1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Johny Hendricks to Fight Koscheck

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by OSUCowboy787, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Redhawk

Redhawk Founding member of the Ben Grogan Fan Club A/V Subscriber

Hendricks takes care of business he will get his shot. His KO of Fitch put him on a path to a title shot IMO.

2. Blue_Cowboy

Blue_Cowboy Cowboy

True, but Johny said he'd rather not fight someone else before getting his shot, as "something bad always happens" or something to that effect when people have one more fight before their shot. But he also said that he wouldn't bite the hand that feeds him and if Dana says he needs another fight, he'll fight.
    It sucks, but I'll be cheering him on in his next fight, hoping he gets a shot after that.

3. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

CoreyfreakinlovesOSU Once beat Tyreek Hill in a foot race. A/V Subscriber

Unfortunate..eh, maybe so.. but I don't think Johny's resume screams title shot..yet. The Fitch win was HUGE, but one, he came off a long layoff, and two, the next best guy he's beat is Mike Pierce (Who is very underrated btw). I think a win against Koscheck, a very talented 2x title challenger, will earn him his shot.. but I think he'll be in line behind Ellenberger still (assuming he beats Sanchez) .

And besides, who doesn't want to see Kos get KTFO?

O-statecowboy and tuttlecwby59 like this.
  4. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Sheriff

I'm not sold on Ellenberger. He beat an emotionally distraught Jake Shields and Diego is WAY past his prime IMO. Johny KO'd Fitch and beat Pierce, Brenneman, and Sadollah. I'm obviously biased though cause Johny is a Poke...

I'm more unhappy that we aren't going to get to see another welterweight title shot until the end of the year IF, and thats a big if, GSP is healthy again. What if his healing has a setback are we just going to wait forever for GSP? Title should never sit idle for that long. If you wear the belt you should be fighting every 6 months at minimum and if you get hurt then you should expect there to be an interim title fight for it. Also, watching a title fight where both guys haven't fought in over 8 months typically means a sloppy fight.

5. JoeHero

JoeHero King of the Andals and the First Men A/V Subscriber

They're kind of acting like they'll hold out Condit until GSP which makes zero sense. If you're gonna hold him out why have an interim belt in the first place? Just make Condit/Diaz the #1 contender match. Stupid stupid stupid, now not only is the real belt on hiatus for over a year, the fake belt will be for nine months as well.

As far as giving Hendricks the Koscheck fight I'm not surprised. I think he's behind Ellenberger on the waiting list . Putting him on Fox is a big deal cause he'll get a primetime network audience. I think he beats Kos too, I hope he puts his lights out. If they're holding Condit out I think they may book an Ellenberger/Hendricks #1 contender fight in the meantime while the belt is being held up.

6. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

I agree, whoever holds that strap needs to be defending it. I'm sold on Ellenberger, though his resume isn't really any better, his only loss in the UFC is a very controversial one to the current champ, Carlos Condit. But I think since he's fighting first, he'll have "dibs". I'm a huge Hendricks fan..I'm pretty sure I've told my story about meeting him a thousand times at least, and I'd love to see him get the first shot at Condit. And, if he doesn't take a lot of damage he very well could. I expect Ellenberger/Sanchez to get bloody .. so who knows.

7. JoeHero

JoeHero King of the Andals and the First Men A/V Subscriber

Oh yeah. I can't stand that about the UFC. JDS is gonna defend his belt for the first time in late May. Anderson Silva isn't fighting again until June. That's ten months. I don't get why the champs get such long layoffs. It's freaking maddening.

NitroOrange likes this.
  8. tuttlecwby59

tuttlecwby59 Cowboy

I do!!!! I cant stand him!

MSteph57 and O-statecowboy like this.
  9. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

Personally, I can't wait to see Kos get the bejesus beat outta him. Can't stand the guy - and - I think a win over him sets Johny up good and well for a legit argument for a title shot.

10. Boomer.....

Boomer..... Sheriff

Johny just doesn't have a good enough resume yet. A win against Kos will do wonders though.

11. OkieParrot2

OkieParrot2 Greenhorn

Welterweight contenders Josh Koscheck and Johny Hendrickswill meet on Fox television, UFC president Dana White announced Sunday.
    "Koscheck vs. Johny Hendricks is on for Fox," White said on Twitter.
    White did not specify a date for the fight, but UFC's next event on Fox is slated for May 5 in East Rutherford, N.J.

Currently a lightweight showdown between Jim Miller and Nate Diazis the highest-profile fight on that card. It will likely be supplanted by Koscheck-Hendricks as the main event.

Hendricks (12-1) put himself in the 170-pound title discussion on Dec. 30 when he knocked out perennial contender John Fitch at UFC 141. He has won three fights in a row.

Koscheck has won two straight fights since suffering a lopsided unanimous decision loss to champion Georges St. Pierreat UFC 124 on Dec. 11, 2010.
    During that loss, Koscheck suffered a broken orbital bone and was sidelined for nine months.

But when he returned to action this past September, Koscheck immediately reclaimed his status as a top welterweight contender by knocking out former titleholder Matt Hughesin the first round.

In his most recent outing, Kocheck (17-5) struggled to earn a split decision over Mike Pierceat UFC 143.

Koscheck and Hendricks are among the top contenders at 170 pounds. Neither, however, will get a shot an interim champion Carlos Condit.

"Condit will wait for GSP, now that (Nick) Diazis out," White told ESPN.com.

Condit claimed the interim belt Feb. 4 with a disputed unanimous decision over Nick Diaz. The winner of that fight was guaranteed a unification bout against St. Pierre.

But with St. Pierre not expected to return until November, at the earliest, there was talk of a Condit-Diaz rematch. Nick Diaz, however, tested positive for marijuana after the bout, eliminating the possibility of a rematch this year.

Franklin McNeil covers mixed martial arts and boxing for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Franklin_McNeil.

tuttlecwby59 and skirtguy like this.
  12. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Sheriff

13. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Cowboy

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but according to twitter this is the first time 2 D1 national champion wrestlers have met in a UFC fight.

OSUndefeated and Blue_Cowboy like this.
  14. Epperley28

Epperley28 Federal Marshal A/V Subscriber

Looks like the winner of Hendricks-Koscheck is going to face Ellenberger. Some prize.

15. MSteph57

MSteph57 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

The dude with the fro...just stay down!!! Geez.

16. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Federal Marshal

This is going to be a great fight. May is so far away, can't get here fast enough.

17. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Cowboy

18. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Cowboy

I'm really pumped for this, but the timing is really terrible. Same time as the Thunder game and Bedlam baseball.

19. Kenny Orange Powers

Kenny Orange Powers Deputy

I'm getting nervous/excited already. I can't stand Kos and Hendicks is one of my favorite fighters. I still don't think he lost that unanimous to rick story either which is the 1 loss on his record. He could or should be undefeated going into this fight.

20. CoreyfreakinlovesOSU

Johny is my favorite fighter, but he def lost the story fight. Came out flat, never opened up and even got outwrestled. But I think it was good for him.