NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
NBA suspended its season.
Jazz player has the virus.
Tom Hanks and his wife have the virus.
NCAA is considering cancelling March Madness.
The Big 12 is banning fans from the rest of its games.
NHL is considering suspending its season.
WVU, TCU, and Baylor have closed their schools.
Nebraska Head coach, who was sick, tried to coach anyway and had to be rushed to hospital midgame.

This is a surreal time.

Oct 29, 2016
US
As a virologist - research virology, specifically - this global panic is simply absurd. You have the same chance of dying from the flu (well, coronavirus is slightly more deadly). The reactions spurred by the media apparatus propagating propaganda leaves me bewildered. It's laughable, really. I assure you.. this entire situation is just absurd.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
As a virologist - research virology, specifically - this global panic is simply absurd. You have the same chance of dying from the flu (well, coronavirus is slightly more deadly). The reactions spurred by the media apparatus propagating propaganda leaves me bewildered. It's laughable, really. I assure you.. this entire situation is just absurd.
If by slightly more deadly, you mean 6 to 40 times as deadly with a transmission rate that may be double the flu, sure. As someone who has worked in research epidemiology (admittedly mine was in STI transmission and not anything respiratory), some of the measures taken seem like overkill and unlikely to help, but I also recognize that it's a new virus where the limited data so far are rather scary. Nobody wants to be seen as the disease vector or look back and say, cancelling was the better idea. This sucks and we can think cancelling games would be highly ineffective and needlessly disruptive, which I do, but we don't have to minimize other potential dangers.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm sure the people who have died are chuckling.

Nov 18, 2010
I'm hoping that when this all dies down, people will recognize what the MSM and their internet outlets for what they are.

Nov 18, 2010
I'm sure the people who have died are chuckling.
Who has died? Do you know someone who has died? Or did you read about someone dying on the internet or heard a statistic in the news?

Did you know that recently, the wikipedia page for the Spanish Flu was changed, so this virus looks worse by comparison? Use the wayback machine and look for yourself.

Did you know its easier to convince someone of a lie than it is to convince them that they're being tricked.

Try to relax friends. You're not going to die. Stop believing the lies spread by the MSM.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Who has died? Do you know someone who has died? Or did you read about someone dying on the internet or heard a statistic in the news?

Did you know that recently, the wikipedia page for the Spanish Flu was changed, so this virus looks worse by comparison? Use the wayback machine and look for yourself.

Did you know its easier to convince someone of a lie than it is to convince them that they're being tricked.

Try to relax friends. You're not going to die. Stop believing the lies spread by the MSM.
No, I actually read the report in Jama that was published yesterday. I was particularly interested in the deaths among health care workers, since I am one (I am a professor of pharmacy).

That "convinced of a lie" thing works both ways, bro. "There is no wolf" can be every bit as much a lie as "wolf!"

1583992871739.png

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC

What the heck is MSM? Please don't tell me it is some network?

Sep 9, 2013
The issue isn't really "who" will die, although that is important. The virus is twice as contagious as the flu and more deadly, but nowhere as deadly as Ebola or rabies.

The real fear is if too many people get infected at once, they will overwhelm the hospitals and medical system, and then people who have life threatening issues will have trouble getting seen. The fear of a mass outbreak isn't just the number of deaths, it is the very real danger that it overwhelms our hospitals to a point that they can't function effectively.

If the transmission can be slowed, patients can be treated in due course just as if it were a bad flu season. In other words, it would be manageable.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Infectious disease experts and epidemiologists are telling us not to congregate in large numbers so as to reduce transmission.
My bad. I didn't clarify. I'm doubtful that cancelling the games will help, but that cancelling crowds may be fairly helpful, especially as we think about the multiple events that they hold in large arenas and the challenges with cleaning the entire thing. You're right about large events. I wasn't clear.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I had something last week, and although I feel totally fine, I still have a tickle in my throat and feel the need to cough occasionally. I spend all day at work trying to not cough because everyone there acts like I'm spreading the plague if I do.

I've offered to hug it out with those most concerned about my presence but nobody seems amused.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
My bad. I didn't clarify. I'm doubtful that cancelling the games will help, but that cancelling crowds may be fairly helpful, especially as we think about the multiple events that they hold in large arenas and the challenges with cleaning the entire thing. You're right about large events. I wasn't clear.
Depends on your definition of help. If one player gets it, spreading to other players you are playing with/against is all but guaranteed. I don't know if this is accurate, but I have heard that you are contagious for 2 weeks before you even start to show symptoms.

This is why one positive test caused suspension of play in the NBA. One player being positive means that it has likely already spread to dozens of other players and personnel. If you don't stop play once you hit that level it will quickly spread throughout the system.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Depends on your definition of help. If one player gets it, spreading to other players you are playing with/against is all but guaranteed. I don't know if this is accurate, but I have heard that you are contagious for 2 weeks before you even start to show symptoms.

This is why one positive test caused suspension of play in the NBA. One player being positive means that it has likely already spread to dozens of other players and personnel. If you don't stop play once you hit that level it will quickly spread throughout the system.
New data suggests the average incubation period is about a week, but up to two weeks. It's not clear how much transmission occurs during that period. Most transmission seems to occur with people who are symptomatic, even if very mildly symptomatic, and to people with close contact. So, the question becomes how much extra transmission is likely if all players are being screened and isolated if they show any symptoms? Most data I've seen so far would suggest that's a minimal risk over replacement procedures (i.e., not actively monitoring players and coaches, or at least not as much, and allowing them contact with teammates and others at a university during the interim). Basically, institute procedure so that no one does what Hoiberg just did or gets even close, and transmission risk during the game should be quite low. Your effects for a large gathering are super different because you can clean a couple benches and the balls pretty easily, but a 15k arena where the odds of someone having it and having no idea where they sat and who sits there after them is much higher. You want to be able to ID symptoms early and do tracing for anyone who came in close contact. Very feasible for a group of 20. Impossible for 15k especially when another 15k comes in after.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

Are you serious? Just wow, WOW.