Howdy former conferencemates!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 21, 2011
You appear to be a big "Look at me! Look at me!" guy. Here's an entire article written about you that you should enjoy. Look at all the attention you're getting! You're SOMEBODY now!

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article192553079.html
Mac Engel LOVES bagging on A&M. Great clickbait I suppose. All SEC fans chant SEC at any OOC team they beat. LSU fans chanted it at us when they beat us in the Cotton Bowl.

Mac should be kissing A&M's furry beanbag since we're the reason his Alma Mater is in the Big12 in the first place.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
At first I thought bigger is better but look at the toll it has taken on the 3 conferences that grew as the Big 12 shrank. PAC 12 is now, for the most part, a very weak conference. The Big 10 didn't get any stronger as a conference, it's Ohio State and everyone else. You could argue for Wisconsin/Penn State being strong but they aren't stronger because of expansion. The SEC has Alabama, LSU, and Georgia but the addition of Mizzou aTm and even Arkansas has thinned out their strength no matter what ESPN says. The Big 12 still puts teams in the playoffs and Always has 2 teams in Super 6 Bowls and now shares the revenue with 2 less teams. I think as long as the Big 12 continues to put 2 teams in the Super 6 bowls they are in the best position of all the conferences. 10 teams all playing each other makes for a more competitive season and historically the Big 12 does really well in their bowl games. If adding 2 more teams gets you 1 more bowl and 1 more non-con game is it worth the revenue you lose by sharing with the 2 extra teams and the loss in competition? For me I think we are where we need to be, and TBH I didn't feel that way when we first went to 10 teams.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Perception is everything. I think we all agree that Nebraska fell the hardest. Colorado already fell apart before leaving. Missouri seems down to me but really don’t follow them. And AM seems to be unchanged, to me. Not good or bad just no major news ever comes our way about them.

I was against West Virginia at first but after these few years, I’m a fan. Same for tcu. Both great contributions to the conference.

Said it before but I like to dream.
North Big 12
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa
Iowa St
Colorado
Colorado St
West Virginia
Arkansas

South Big 12
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Tcu
Baylor
Texas AM
Missouri

This would be a monster conference. With bung loads of rivalries.
I used to be all for the super conferences, not any more. I don't see the point if you don't play some teams for 4 years in a row. With 16 teams, if you play everyone in your division, you are likely only playing 2 from the other division, so at best it's 4 years to cycle through, and only once every 8 years do you get a team from the other division in your home stadium. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Sep 21, 2011
Actually, we do bag on Nebraska quite a bit. They were a true national power and have fallen farther than you. We've certainly discussed their situation more than aTm.

We care that A&M left because it clearly hurt the conference. You are a program that still has a smidge of national recognition and interest, and when combined with Nebraska leaving it hurt the reputation of the Big XII. Makes it harder for the conference to be represented in things like the BCS/CFP. And of course it was just another "win" for the hated SEC.

Additionally, I think most of us recognize that if the XII falls apart we are in a tenuous position, without a national audience, media market, or massive fan base. But we've got a mullet and we used to be 40, so maybe someone will care for us?!? (Oh, and all those wins over the past decade, almost forgot about those...)
Hmmm... I would argue A&M's actions have been a net positive for the Big12.

By saying no to the PAC16 in 2010, the resulting delay allowed the Big12 to regroup and get UT to stay. Big12 doesn't implode.

The media partners agreed to maintain the same payout, which was then divided by 10 schools rather than 12. More money.

By leaving in 2011, the Big12 was forced to correct its unbalanced Tier 1 and 2 revenue distribution.
More money.

The GOR was established to ensure UT and OU wouldn't leave. More stability.

TCU and WV get added and replace the ho-hum Tigers and the weirdo cult milkmen Aggies that no one liked anyways. New blood.

It can be argued that none of those things would have happened if A&M had stayed in the Big12.

Yet its viewed as some sort of betrayal. In fact, it was such an affront that our chief rival acted like a wife who'd been cheated on. But time heals all wounds and now they're clamoring to play us again.

As for being harder to be represented in the CFP, I think a larger sample size is needed before that claim can be made.

Apr 7, 2006
Really? You don't enjoy beating the Longhorns more? Why would you even care about A&M enough to put us in such rarefied air?
That wasnt true. Actually I'd prefer beating 1. OU (obvious) 2. Baylor (cheaters/rape enablers) 3. Aggy (inflated view of themselves that is in no way justified).

UT is an Aggy fetish. I enjoy beating them but it doesn't do that much for me.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I used to be all for the super conferences, not any more. I don't see the point if you don't play some teams for 4 years in a row. With 16 teams, if you play everyone in your division, you are likely only playing 2 from the other division, so at best it's 4 years to cycle through, and only once every 8 years do you get a team from the other division in your home stadium. Seems kind of pointless to me.
So put you down for a “no” for the Super Duper Double Secret Conference?

It’s 6 one way and half dozen the other way. But wouldn’t it be cool to chant “SDDSC!”?

Sep 21, 2011
Johnnie spent a whole night in a hotel with a sports memorabilia dealer then tried to sell us on the story that he was just giving autographs away. It's insulting and silly. You don't have to disown him but, at least don't expect us to buy the BS.
Why do you think Aggies expected anyone to believe he wasn't selling autographs? Of course he was. Nobody believed that story, Aggies or otherwise.

As far as weird, I've been to a game in college station. The fans were great, but those milkmen cheer leaders doing 1925 cheers is weird, and a collie graveyard with a light up scoreboard is weird. Just own it man, you guys are unique to say the least.
Unique, without a doubt. That's one of the great things about it. It isn't the same thing you see everywhere else. Go to a game in Norman. Is it a nice enough venue? Sure. Is it much different than any other gameday experience anywhere else? Not particularly. Go to Austin. Anything particularly impressive (other than how quiet that place is given its capacity)? Nope. That's what we Aggies find so perplexing. Rather than appreciating the fact that it's a unique experience, it gets shrugged off as "weird"

Sep 21, 2011
Secretly, the Aggies and Huskers want back in the Big 12. I'd be cool with it + trade WVU for Arky. #MakeTheBig1212again
Nebraska might, but Aggies don't. Aggies are pretty split on whether or not to ever play Texas again, but being in a conference with them is a no-go. I don't think any of us would want to trade trips to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, and Auburn for trips to Lubbock, Waco, and Austin.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Nebraska might, but Aggies don't. Aggies are pretty split on whether or not to ever play Texas again, but being in a conference with them is a no-go. I don't think any of us would want to trade trips to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, and Auburn for trips to Lubbock, Waco, and Austin.
That right there is a damn good point.

Apr 7, 2006
Why do you think Aggies expected anyone to believe he wasn't selling autographs? Of course he was. Nobody believed that story, Aggies or otherwise.

Unique, without a doubt. That's one of the great things about it. It isn't the same thing you see everywhere else. Go to a game in Norman. Is it a nice enough venue? Sure. Is it much different than any other gameday experience anywhere else? Not particularly. Go to Austin. Anything particularly impressive (other than how quiet that place is given its capacity)? Nope. That's what we Aggies find so perplexing. Rather than appreciating the fact that it's a unique experience, it gets shrugged off as "weird"
When you polish your bishop into jars in the name of tradition, it's weird mmkay?

Apr 7, 2006

When you polish your bishop into jars in the name of tradition, it's weird alright?

Aug 16, 2019
Edmond, Oklahoma
A lot of Missouri fans last year at the Liberty Bowl told me they wished they were still in the Big XII conference. The reason they left with A&M was because of the idiot moron that was their Governor at the time who felt that Missouri was too good to be in a conference with Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. He wanted to go to the Big 10 but they took Nebraska thus the move to the SEC.

Sep 21, 2011
A lot of Missouri fans last year at the Liberty Bowl told me they wished they were still in the Big XII conference. The reason they left with A&M was because of the idiot moron that was their Governor at the time who felt that Missouri was too good to be in a conference with Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. He wanted to go to the Big 10 but they took Nebraska thus the move to the SEC.
Interesting. I can see that. Mizzou has always felt like a placeholder. Hopefully that'll change in time.

They really poisoned the well in the Big12 with the way they lifted their skirts to the B1G, so a return would be pretty humiliating. The SEC has no exit fees though, so they are free to go iffin' they want.

FWIW, A&M never felt like it was too good to be associated with the Big12 schools. We just felt the conference had a high likelihood of collapse and we didn't want to be behind the 8 ball when it happened.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I've been to Baton Rouge and will not go back. I also don't think it's about destinations.

I have lived and worked in BCS for a number of years and have talked to a lot of Aggie fans. My conclusion is it boiled down to A&M continuing to be "second fiddle" to UT, no matter how big they got or what they did. They were tired of UT dictating conference and other terms in the B12 just like they did in the old SWC. A&M is a Morrill Act land grant school, just like OSU; however, they have acquired a law school and medical school (needed to get a higher ranking) and raised entrance requirements. All that and they now have the largest student population of Texas colleges - but they could not shake the "second fiddle" perception. Changing conferences was another step toward getting completely out from under the UT shadow.

Another factor for older alums goes back to the late 60's/early 70's when A&M, as an all-male military oriented school was not very popular and attendance was very low (6-7,000 students). The state threatened the ultimate insult: folding A&M in to the UT system if they did not get attendance up. They eventually recovered and have been hell-bent to outshine them since. I don't think they ever got over that. Can you imagine the University of Texas at College Station?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Interesting. I can see that. Mizzou has always felt like a placeholder. Hopefully that'll change in time.

They really poisoned the well in the Big12 with the way they lifted their skirts to the B1G, so a return would be pretty humiliating. The SEC has no exit fees though, so they are free to go iffin' they want.

FWIW, A&M never felt like it was too good to be associated with the Big12 schools. We just felt the conference had a high likelihood of collapse and we didn't want to be behind the 8 ball when it happened.
Missouri and Arkansas would both be better fits within the Big 12 than in the SEC IMHO. No doubt that they are hillbillies though so maybe they fit in the SEC better. ;-)