1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Guns and violence

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by RxCowboy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Is buying beer illegal?

And you're right about teaching her kids. We may disagree though exactly what it was she was teaching them.
  2. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

I believe the subsets would support the overall statistics but it would be interesting to look at the different layers of those stats. I am certain the FBI website has lots of data for inspection.
  3. JAYBEE

JAYBEE Cowboy

It's a tough question. It seems that strict gun control would curb violence but that is far from certain. And I think we have a basic right to defend ourselves when violently threatened. Add to that the fact that wannabe tyrannical governments usually seek to eliminate guns from public ownership and that certain of our people are not particularly trusting of government in general, certainly not the present one we are seeing.
  4. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Whom do gun control measures "control"?

Honest citizens or criminals?

I believe we all know the answer.
  5. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

Not just death penalty but a requirement for administering it within a relatively short time frame. The death penalty is not a deterrent in this country because DP convicts are more afraid of dying of cancer or heart disease then getting the needle.......In this day and age, 10 years would be considered fast for administering justice.
    Slugger926 likes this.
  6. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

Licensing for a constitutional right? Just think about that for a moment and when you still think it's a good idea, think about it using one of the other rights we have. Yea, you tend to like personal liberties, but only the one's that you practice.

I don't trust any government to grant approval for it's citizens to own guns. There are already laws against using one illegally. Do you really think the criminal won't use a gun if he doesn't have a license? No, he will break into another house and steal one that was purchased by a citizen.

Our government's job is not to regulate the citizen. It is their job to see that our borders are protected and that out laws are upheld. Maybe we should start there and leave the tax-paying, hard working, law abiding citizen alone.
    OSU Sig, State, zachya and 1 other person like this.
  7. Erick

I am sorry, you have exceeded your 9,000 post limit. Any level headed American knows that you don't need 9,001 posts to voice your opinion.

Does the word "Right" mean anything to you? If a government has the power to grant a license, it has the power to deny a license.....for what ever purpose they choose. Few things tick me off more than a person who has no education about firearms or the history they have played in this country that thinks they know what's best for the rest of us.
    OSU Sig, zachya and dds115 like this.
  8. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

If the right to vote and the right to own guns are both guaranteed by the constitution why do we need background checks for one and not the other?
    zachya and bleedinorange like this.
  9. Dez4Prez2012

Dez4Prez2012 Cowboy

If someone in my neighborhood is a drunk that gets popped with a DUI what good is taking my car away?

The way to curb violence is not trying to take away guns. Guns aren't violent, people are. There are a lot of guns in Canada but not a lot of violence...unless you watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
    zachya likes this.
  10. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

Merely for the reason that votes don't kill, but bullets do.
  11. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

Then be sure to vote for Obama so he will win again so as to force people to feel they have no choice but to buy yet more guns.
  12. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

They hunt 53 different animals?:pistols:

I'll go on record as saying I do want a gun. Do I have any particular reason? No, but I'd like one. I enjoy shooting. Do I see the rationale in owning 10+ guns? No, because there isn't one. You're a hunter? Cool. Three rifles, two shotguns, MAYBE one large caliber pistol. Anything past that and you'd be making up reasons to own more. Home defense? Shotgun. Carry? Pistol. Do you need more? Also, that's a lot of money. Yeesh.
  13. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Why does it matter how many guns a person owns?
  14. ksupoke

A/V Subscriber ksupoke I've never studied a HS recruits tape

Here's a reminder. Our right to bear arms is to allow us to, provide for, protect ourselves, and our homes from THE GOVERNMENT. We are not given the liberty to keep arms with the idea that we are going to shoot every trespasser regardless of the threat.
  15. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Need? you are the authority on how many items a person needs? Really, now. you should read Erick's posts on this topic.
  16. CocoCincinnati

CocoCincinnati Cowboy

17. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

I read his post on this topic. If you're implying that I'm uneducated about firearms or somehow unaware of the "history they played in this country," then you'd be mistaken. I'm simply saying that you can't prove to me there's a logical basis for owning that many guns. Is it your right? The 2nd Amendment says it is. But it's silly to own that many.
  18. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

"Well, if the government tries to take away all of my guns, then do you REALLY think the criminals will be affected equally?"

No. Criminals will find a way to get their hands on firearms. Just as -- I suspect -- many previously law abiding citizens will. People who REALLY want to get their hands on firearms will always be able to, no matter which side of the Good-Bad moral spectrum they place themselves upon. You can't convince me that a man who owned 15 guns before the government took them away (which will never happen, btw) wouldn't try to turn to the Black Market to get his hands on more firearms. He might have to limit himself to only a few, but, I don't see how anyone else doesn't realize this is a likelihood.
  19. Erick

Does a man hunt elk with the same gun as he does deer? Does a man teach his kid to shoot on the same 12 gauge he shoots duck with? Do you shoot rabbit with a high power rifle? Is he limited to owning one handgun to target shoot and carry? Does he sell his guns when his grandfather passes one down to him? I could go on and on but it doesn't matter because you simple don't understand what our rights mean to us. To you it's "silly". Please don't run for an elected office.
    ksupoke, zachya and dds115 like this.
  20. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

I've already said I'd like to own a firearm because I enjoy shooting. You're stating that I don't understand what "your" rights mean to you, which doesn't make sense. They're my rights as well, which I've proven I understand because I said I'd like to own a firearm. I'll just never own as many as some other people because I don't see the need. And out of all of the scenarios you just mentioned, there's still not room in there for 10+ guns. And you don't have to worry about me running for an elected office. Politics are a waste of time and rife with lobbyists and corruption.