Monken to Georgia

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
DAMN IT!! He was available and willing to come back to the college game and we dropped the ball. I'm not sure if Gundy even tried, but now the announcement of Dunn becoming the OC makes more sense if Monken was also being considered by UGA with it's SEC top talent.

Man, I sure wanted to see Monken back in the world's best orange.

Oct 30, 2007
Well this is a massive disappointment. I just assumed the reason we didn't hire Monken as our OC was because he wanted to draw a check from Cleveland or stay in the NFL.

I like Coach Dunn, but it feels like a big mistake not to hire Monken. Georgia has an OC, so Monken won't be calling plays even if they give him a co-OC title. You have to think that he would've come here as our OC if we would've gone after him.

Edit: It sounds like the Monken will take over playcalling duties at Georgia. Maybe we just got outbid by $EC money.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2009
Boy, our former OCs get around. Holegram to W. Va. and Houston, another to Ohio St. and Texas U, and now this.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Well this is a massive disappointment. I just assumed the reason we didn't hire Monken as our OC was because he wanted to draw a check from Cleveland or stay in the NFL.

I like Coach Dunn, but it feels like a big mistake not to hire Monken. Georgia has an OC, so Monken won't be calling plays even if they give him a co-OC title. You have to think that he would've come here as our OC if we would've gone after him.

Edit: It sounds like the Monken will take over playcalling duties at Georgia. Maybe we just got outbid by $EC money.
Like you added, we don't know what happened. We may have made our offer and Monken decided to take the UGA gig instead.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
DAMN IT!! He was available and willing to come back to the college game and we dropped the ball. I'm not sure if Gundy even tried, but now the announcement of Dunn becoming the OC makes more sense if Monken was also being considered by UGA with it's SEC top talent.

Man, I sure wanted to see Monken back in the world's best orange.
The University said something about talking to Monken

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

What makes you think Coach Dunn won't be just as successful here?

Oct 30, 2007
What makes you think Coach Dunn won't be just as successful here?
It's more of a question of probability. Coach Monken is a proven commodity. He's proven himself to be an elite playcaller. Coach Dunn has never called plays before, so he's an unproven commodity. Which scenario provides a higher probability of success? Which scenario provides a higher probability of failure?

I really like Coach Dunn. I think there's a good chance he'll be successful at OC. But I would take a proven commodity over an unproven one in a heartbeat.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It's more of a question of probability. Coach Monken is a proven commodity. He's proven himself to be an elite playcaller. Coach Dunn has never called plays before, so he's an unproven commodity. Which scenario provides a higher probability of success? Which scenario provides a higher probability of failure?

I really like Coach Dunn. I think there's a good chance he'll be successful at OC. But I would take a proven commodity over an unproven one in a heartbeat.
I get that, but just don't understand you insisting a "mistake" was made.

Oct 30, 2007
I get that, but just don't understand you insisting a "mistake" was made.
That was a misguided statement. I assumed that we didn't try to hire Monken because he was going to Georgia, and they already have an OC on their staff. But it turns out that he'll be the OC with playcalling duties, and their old OC will either be demoted or fired.

So now I have to assume that we probably did go after Monken, but we got outbid by a school with deeper pockets. It wasn't a mistake, just bad luck on our part.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That was a misguided statement. I assumed that we didn't try to hire Monken because he was going to Georgia, and they already have an OC on their staff. But it turns out that he'll be the OC with playcalling duties, and their old OC will either be demoted or fired.

So now I have to assume that we probably did go after Monken, but we got outbid by a school with deeper pockets. It wasn't a mistake, just bad luck on our part.
Gotcha. Same thing I'm thinking-sometimes the timing's right & things work out, others not so much.

Gotta admit, Monken's an interesting, well traveled cat at this point, with connections in college & the NFL. Hard to remember how many stops he's made since leaving Stillwater.