1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

K-State Fans Take "Stars Don't Matter" To New Heights!

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by SouthTulsaPoke, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Deputy

Like all the fanbases in the FBS, the Wildcats are looking at their recruiting class and assessing it. And like all fanbases, the Koolaid drinkers are sipping their purple concoctions and declaring their recruiting class a winner!!!

But to us, the objective observers, you have to wonder what's in that KoolAid?

The fans are serving up the usual platitudes. "I love this class," "we're filling most of our needs," "we got a bunch of under the radar guys." We've heard it on all the recruiting sites, regardless of the program. But take a look at who they've signed.

http://washington.scout.com/a.z?s=147&p=9&c=8&toinid=663&yr=2012

They got Ron Gronkowski's kid brother! Problem is, he's an unrated FB that no one but K-State showed an interest in. They have a total of 9 players that have signed LOIs that are unrated by Scout. They have no recruits with 4 or 5 stars. They have only five 3-star recruits! Everyone else is a 2-star.

Their class is rated the #85 class in the FBS and have a 1.81 star average.

And yet, there are the Wildcat fans, enthused about the potential of their latest group of recruits.

Maybe our recruiting class isn't so bad after all!

Ya think?:woot:

2. NotOnTV

NotOnTV Sheriff

The ranking of their class is astoundingly low. Did the Cotton Bowl loss blow the class for them? Think Snyder can coach this bunch to the top 15? They came within a hair of playing in a BCS bowl and probably should have gone.

The ACC getting two teams in a BCS game is beyond absurd. But I digress.

3. OSU_CC

OSU_CC Territorial Marshal

Well they did almost beat us..

I think Snyder gets the kids he likes and doesn't even try to go for high profile guys.
    They won't put to many guys in the NFL but they will probably win about as many football games next year as FSU will! ;)

OSU Sig and GoPokeU like this.
  4. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com A/V Subscriber

Yeah....because Bill Snyder isn't known for taking unknown recruits to Big 12 championship heights.....

5. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Deputy

Yeah, but this class is absurd! It's like they did NO recruiting whatsoever, other than going to various towns around the country and cruising the shopping malls looking for big teens that they would stop and say, Hey...you're a big fella. Ever play any football?":blink:

6. OSUMIKE17

All Bill Snyder did with those types of kids was win 10 games this last season.

OSU Sig likes this.
  7. PlatypusJojo

PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon A/V Subscriber

Dude. It's Bill F****** Snyder.

He had a string of four consecutive 11 win teams with these types of players.

GoPokeU likes this.
  8. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Deputy

9. OSUMIKE17

You're missing the entire point.

He's using Ron Prince's players that Ron Prince had zero success with.

He is also recruiting players that he wants despite what their star count (fap fap fap) is.

And he has done this for decades and been very good at it. He turned K-State, the very worst college football program (literally) into a Big 12 championship school with these recruits.

He is the reason why stars are meaningless if you have the right coaches, players, and attitudes.

10. ORANGEHEMOGLOBINEMIA

ORANGEHEMOGLOBINEMIA Cowboy

You can tell who has been around and who hasn't by these blogs. The younger guys just don't know what Bill can do up there with average or undiscovered talent. I worry about next years game up there in Manhattan. The mentor of the Stoops and other coaches still has it. The stadium is not named after him for nothing. The Silver Fox totally out coached Les Miles and our team one year with clock management and using the weather (wind) to his advantage.

jdennis095 and GoPokeU like this.
  11. Anaranjado

Anaranjado Chicken parm you taste so good A/V Subscriber

does snyder even know how to use the internet to look at rivals/scout/twitter???

GoPokeU and PokealypseNow like this.
  12. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Deputy

I'm in my fifties. I've been around Snyder. I know he brought the program up in the 90's by poaching a lot of the Oklahoma kids that were looking for other programs to play for while OSU and OU were both on probation and the after effects of those probations. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but this particular class is horrible by any standards. If he wins with it, in 4 years, my hat will be off to him. But it's a horrible, horrible class.

13. ORANGEHEMOGLOBINEMIA

ORANGEHEMOGLOBINEMIA Cowboy

I'll take your word for it as far as it being a bad class but you know what he will do if it is lacking? He will go junior college. He literally made a living doing that especially with defensive linemen. How he got all those really good defensive linemen, for so many years in a row, I do not know.

14. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Deputy

I think that all of those unrated (NR) guys (Moore, Burns, Barnett, Davis, Gronkowski, etc,) also appear as 2011 recruits with 2-3 stars in that year. I imagine that they failed to qualify academically and are "grayshirts." Additionally, players that do not qualify academically often have lower star rankings than their talent justifies, as schools are scared off by that. Snyder has history of getting these guys and turning them into good college football players.

15. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Deputy

Also, I wouldn't be too quick to judge the Gronkowski kid. He has four older brothers who were all D-1 athletes (1 baseball, 3 football), and three of them currently play in the NFL. He's certainly not as gifted as Rob, but he looks similar to Chris, who plays FB for the Colts.

16. Pistolp

Pistolp Deputy

Don't be too quick to judge - Snyder is an excellent judge of football talent. He also finds kids in unique situations rather than the standard HS graduating seniors - and those kids are usually unranked or under ranked.

Gundy and staff have shown some of this talent as well - Blackmon and Weeden, two of the most talented men to play at OSU, had a total of 2 stars between them when they were recruited.

17. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

TL;DR? Doesn't matter; Bill Snyder.

PlatypusJojo and orangepowered like this.
  18. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Federal Marshal

As long as Snyder is coaching at Kansas State, I won't make fun of their recruiting classes. He is the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poohness and Anaranjado like this.
  19. cowboys_r_us

cowboys_r_us Deputy

Kansas State routinely grabs a couple Oklahoma kids that neither OSU or OU offer and they end up being impact players.

They are used to doing more with less.

20. OKCFan

OKCFan Deputy

exactly. i don't know how we didn't offer tyler lockett. his dad and uncle were awesome at kstate.