NCAA grants year of eligibility back to spring sports athletes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Wow. So budget remains the same (?). Up to schools to give the crushing blow to seniors and freshman commits @ scholarly amount award.

"Schools will be able to offer less (or zero) aid or match what they provided this year. Up to each school for each athlete."
Remember that this spring's seniors should be graduating for the most part. They won't need scholarships necessarily. A more impactful point may be whether these seniors need to be enrolled for classes at the school. I believe the answer is no - not unlike the trend of seniors who have completed coursework transferring to another university for more playing time in their final year. I don't think (but could be wrong) they are obligated to take classes.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
General question and I apologize if this has already been discussed. Does this just apply to just the seniors in spring sports or does every player get another year of eligibility? Meaning, are this year's freshmen still freshmen next year and so on?

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Wow. So budget remains the same (?). Up to schools to give the crushing blow to seniors and freshman commits @ scholarly amount award.

"Schools will be able to offer less (or zero) aid or match what they provided this year. Up to each school for each athlete."
Remember that this spring's seniors should be graduating for the most part. They won't need scholarships necessarily. A more impactful point may be whether these seniors need to be enrolled for classes at the school. I believe the answer is no - not unlike the trend of seniors who have completed coursework transferring to another university for more playing time in their final year. I don't think (but could be wrong) they are obligated to take classes.
Jesus, yes those transfer seniors have to take classes. It's not like you just get to hangout and do nothing but play for your school. The transfer seniors are taking graduate classes working towards master degrees.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Jesus, yes those transfer seniors have to take classes. It's not like you just get to hangout and do nothing but play for your school. The transfer seniors are taking graduate classes working towards master degrees.
Yeah, I'm certain that you don't have to pursue a masters degree to play your 5th year, after graduation. I'd say it's more likely they take a small number of cupcake classes to maintain a GPA or whatever the requirement is.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah, I'm certain that you don't have to pursue a masters degree to play your 5th year, after graduation. I'd say it's more likely they take a small number of cupcake classes to maintain a GPA or whatever the requirement is.
This is my understanding, from discussions I've heard about it on sports radio. Don't know what PerryPoke is saying about it on his show, but the other guys made it pretty clear that this is different than the Grad transfer rule.

Like most things, though, it seems like more & more details dribble out in the days following the announcement, so we'll see.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
This is my understanding, from discussions I've heard about it on sports radio. Don't know what PerryPoke is saying about it on his show, but the other guys made it pretty clear that this is different than the Grad transfer rule.

Like most things, though, it seems like more & more details dribble out in the days following the announcement, so we'll see.
I am not saying anything about going to class on my show..not saying anything on my show. Just saying i think the seniors will be back. What are you not understanding?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
That story did not mention the specific sports involved but here are the ones affected:

"UW has 10 spring sports: softball, men’s and women’s outdoor track and field, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s rowing and women’s lightweight rowing."

Betting not a single one of those can even make enough revenue to come close to covering their own expenses. So with the college athletic departments in real concern about their financial futures (possibly no football and donations are almost non existent currently), this was somewhat of a no brainer decision.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That story did not mention the specific sports involved but here are the ones affected:

"UW has 10 spring sports: softball, men’s and women’s outdoor track and field, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s rowing and women’s lightweight rowing."

Betting not a single one of those can even make enough revenue to come close to covering their own expenses. So with the college athletic departments in real concern about their financial futures (possibly no football and donations are almost non existent currently), this was somewhat of a no brainer decision.
Correct. Barry Alvarez said this decision affected 40 seniors, but unless I missed it, he didn't address the underclassmen. Also went on to say that they'll have about a $4 million shortfall just from the B1G & NCAA BB tourneys.

And I'm betting you're right about those sports covering their expenses, they never do. With football & men's BB supporting entire athletic departments, it's going to be interesting to see what happens if the football season is comporomised.