MLB Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Once you get to the 7th round of the draft, the business side starts to take precedence over the talent side. Clubs start to look how they can save to pay for the first 6 rounds or they look at what they saved in the first 6 so they can pass it down beyond the 10th.

True, but a talent like Osmond doesn't fall that far unless the MLB team thinks their chances of signing him are pretty low.

Looks like it's over, I think we're in great shape really. Hopefully we can get Osmond to campus, and who knows what will happen with Trenkel & Robertson.

Looks like Davis, Bowman, Cheney, Hollins, Mounce, Thompson, Woodson, and Marozas will all be on campus in the fall. Might be our best recruiting class since the group that included Hatch, Cobb, and Garrett Williams.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Might be our best recruiting class since the group that included Hatch, Cobb, and Garrett Williams.
And there were people that said we didn’t need a new stadium to recruit top talent... what a coincidence that once we showed a commitment and we got more talent to campus... wonder if that has worked for any other sport?

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
True, but a talent like Osmond doesn't fall that far unless the MLB team thinks their chances of signing him are pretty low.

Looks like it's over, I think we're in great shape really. Hopefully we can get Osmond to campus, and who knows what will happen with Trenkel & Robertson.

Looks like Davis, Bowman, Cheney, Hollins, Mounce, Thompson, Woodson, and Marozas will all be on campus in the fall. Might be our best recruiting class since the group that included Hatch, Cobb, and Garrett Williams.
It does if the money he was asking for doesn't match where they had him slotted to draft. It's worth them taking a flyer in the late rounds on a high school prospect like that in the off chance they can save enough money in the first 10 rounds to make him an offer to think about.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
It does if the money he was asking for doesn't match where they had him slotted to draft. It's worth them taking a flyer in the late rounds on a high school prospect like that in the off chance they can save enough money in the first 10 rounds to make him an offer to think about.

Yes, worth them taking a flyer, that’s pretty much the definition of what I was saying. If they draft him in the 35th round, that means they’re not confident he’ll sign. Never said he wouldn’t, but if they were confident he’d sign, he’d go a heck of a lot higher than 35th round.

All of what you’re explaining hinges on what other kids drafted earlier do or don’t do. No one knows that. So yes, worth taking a flyer on with a 35th round pick, but that doesn’t mean the MLB team is confident he’ll sign regardless. Quite the opposite in my opinion. If they were confident they could pull it off, someone else would have taken him quite a bit earlier.

Oct 10, 2015
Edmond oklahoma
I'm not surprised with Gragg or Battenfield

Graggs stuff reminds me of Walker Buehler and Battenfield has such great command and movement to go with 93-94.

Battenfield also has the size and a sense of confidence that you can't teach.

They both understand the concept of Effective Velocity which is what gets Professional hitters out.

I'm surprised McCusker hasn't gone yet

With his body and skills, the way he can hit the ball to all fields and his "clutch gene", I thought he'd be very attractive to the draft.

Boone and Cabbiness need to flatten their swings and have a much more positive attack angle to better stay inside the ball and hit more consistently.

Tank just never would buy into becoming anything other than a 1 trick Pony by swinging up and continuing to be a dead pull hitter.

I'm convinced that he has been given bad information from outside the program in terms of the type of hitter the pros wanted out of him.

I think he thought that he would be a more attractive hitter that way to the pros.

He's a great kid that, in my opinion, has been given very bad advice.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Oh, and maybe the biggest immediate impact recruit we just got? - Carson freaking McCusker. I would bet decent money he had to have told MLB teams that he was coming back for his senior year. Kudos to this coaching staff for creating an environment where this happens pretty often. When you consistently get leaders like Colin Simpson, Carson McCusker, Donnie Walton, Conor Costello, Trey Cobb, and Tyler Buffett back for their senior years it’s huge for a program. That speaks volumes about the atmosphere these coaches are creating, IMO.

Apr 7, 2006
Nice draft it seems for us. If we can have some success in Lubbock we can add even more momentum- would be a great time to do that with the new stadium and a good recruiting class on the way.

Jun 5, 2016
Dallas
Just curious (I don't know) with the draft over is it good or bad with kids on teams still playing? Do kids generally feel more relaxed and play better or do kids worry about injuries after being drafted (still negotiating contract) and they are not as productive.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Hard to believe Elliott went so late.also hard to believe he and Lyons are jumping to pro ball so quick.seems like 19th and 22nd round would not be that pleasing to them.