1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Major world news - Osama Bin Laden Thread

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Chairman of the Board, May 1, 2011.

1. stonewallpoke

A/V Subscriber stonewallpoke Demon Brigade

Re: Major world news

Any President, left or right, would've taken partial credit for the kill. He did, after all, have to approve the operation. He's the commander and chief. And he GAVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT WAS DUE. The only thing ruining the great news is that some people don't want Obama to have any credit because they don't like him personally or politically.

This country is so jaded by the political process that even the news that the most evil man since Adolph Hitler was killed pretty much the way we had all hoped (shot in the head by US forces) can't be taken in stride without political criticism from the other side of the aisle. C'mon, man.
  2. stated

stated Cowboy

Should have hung a giant banner from the Whitehouse huh ?
    "MISSON ACCOMPLISHED"
  3. pokealum00

pokealum00 Cowboy

Oh no you dinnent!
  4. okstate0303

okstate0303 Cowboy

Hell Yes!!
  5. FightingtoWin

FightingtoWin Cowboy

I totally agree...thank you for your service and God Bless!
  6. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com

I think what he is saying is that no president, right or left, should have taken that much credit for it. Rather, give all the credit to the men who carried out the task.
  7. Orange_Blooded

A/V Subscriber Orange_Blooded Blamin' My Roots, Showin' Up In Boots

Guys... The most wanted man in the world is finally dead. Who cares wether the President took too much or gave too little credit. I like President Obama. I'm 16, most of ya'll will just discredit me; but I can tell you, that some of your petty arguments about this are childish and you're wasting time, when you should be happy and celebrating the comfort that has been brought to so many Americans and others around the world.
  8. stated

stated Cowboy

I'm pretty sure Presidents aren't trying to take credit when they use words like I and my:

"On my orders, coalition forces have begun striking selected targets of military importance to undermine Saddam Hussein's ability to wage war." -GWB

"Our war against terror is proceeding according to principles that I have made clear to all: Any person involved in committing or planning terrorist attacks against the American people becomes an enemy of this country, and a target of American justice."-GWB

This says everything:
    "We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day."-Obama

This is certain:

"The war on terror is not over; yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide. No act of the terrorists will change our purpose, or weaken our resolve, or alter their fate. Their cause is lost. Free nations will press on to victory." - GWB

"The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to." - Obama
  9. Socrates

Socrates Wrangler

10. stonewallpoke

A/V Subscriber stonewallpoke Demon Brigade

And he did. It's not like he stood up there and said "I killed him". But he DID do what he claimed he did.

There's the entire speech. Credit given to the troops, the SEALs who carried the operation out, and even to George W. Bush for also making it clear (along with himself) that this is not a war against Islam. Highlighted the "we" that people were missing so much in one paragraph, but it's like that in most of them. My guess is that most people who don't like the speech take issue with the fact that Pres. Obama said "Under my direction..." and "I determined...". So? He did those things. He deserves SOME of the credit. And he took it. He also gave some out. What's the big deal?

That's right: there's not a big deal. This reminds me of beating Nebraska in Lincoln a few years ago and people on here complaining that we let them outscore us in the 4th quarter. Or mudstomping some random team and people complaining that we should've run the ball more. Come on, we KILLED BIN LADEN!
  11. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

From today's WSJ:
    Yeah, I can live without Sirota's self-righteousness. There is good reason to be happy today.
  12. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

Equating elation about the deaths of innocent victims of terrorist attacks to elation about the death of the biggest terrorist mastermind.
    Yea, pretty good response.:rolleyes:

We have been bloodlusting killers for a long time. Why, look at these despicable Americans celebrating the deaths of Japanese and Germans.

[​IMG]
  13. Socrates

Socrates Wrangler

"Again, this isn’t in any way to equate Americans who cheer on bin Laden’s death with, say, those who cheered after 9/11. Bin Laden was a mass murderer who had punishment coming to him, while the 9/11 victims were innocent civilians whose deaths are an unspeakable tragedy. Likewise, this isn’t to say that we should feel nothing at bin Laden’s neutralization, or that the announcement last night isn't cause for any positive feeling at all -- it most certainly is."

I guess the above part was missed.
  14. trueorangeblood

A/V Subscriber trueorangeblood Cold ass honky

Saying Obama doesn't deserve credit because he didn't fire the shot is like saying Osama is not responsible for 9/11 because he didn't fly the planes.
  15. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

I didn't miss it. He's better than us and wants to dictate how happy we get over the death of the world's most-wanted terrorist. I get it. I just don't have much use for his self-righteousness. If you like it, then good for you.
  16. CowboyCookie

CowboyCookie Wrangler

No that would be Bush. If we are playing this scenario Obama would have been the person that provided room and board for the hijackers the night before.
  17. Darth Sensitive

A/V Subscriber Darth Sensitive Official OP Referee

Say what?
  18. CowboyCookie

CowboyCookie Wrangler

I tried to complete his analogy but it didn't go so well. It sounded better in my head and I just decided to leave it.
  19. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

Nope not missed. You can't write several paragraphs attempting to demonstrate that we are "vaguely mimicking" them then brush it all away with one weak caveat paragraph. We both know what the author meant.
  20. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

What exactly did Obama do other than say go ahead and take him out? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some credit, but what do you think he deserves credit for?