1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

I didn't see this coming..........(Fan support)

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by orange74, Jul 31, 2012.

1. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

[​IMG]
  2. SGT Steck

A/V Subscriber SGT Steck Whitetail Slayer

I have noticed in the Edmond area I see a lot more orange and OSU paraphernalia then I used to. I have been at Cocoa Beach FL the last week sporting my orange and we have been getting lots of national love. Even the SEC fans showing some respect.
  3. kel e.

kel e. Cowboy

The prevalence of Okstate attire available in stores has definitely increased since I started paying attention in 2004 (freshman year). Before stores carries OSU stuff out of courtesy for the few people that would ask for it if they didn't.

However, there has been a dramatic change, it seems. We now seem to get at least equal shelf space as OU in OKC and I've often seen us get more space in Tulsa.

As to non-alumni now being fans, I'm not honestly excited about it. If someone wants to be proud of the sooners I immediately ask them if they are alumni and if so I grant them full credit and don't criticize their fandom. If not I kindly shift the argument elsewhere. I try to do this fairly for Okstate fans as well.
  4. GoSTATE

GoSTATE Cowboy

While I'm not alumni of OSU, I am a college graduate (from NSU in Tahlequah). I have been a fan since 2001, before our football program got better with Miles, and starting attending games here and there with my uncle in 2002. My middle school teachers had influenced me into OSU since they're OSU alums. I have been season ticket holder since 2006-07 season and I'm just 23... I convinced my best friend who was an 'borderline' OU fan at the time into going to OSU who recently graduated and is OSU fan through and through. I love the fact that OSU is mostly about the alums and all (even though I'm not one) and I was worried that OSU would be getting a lot of "bandwagoners" or people who only knows about football but nothing else about other sports or even the university just like OU. If our football program keeps getting better, it will happen more and more every year. Sad but true...already seeing it happening.
  5. Old Indian 75

Old Indian 75 Cowboy

I attended & graduated from an "out of state" university many, many years ago. I am, however, a long-time Cowboy fan & season ticker holder. I sincerely apologize to all OSU alum for not measuring up as a full-blooded fan. I will certainly continue to support the Cowboys with my attendance at both football and basketball games, but at the same time make a special effort not to diminish the alumni's enjoyment of the games.
    ksupoke likes this.
  6. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

I've noticed a LOT more homeless people in Tulsa wearing OSU stuff. I'm not sure if it's because they're fans or because it was free. :confused:
  7. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

Oh, not you won't. Get the hell out of here...NOW!!!

Kidding. :) Kidding. Glad to have you on board. I think we should welcome any and all Cowboy transplant fans with open arms. We've certainly envied the Sooners in private for it for long enough. Might as well revel in it now that we're finally getting some "undecided" votes!
  8. orangebullet

orangebullet Deputy

People who were my father's generation (post WWII) took a job at a university and became loyal to that university that paid their salary. They were grateful for it. They put away their Purdue sweatshirts or their Iowa State gear and joined the rest wearing orange & black. My father didn't get his last degree at OSU but he wore orange & black very proudly for 40 years. As did many of his colleagues.

Now, I see professors at OSU with stickers on their car from other universities, and some even have a problem finding an orange shirt to wear to a game (if they come at all---very bourgeois, you know). Most will not stay their whole career at a single university and it is a different generation, for sure. I sometimes miss the unabashed enthusiasm that those people showed for OAMC/OSU as teachers and leaders and sports fans.
  9. Functianalyst

Functianalyst Wrangler

I would definitely have to differ on B.A. I rarely ever see OSU colors being worn.
  10. Functianalyst

Functianalyst Wrangler

Interestingly and not so odd is, there are OSU alum who root for OU.
  11. Poke4Real

Poke4Real Cowboy

I was born and raised in Tulsa. Most TU fans I knew growing up cheered for OU as well and hated OSU. Never understood it. Oh well. Screw 'em.
  12. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Cowboy

I have had a few issues with TU fans surprisingly and all were unprovoked but they do hate us. I think they are pissed because we won't play them or consider them relevant as a rival.
  13. Old Poke

Old Poke Cowboy

One of the speakers last night at the Tulsa Caravan confirmed record sales of OSU themed garments.

Oh, and most TU fans do favor OU over OSU based on my limited attendance at TU. That was again driven home while watching the OU game on TV at the Campus Grill near the TU stadium during the rain delay of the OSU/TU game last fall.
  14. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

4 Fiesta Bowl shirts
    1 Fiesta Bowl hat
    4 Big 12 Champs t-shirts
    1 Big 12 Champs hoodie
    6 Big 12 Champs hats
    2 Bedlam Champs t-shirts
    Old Poke likes this.
  15. NewMexPoke84

A/V Subscriber NewMexPoke84 Ou still sucks

okc has pretty much turned to the thunder. College football will be back in a few weeks but after jan back to thunder mania.
  16. EmptySeat

EmptySeat Cowboy

It's something they cling hard to. They want the old days where they got a perpetual home & home with us. They always considered it to be their game of the year. Even when they were good (basically winning all their home games with us) and we were bad, I didn't care about playing Tulsa, and I think many OSU fans felt the same way.

Many think we quit because of Keith Burns and his moronic remarks, and don't understand that giving them a home game every other season is a huge financial burden. OU wouldn't do it, but they argue that OU is a traditional power and we aren't the same. But the problem with that is, Kansas or Arkansas or KSU or Iowa State or Baylor - any number of schools without OU's pedigree - would never give them the setup they want from OSU. They simply won't get a single home & home from a Big 12 team, us or anyone else, much less the open ended series they want.

It's kind of that hate people have for someone who is apathetic to them. That game matters to them, and not to us. We can get 2-1 games all day long from any number of schools. Tulsa apparently will play OU 2-1, and grovel for the privilege, but considers the same set up from OSU to be insulting. It's illogical, but there it is.

And yes, a lot of them are OU fans.
  17. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

My dad is one of them. But he also went to OU and ran track for them. So it kinda makes sense.
  18. PC_cowboy33

A/V Subscriber PC_cowboy33 Orange ruler guy

I just don't want our T-shirt fans to represent us the way OU's T-shirt fans represent them. You can be a fan, and support who you want...but don't put down another university unless you're an alum - just doesn't make any sense to me.
  19. EmptySeat

EmptySeat Cowboy

Academic smack is stupid in the first place, but even stupider when you didn't attend the school you're trying to tout as better. I have seen that from many OU fans.
    PlatypusJojo likes this.
  20. 65POKE

65POKE Wrangler

I can't understand pompous and hypocritical people, and I think I speak for the majority of OSU fans who welcome you and others like you as fans. You seem to let the others comments go off your back, and that is good. It also seems to me that alums who act snobbish, are making themselves in a similar vein as an ou fan that we have hated all these years. You are probably a better fan, it sounds like to me, than a majority of our alum fans. Keep bleeding Orange brother.