Liberty Bowl Stuff

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 5, 2007
Benton, Arkansas
Website links with info on Liberty Bowl parade info and New Years Eve on Beale Street in Memphis.

http://www.bealestreet.com/new-years-eve-on-beale

https://www.downtownmemphis.com/new-years-eve-downtown-memphis-2018/

Best places to eat if you are looking for Memphis classics:

Gus's Fried Chicken
Rendevous BBQ downtown
Central BBQ on Central is within a few miles of the stadium (1.2 Miles)

Breweries:

Wiseacre
High Cotton
Ghost River
Memphis Made
Meddlesome

Old Dominick Distillery is great and directly across the street from a Gus's Fried Chicken

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

Gus's Fried Chicken
Rendevous BBQ downtown

Breweries:

Wiseacre
High Cotton
Ghost River
Memphis Made
Meddlesome

Old Dominick Distillery is great and directly across the street from a Gus's Fried Chicken
I'm going to piggyback on your comment.

Pearl's Oyster House
South of Beale (great southern gourmet food)
Aldo's Pizza
Bardog (fun bar with surprisingly good Italian food)
The BBQ Shop
The Commissary (BBQ place, but this requires traveling to the east side of the city, really really good)
Cafe Pontotoc (great place for mixed drinks)
The Green Beetle (supposedly Memphis's oldest bar, I beg to differ)
Ernestine and Hazel's (old brothel turned bar that is supposedly haunted)

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I also live right by a place called Loflin Yard. They have a bar in the back that has a large projector screen. They do events at the back bar. I was thinking that could be a place where a lot of Pokes could get together.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
All booked for Memphis, and other than having to play an old Big 8/12 team I'm excited for the game.

Thanks to @BPH_4LIFE and @TwinBlast for all the great recs. I am no Memphis expert, so it's great to hear their input. I have spent a lot of time and money traveling to eat BBQ and used to stop there all the time when I lived in East TN. I would also toss out some other great BBQ spots:

Payne's (One of the best sandwiches I have ever had - great pork)
Cozy Corner (Great ribs and the smoked cornish game hens are terrific)
Rendezvous (The others already mentioned this one, and yes the ribs are that good)
Central BBQ (Seems that locals really love this place - ribs were fantastic)
A&R (Ribs and rib tips are great - not my favorite but some people rave about them)
Germantown Commissary (As others mentioned it is very good but not in the city)

Never done the BBQ Shop, but have heard some people like it. Maybe the locals on here could comment.

But, if you want some really fantastic bbq, try to hit Jones BBQ just off of I-40 in Marianna, AR. Seriously some of the best bbq in the country, and perhaps the best example of whole hog bbq outside of the Carolinas. Anyway, it is near the AR/TN state just a little south of I-40, so you could definitely hit it on the drive to/from Oklahoma.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
@TwinBlast and @BPH_4LIFE what are your favorite live music spots? Thinking of something for Dec. 30, but since it's Sunday I realize that might not be easy.

I would definitely be interested in an OSU meetup if something is getting out together. I'm sure the alumni association will have some plans as well but would love to see the locals take.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

Gus's Fried Chicken
Rendevous BBQ downtown

Breweries:

Wiseacre
High Cotton
Ghost River
Memphis Made
Meddlesome

One more thing, there's a newer brewery called Crosstown Brewing Co. Their IPA is really, really good. Again, though, this might be too much for someone to drive to. Maybe 5-6 miles from Downtown.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
@TwinBlast and @BPH_4LIFE what are your favorite live music spots? Thinking of something for Dec. 30, but since it's Sunday I realize that might not be easy.

I would definitely be interested in an OSU meetup if something is getting out together. I'm sure the alumni association will have some plans as well but would love to see the locals take.
There's a place called Lafayette's Music Room. You can try that. Though, that is in Midtown, and would require a small bit of driving, or taking an Uber. There are also several places on Beale, of course, like BB King's.

May 8, 2009
Germantown, TN
There's a place called Lafayette's Music Room. You can try that. Though, that is in Midtown, and would require a small bit of driving, or taking an Uber. There are also several places on Beale, of course, like BB King's.
Lafayette's is worth the trip. Also, not too far from the BBQ shop.

Word of warning though, all the drinking venues will be jam packed for New Years eve....

JB1984

Wrangler
Feb 23, 2011
anyone have any suggestions on where to stay? trying to find a hotel now. also, anyone know where the team is staying?