Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Can we end this idiocy or do we have to keep chanting the “winningest coach in school history “ chant to try and rationalize why we didn’t get rid of this clown?

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
Don’t say that too loud you might hurt his feelings and then he could flirt with Tennessee again and Holder would give him a pay bump and extension.

Sanders 9 turnovers in 2 games is our future? Our future looks bleak.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
I've seen about enough. We have declined pretty consistently for years. The biggest reason I can see (as well as many others) is that our coaches can't recruit well. I believe our last top 25 class was when deforest was cheating for us in like....2009?

Let's be honest....Baylor got good the first time from cheating. But this time? It's from Rhule being a great coach.

We need better leaders for this program. We are paying more money for our coach than OU was for the majority of their run the past 2 decades. Let's fix this OSU.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
And to follow up on this. I've held my tongue for years. When people were screaming the sky was falling after getting routed by Ole Miss in the bowl game 2015 I agreed but wanted to see how we followed up with a new full recruiting class.

The truth is we have regressed to lower to middle of the pack in a conf that is not very strong other than OU

Oct 30, 2007
Mike Gundy's contract:
Length: 5 years with an automatic rollover.
Salary: $5.125 million with an automatic $125K annual raise.
Buyout: $22.375 million plus the remainder of his annual salary. (This figure goes up every year.)

I'm not calling for Coach Gundy's head, but we're going to be in a terrible spot if the program continues to decline. His contract could end up being worse than Coach Ford's. We had better hope that he gets things figured out soon or things could get ugly.

I still believe in Coach Gundy. The changes I want to see are with his coaching staff. He needs to fire any coach on his staff that can't consistently win recruiting battles against non-blue blood programs. He needs to hire young & hungry coaches that are looking to move up in the ranks. He needs to value coaching quality over coaching staff continuity. Something has to change moving forward because what we're doing now isn't working.

Last edited:

VENTRINO

You've got 5 seconds.. and 3 are up.
Sep 10, 2008
The Dojo
My biggest concern is the direction the offense is moving. I realize that it may be modified due to an inexperienced starter, but it’s really hard to be successful when you’re as predictable as we are. I assume we’re seeing Gundy’s offense, which is disappointing. If you’re gonna rave about the new OC’s creativity, let him be creative.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
Mike Gundy's contract:
Length: 5 years with an automatic rollover.
Salary: $5.125 million with an automatic $125K annual raise.
Buyout: $22.375 million plus the remainder of his annual salary. (This figure goes up every year.)

I'm not calling for Coach Gundy's head, but we're going to be in a terrible spot if the program continues to decline. His contract could end up being worse than Coach Ford's. We had better hope that he gets things figured out soon or things could get ugly.

I still believe in Coach Gundy. The changes I want to see are with his coaching staff. He needs to fire any coach on his staff that can't consistently win recruiting battles against non-blue blood programs. He needs to hire young & hungry coaches that are looking to move up in the ranks. He needs to value coaching quality over coaching staff continuity. Something has to change moving forward because what we're doing now isn't working.
Agreed 100% with your point.

I thought he bucked that trend with Gleeson. But I'm not seeing this amazing creative play calling. It's looking more like another MY.

There are a lot of Gundy apologists on this board (I was one for a long time) that will be quick to show me some wins/losses or historical programs facts and say....SEE!! it could be soo worse?

Bring it on.. Please.. I promise I have a very reasonable retort.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
My biggest concern is the direction the offense is moving. I realize that it may be modified due to an inexperienced starter, but it’s really hard to be successful when you’re as predictable as we are. I assume we’re seeing Gundy’s offense, which is disappointing. If you’re gonna rave about the new OC’s creativity, let him be creative.
That is a great point. But when are we going to get fed up enough to say something about defense....we got embarrassed on crossing routes tonight. Pick the game. We get embarrassed on D weekly. Scheme is one part. Jimmies and Joes are the other.

Jan 14, 2006
Agreed 100% with your point.

I thought he bucked that trend with Gleeson. But I'm not seeing this amazing creative play calling. It's looking more like another MY.

There are a lot of Gundy apologists on this board (I was one for a long time) that will be quick to show me some wins/losses or historical programs facts and say....SEE!! it could be soo worse?

Bring it on.. Please.. I promise I have a very reasonable retort.
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy. Our recruiting budget+location+program status are a lot to overcome and I think we have reached our plateau. We are an 8-9 win a year program with some 10/11s and 6/7s mixed in.

I think you, like many of us, overestimate the appeal of OSU and Stillwater to national recruits.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of making a change for the sake of making a change. So I'll ask, who do you have in mind that would, do a better job than Gundy, want to come to OSU, and be affordable?

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
I'll bite.

First, I'm not happy with the last two seasons either. That being said, I don't think we can do better than Gundy. I don't believe anyone else will be able to consistently recruit to OSU at a higher level than Gundy. Our recruiting budget+location+program status are a lot to overcome and I think we have reached our plateau. We are an 8-9 win a year program with some 10/11s and 6/7s mixed in.

I think you, like many of us, overestimate the appeal of OSU and Stillwater to national recruits.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of making a change for the sake of making a change. So I'll ask, who do you have in mind that would, do a better job than Gundy, want to come to OSU, and be affordable?
Your logic says that we couldn’t have hired Matt Rhule 3 years ago from Temple? Gundy’s narcissistic behavior is hurting our university. The rant was fun for a year. The mullet was fun for a year. It’s past time to mature, he never will. He has become a caricature. Why go for knowles when a positions coach from Clemson or Alabama might want to step up to a DC position. Gundy wants to be the smartest guy on the staff. It’s time that Gleason shows the fans who the smartest coach on the staff truly is. But Holder, Hargis and the Regents have to be aware that there are other Matt Rhules out there today...

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
Holder’s hands are tied. The buyout is too large and other than making a few comments in the media (like the recruiting comments he made) he can’t do anything. Gundy is the only one who can save us from himself. He has to pull his head out of his ass, find the fire again, give Gleason total offensive control, and send the whole defensive staff packing.

Nov 18, 2011
HCMG has little to no fire over the past few years and it shows through the team. I listened to his postgame radio interview and it was all about ah shucks, the effort was there, and we’re not going to yell at the kids blah blah. Also, for a guy who claims to not care about social media or what internet fans think, he always seems to spend half his postgame talking about it.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I've never understood this response. Most of us don't have a mental rolodex of potential coaches in our head. There are a lot of potential candidates who aren't household names. We would have to take a bit of a chance on the new hire.

It's true competing in Stillwater is hard. That's why we pay Gundy $5 million.

Nov 3, 2004
Holder’s hands are tied. The buyout is too large and other than making a few comments in the media (like the recruiting comments he made) he can’t do anything. Gundy is the only one who can save us from himself. He has to pull his head out of his ass, find the fire again, give Gleason total offensive control, and send the whole defensive staff packing.
He has an automatic extension with a raise each year, but I’m pretty sure that either party can notify the other that they are stopping the automatic extension. Maybe that is the wake up call?

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I've never understood this response. Most of us don't have a mental rolodex of potential coaches in our head. There are a lot of potential candidates who aren't household names. We would have to take a bit of a chance on the new hire.

It's true competing in Stillwater is hard. That's why we pay Gundy $5 million.
I think a lot of guys could do what Gundy is doing now so the risk isn’t that great. Todd Monken or a guy with a PJ Fleck type of resume would be a good choice.

Jan 31, 2012
I think we are established enough to where if we made a change we would still win 8 to 9 games. I think its very hard to recruit to Stillwater, but we should think about getting someone else in here and at least try.

VaPoke

Greenhorn
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
Why can't the AD force a coaching staff shake up?

Status
Not open for further replies.