NCAA grants year of eligibility back to spring sports athletes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 17, 2011
This is really good especially for our softball girls that transferred in. I really hope they give basketball 1 more year too (i dont see it happening but who knows)

Aug 16, 2012
needs to be everyone on the squad since everyone is losing PT. Seniors will now get 4.5 years of play (theoretical) while freshman to juniors will only get 3.5 years of play. That is not right.

Aug 16, 2012
Early playing time is often a factor in their college selection. Not an issue for the elite guys, but may be for others - which is most of them.
The field is level across the board so an incoming freshman will face the same situation (retained seniors) where ever they are considering. Granted one school may be more loaded with seniors than another, but that is going to be the case regardless. Might alter their decision, but if that is their criteria, they will find the school that offers the potential for play regardless. IMO, they are the least affected since they have all four years in front of them. Maybe altering where one class will play across a full collegiate career seems to be less of an issue than taking half a year from three full classes.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The field is level across the board so an incoming freshman will face the same situation (retained seniors) where ever they are considering. Granted one school may be more loaded with seniors than another, but that is going to be the case regardless. Might alter their decision, but if that is their criteria, they will find the school that offers the potential for play regardless. IMO, they are the least affected since they have all four years in front of them. Maybe altering where one class will play across a full collegiate career seems to be less of an issue than taking half a year from three full classes.
Exactly... Everyone acts like there is not seniors as every school. Furthermore, just because they are seniors, doesn’t mean that they are going to soak up all of the playing time. If the incoming freshman are good enough to see the action, they’ll play.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Seniors that have pro ball aspirations will sign free agent contracts or still be drafted in June. If a senior decides to return next year it’s likely because pro ball opportunities are very slim. Guys like Scott, Standlee, Polcovich are draft eligible and likely will sign. The baseball clock is ticking and sticking around for a 5th year doesn’t help pro chances.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
How does this affect scholarships limits with incoming players that were going to replace those seniors?

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Seniors that have pro ball aspirations will sign free agent contracts or still be drafted in June. If a senior decides to return next year it’s likely because pro ball opportunities are very slim. Guys like Scott, Standlee, Polcovich are draft eligible and likely will sign. The baseball clock is ticking and sticking around for a 5th year doesn’t help pro chances.
I disagree with this entire statement completely. Another year could do wonders for these three.

Aug 16, 2012
I thought I read where it would only be seniors receiving the extra year. I was scrolling through Twitter so I don’t remember who the tweet was from.
The announcement stated "ALL" spring athletes.

The statement read

“Council leadership agreed that eligibility relief is appropriate for all Division I student-athletes who participated in spring sports,” the NCAA released in a statement. “Details of eligibility relief will be finalized at a later time. Additional issues with the NCAA rules must be addressed, and appropriate governance bodies will work through those in the coming days and weeks.”