Heating a tent

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I used to know a man who served in WW2 and was stationed in Alaska. He told once about sleeping out when they were out on maneuvers. Said the sleeping bags they were issued would keep them warm but they had to undress before getting in them so as not to sweat in their clothes. That was the worst part he said, undressing and getting out to dress in the morning.

I agree with getting a good sleeping bag. If you try using a heater, besides being a fire hazard, don't forget about carbon monoxide.
Everything I've read has said, "don't use a heater while you're asleep." So, you can use it to take the edge off while changing, doing other things in the tent, but once it's lights-off a good sleeping bag is still a necessity. I bought a Mr. Heater.

Any recs on a good sleeping bag?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Everything I've read has said, "don't use a heater while you're asleep." So, you can use it to take the edge off while changing, doing other things in the tent, but once it's lights-off a good sleeping bag is still a necessity. I bought a Mr. Heater.

I would go to either an academy or bass pro shop or whatever you have there and look them over

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater

Ascend Hex 0* Mummy Sleeping Bag... Cabelas carries(d)? them. Fantastic bag.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Cabelas a couple of miles from my house. No Academy. Bass Pro shop about 30 minutes away in Cincy.
cabelas it is. Check one out then get online reviews. But make sure you like the inside first.

Example: I hate feathers. I had to see it in store to make sure there were no feathers.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Cabelas a couple of miles from my house. No Academy. Bass Pro shop about 30 minutes away in Cincy.
cabelas it is. Check one out then get online reviews. But make sure you like the inside first.

Example: I hate feathers. I had to see it in store to make sure there were no feathers.
Also, depending on your size of body, make sure it will fit you. Extra tall? Check sizing. Around 250 lbs or more? check sizing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Here we are talking about heating a tent and I'm going to be on a campout this weekend with a couple of my little kids and it's supposed to be freezing Friday. Ugh

Fall camping is the best. Build a big camp fire and sit around it with your kids as long as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, Friday dipped down to 29. We Were camping near Arcadia. I think the kids were warmer than me. At least in the tent.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Have done plenty of cold weather camping over the years.

One thing I'd add to the discussion is that the temperature ratings on sleeping bags are probably exaggerated by 10-15 degrees. In other words, a bag may be "rated to -20", but it'll be cold as hell if you get anywhere near that actual temperature. I swear they come up the "ratings" from a criteria of "will it keep you vital organs functioning?"

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Have done plenty of cold weather camping over the years.

One thing I'd add to the discussion is that the temperature ratings on sleeping bags are probably exaggerated by 10-15 degrees. In other words, a bag may be "rated to -20", but it'll be cold as hell if you get anywhere near that actual temperature. I swear they come up the "ratings" from a criteria of "will it keep you vital organs functioning?"
My sleeping bag is rated to 10 degrees, but it didn't handle 40s well, thus the thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk