach Gundy's base annual salary is only $500K. The vast majority of his income is considered "supplemental compensation." So this probably won't be an issue.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK

I think the succession plan has been in work for a long time. I honestly think all that shuffling and rumors with coaches last year was evidence of it. I think the rough plan is for Monken to be the next head coach and they were looking to bring him in here in some form but it didn't work out.