1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NCAA Golf Championship - Match Play Round 1

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by SwingingPete, May 31, 2011.

1. Fade

Fade Sheriff

Pretty sure the team cares a whole damned lot, and are not consoling themselves with the secret knowledge that they're really the best but that they need some other format to prove it. This was bad. I won't use the idiotic "poke choke" term, but proving you're the best team is the way you say you're the best in the nation. We didn't do that.

2. Fade

Fade Sheriff

"You've got a great future as a sports fan."

3. POKE1272

POKE1272 Cowboy

I don't think you can say it was a choke. Augusta State was at the beginninig of the match, and now still is, the reigning national champions. Its not like we lost to a nobody, sure they're DII but they have been really good the past several years. We didn't blow a huge lead or anything, we just got beat in match play by a good team. Its like losing to Butler in the NCAA basketball tournament. At some point you just have to recognize that they're a good, consistent team. Yeah it was on our "home course" but if you saw the course this week and have ever played Karsten before you would realize that it was nobody's home course this week. The rough was longer and thicker than I have ever seen it, and the greens were slicker. There were not many good places to miss the fairway this week and if you aren't driving the ball well, it really doesn't matter how well you know the course. ASU had been playing the course for a week before they played us, that is plenty of time to familiarize yourself with the course. Also Uihlein does not play Karsten particularly well anyways. His struggles on Karsten have been well documented since he got to OSU. I'm sure there are a few other courses that aren't considered his "home course" where he would have rather played this tournament.

So what if we were the #1 ranked team. How often does the #1 ranked team win the NCAA tournament in any sport? We made the final four, anything short of that would have been a choke. But once you get to the semifinals, everybody you play is good and you have to play your best to advance. If you don't play your best, it doesn't mean you choked, it means you got beat by another good team that played better than you that day.

4. osugrad78

osugrad78 Deputy

They are not Division II. They are Division 1 in golf, hence the reason they were playing in the NCAA Division 1 Tournament.