1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NCAA Golf Championship - Match Play Round 1

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by SwingingPete, May 31, 2011.

1. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

Re: NCAA Golf Championship - Round 2

Exactly what I was getting at man. Good points!

2. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

wow what man? wouldn't you be a little pissed off at your #1 team in the nation about right now? or would you just pat them on the backs and say its ok and get them next time? wow yourself!

3. Lafferty Daniel

Lafferty Daniel Sheriff A/V Subscriber

How does it not provide comfort? That's where the best players (our guys) stand out. Average players can look great when the conditions are perfect. That's why you see the best players in the world only playing in the most difficult tournaments on the PGA Tour. Because they know they don't have to worry about someone average tour player lighting it up because the course is easy.

I wish everyone would wait for about 3 more hourse before the epic freak out starts. Like it has been said before, three teams ahead of us haven't even teed off yet. Plus, we're only a couple strokes out of 8th place. That is nothing in team play.

Calm down, everyone.

4. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

wow man your delusional if you would rather bank on our team playing better in wind rather than a perfect day like today. wow just wow

5. superpoke

superpoke Sheriff

You'd think, after two straight years of doing awesome in stroke play and getting burned in match play, that our fans would have learned that stroke play doesn't matter, as long as we end tomorrow in at least eighth place.

If it looks like we might not do that tomorrow, then freak out. But right now, even in 10th, we're in striking distance of where we need to be.

I'll also remind you that Texas A&M won the title out of the No. 7 spot two years ago and Augusta State beat us last year from the No. 6 spot.

6. Lafferty Daniel

Do you think golf is the same thing as football? You can't rip into players and expect them to perform well. You can get your adrenaline going in football and have it pay off because you're able to hit harder, run faster, etc. Golf is the extreme opposite. You're adrenaline gets going and if you don't calm yourself down it ends up hurting you. Say you have 160 yards left to the pin and you normally hit an 8 iron that distance. Well, if you let your adrenaline take over, you'll hit your 8 iron about 168 yards and you can fly the green. Even if it is right on line, it doesn't matter if you hit 8 yards too far.

Of course I wouldn't be happy with they are playing. But guess what? There's still a whole lot of golf left. There's a reason why there's three rounds. The best teams usually rise to the top. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I highly suggest watching McGraw's interview from yesterday. I think that will answer your question as to whether he will "rip them a new one".

7. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

I am not freaking out, I am merely disappointed with our team playing so poorly on a course they play all the time! Plus, we have five studs that should be kicking the crap out of the field right now. I know its only stroke play but it doesn't make it anymore less disappointing right now.

8. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

I understand your point, but I guarantee you Holder use to get into them after a poor round. just saying and I am not a Holder fan, but thats what made him a good coach. its a motivational tool man. motivates them to play harder so they won't have to hear it from their coach again. its like any sport man. but you have your opinion and i have mine.

9. Lafferty Daniel

Is that what I said? Or was I referring to the other teams playing worse in the wind since they are not as talented as our team?

Clearly, you know a lot about golf....

10. Orangepower1977

Orangepower1977 Cowboy

yeah i do actually and yes you implied that you would rather bank on us inthe wind rather than a perfect sunny clear day. clearly you know nothing about golf man. done arguing with you

11. OStateJeeper

OStateJeeper Cowboy

I wouldn't break the panic button just yet. We sit 9th right now but will most likely sit 7th or 6th at the end of the day as three teams that haven't even started sit ahead of us and will ADD strokes to their total. All we need is solid play tomorrow and the real tourney begins Thurs.

Even the Individual Title isn't out of the question for Pete. He is only a couple strokes back and is getting back to form after a rough 1st day.

12. piston1336

piston1336 Cowboy

There is no need for a meltdown yet. Our top three guys- the team's real studs- all birdied 18. This team is currently in ninth place behind Ohio State, Kennesaw State and Arkansas, who haven't even teed off yet on a day where only Georgia is under par. Even if a team like San Diego State shoots under par to pass us, we're in good shape for the final round.

We need to shoot close to par tomorrow and make it to match play before really turning it on. Crossing our fingers, here's hoping match play pays off after we were likely out of it under the old stroke play formst. Retribution and all.

13. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com A/V Subscriber

Stop with the freakouts, the disappointments, etc.

Look at the past two years in this format.

What seeds were the National Champs in matchplay format?

Siiiiiiiigh, deep breaths.

14. teibbor

teibbor Moderator Staff A/V Subscriber

anyone have a score update or is this thread just a tickle fight?

15. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Territorial Marshal

I believe the highest score is dropped. Sean had a tough day and we will drop his score- that means as a team we were +5

pretty good day- I think we will move up a couple spots end of day. Not a college golf expert but I would guess that to be the case.

16. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com A/V Subscriber

Tee-hee!

Uihlein -3
    Tway +2
    Hoffmann +1
    Einhaus +8
    Gooch +5

Final.

17. Pokes316

Pokes316 Cowboy A/V Subscriber

arkansas quickly puked down their leg to bump us up to 8th

18. TMan86

TMan86 Cowboy

A&M at +13 for the day...ouch.

19. okstate0303

okstate0303 Sheriff

I agree 100% with this assessment. Too much adrenaline will only hurt you. That's why I drink beer when I play. :cheers:
    Windy conditions will bring the better golfers to the top of the scoreboard.
    Plenty of golf left people.

20. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Territorial Marshal

Dude we had one bad round-- everyone else is hovering around par. close to par is a great score. Karsten Creek is a tough course- chill out-- I understand you want to win so do I. I think we will be ok. Honestly i'm glad we didn't come out like a house of fire. We killed everyone last two years in stroke play and that didn't matter.

We'll see how it goes from here. I could eat my words but I hope not.