1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Honest question re: WVU and A&M changing conferences

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by fig96, Feb 14, 2012.

1. fig96

fig96 Deputy

This is something I've noticed here and other places and I'm curious to get people's opinions. I'm not going to argue or discuss and I won't even respond after the initial post, I'm just trying to understand where people are coming from.

A&M seems to have been heavily criticized for their move to the SEC, accused of everything from breaching a contract to attempting to destroy the Waco economy (I admit that one makes me giggle). West Virginia, in comparison, is breaking a more recently agreed to and very similar agreement with the Big East (that many would say makes little geographic sense) yet seems to have pretty much escaped criticism from the media and fans. That does probably have somewhat to do with regional coverage, I'd think that if we were to dig into papers and websites covering that region of the country we'd see some negative coverage.

So my question: is that just my perspective or do you see the positive/negative coverage of the two moves similarly? Do you share that opinion and if so or if not, why?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

2. Carneyman14

Carneyman14 Amazing golf ball whacker guy A/V Subscriber

Lets get this guy some Johnnies

ProPoke, CrazySooner and Pokengineer like this.
  3. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Sheriff

Well....

There isn't much comparison.

WVU made their move known after two other teams in their conference decided to leave. A&M decided they would stick around. Then after they turned down an offer with Texas to start a TV network, Texas did it alone. Then A&M got all up in arms about it. And took their ball and went home.

A&M, like Misery, stayed after the initial departures. WVU started looking around at the first sign of losing schools in the BE.

A&M has a major inferiority complex due to being in Texas' shadow. They also have a false sense of greatness.

WVU doesnt!

4. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

I think a lot of it is regional.

Also I think A&M is getting more negative pub with this move because it has destroyed a long running tradition, which ironically something Aggies seem to cherish above all else.

How many years combined has A&Ms rivalries between Texas, Tech, and Baylor been played? Aggies will argue the LHN this and the LHN that, but ultimately the administration made the move to put those rivalries in jeopardy.

I don't know much about the backyard brawl, but Pitt was the one who made the first move to jeopardize that. Additionally, I'm not sure football means as much to that area of the country as it does to Texas and the south.

I'm unbiased in the fact that I like neither Texas nor A&M (and effing hate OU), but I always watch those fun Thanksgiving weekend games. I dislike A&M a little more now for purposefully ending them and disturbing my Thanksgiving weekend football viewing.

ladycowboy likes this.
  5. stated

stated Sheriff

Same shirt, different day.

PistolChad likes this.
  6. NJAggie

NJAggie Sheriff

First I agree both schools have every right to move on wherever they wish.

However, I don't see them as the same. I see aTm imagining a lot of issues that they'll simply see again in their new environs. I think you guys will be more unhappy in the SEC as you wer in the Big XII. You need to look inside that's where the unhappiness lies not in the teams your playing.

WVU was a long suffering member of a poorly run league that dumped on the football teams regularly. With that situation getting even less attractive they wanted to get into a league that would let them reach their true potential.

7. croc_hunter

croc_hunter Cowboy

I personally think the WV move fits perfectly while A&M move makes no sense.

WV move makes sense financially (huge income boost) and moves them from dominating a crappy conference into being competitive in a better conference.

A&M move is a wash financially and competition wise they are moving from bottom third of big 12 to bottom quarter of SEC.

I don't see it making much sense.

8. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Deputy

So did A&M. Nebraska and Colorado left a year ago.

9. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Deputy

I think a decent argument could be made that West Virginia has outgrown the current, dilapidated Big East, particularly since they own 6 of the last 9 Big East Championships. In contrast, Texas A&M has not won the Big 12 since 1998 and has regressed since then while OSU, Baylor, and T-Tech have improved in the past decade. I think a lot of people feel like A&M's attitude is, "If you can't beat 'em, leave 'em."

10. PistolChad

PistolChad Galaxy Stranger A/V Subscriber

I think both moves make sense.

Both moves are upgrades in conferences.

I think neither team will ever become a national power, but A&M has a better chance if they can truly differentiate themselves from Texas.

11. Celldweller7

Celldweller7 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

We have to remember, A&M began its flirtation with the SEC when the Big 12 was at the height of its instability. I don't think it is the best possible decision A&M could've made, but it isn't the worst. Lord knows, I was hoping the P16 deal was going to happen and that we'd be part of the party that killed the Big 12.

OrangeFan69 likes this.
  12. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Federal Marshal

It's the reason for A&M leaving the Big XII conference that draws my criticism, not the way that they went about it.

13. fig96

fig96 Deputy

Some good feedback, thanks guys, it's interesting to hear different perspectives. Just one comment (couldn't resist, sorry)...

I think the assumption is that while the current financials are about the same there's a large expected gain when the SEC renegotiates it's tv deals. I've heard varying reports on whether that will be sooner or later.

14. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Sheriff

Because no one cares about keeping the Big East together. That is the simple answer. People have been dubious about their automatic bid in football for awhile now, and their basketball can stay mostly independent of that. The Big East smarts more from Pitts basketball defection than WVU's football defection in their eyes.

The Big 12 is a much more critical piece to keep together, and people feel that if it dissolves, it could be the end of college football as we know it. With WVU's and TCU's acceptance into the conference, I feel a lot of the fear and ill will has passed. Now, I personally hate the fact that a Texas school is joining the SEC conference as a Texan because Texas isn't part of the Deep South, which I consider a good thing. The Big 12 unified the major schools into a region that clearly separated it from the West, Northwest/Midwest/whatever you want to call Ohio, and the South. It was an identity I found important and with A&Ms exit feels somewhat lost. While Texas does share some culture in common with the South, most if it is culture I am not proud of, and I don't think is representative of Texas A&M.

Al_4_ISU likes this.
  15. NYC Poke

NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica A/V Subscriber

A&M began its flirtation with the SEC long before that, when the SWC died and Arkansas joined the SEC. Apparently, A&M is jealous of what Arkansas has accomplished in that time.

16. SLVRBK

SLVRBK Moderator Staff A/V Subscriber

I changed my mind on aTm when they killed the PAC deal...I was happy to head West with the South Division, I thought the South was one of the toughest Divisions in college football. I never really understood the culture argument because the culture of our Division would change very little and never cared what CAL, WASH or UCLA fans thought of our schools. The move wasn't about money or culture or fleeing a dying conference...face it the B12 was going to grow and get stronger through conference expansion but aTm wanted something else. The Ags looked at this as a way to set themselves apart from UT and OU but I don't think it will work out in their favor.

17. Busterz

Busterz Deputy

I think A&M caught more flak in the media because they were seen as a catalyst of the instability in the Big 12. Things appeared to have settled down after Nebraska and CU left but they reignited things. And they did it at a time when the media had time to cover it. If I remeber right it started before the football season kicked off.

I think WV is viewed by the media as jumping from a sinking ship And they did it int he middle of football basketball season so the coverage wasn't as intense. Although I'm not so sur they don't deserve more scrutiny for agreeing to stay and then leaving only a month(?) or so later.

I don't know how its going to go. A&M could go either way. They will have more money but money was never their problem. I'm not sure I see WV as a long term member but they are probably some mmebership changes still coming that could change that.

18. croc_hunter

croc_hunter Cowboy

Fig, that would be true only if A&M start winning...losing a lot will offset any gain in TV deals.

19. NJAggie

NJAggie Sheriff

Not really, the SEC is going to probably get hold even money now, and then when the contract is up (in what 15 years) it will get a bump up. Probably past the Big XII, but the Big XII will have been getting more per team for a decade before that occurs.

20. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Sheriff

Do I need to spell it out?

WVU decided to move as two other teams decided to move.

Once Pitt and Syracuse decided to leave, it essentially gave WVU no option but to move, unless they wanted to play in a glorified MAC or CUSA.

ladycowboy, oufannot and PlatypusJojo like this.