1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Need a bigger caliber

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by MWilliams96, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Corycowboy

Corycowboy Cowboy

I am quickly learning this...I bought a bow back in July and have been shooting the heck out of it to get ready for bow season. It looks like work is going to keep me busy until the first of November. I might even miss muzzleloader season which will be a first.

2. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

Nah, honestly I've really been on the 7mm train and was looking to justify that ammo cost.

And then today on my local board, I see an insanely good deal on one:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...-700-7mm-mag-adl-w-scope-new-lower-price.html

Hmmm.

3. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

I would get a 300 short mag or a 30-06 over a 7mm.

A 30-06 is going to be the cheapest and most versitle round. If you have a 30-06 and a .243 you don't need anything else as you can shoot from 90 to 220 grain bullets, it'd just come down to wanting new toys.....and there's nothing wrong with that.

4. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

Has anyone else besides me had bad luck with the .270 especially on the under 100 yard shots down to 25 yards? I have had deer hit hard at these ranges run 200 to 400 yards with double lung shots. The same shot at 300 or 350 yards blows out the chest cavity with a clean kill from the .270.

I have not had this problem with the .243 with clean kills at both the close range and 400 yard range using premium 100 grain loads. Also the light recoil from the .243 makes shooting nearly flinch free. Lighter loads can be purchased for varmint hunting as well.

My brother has had very good luck on the close shots with both the 30-.06 and a 30-30.

I am not saying the .270 isn't a capable gun, but is fit for the open ranges where longer shots on deer will happen. There is something going on with the bullets combined with close high velocity hits on deer where expansion is not happening, or the bullet is fragmenting badly into something that isn't effective.

5. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

Fixed it for ya.

6. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

True....

7. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

8. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

I have, but it was kind of a freak thing. My dad and I were laying in tall grass on the side of a terrace, doing a little calling, watching the opening below us. I had a grunt tube I was blowing on occasionally along with the rattling horns and a little can. I blew on the tube and thought I heard something grunt back at me, but dad didn't, so I waited a bit and blew on it again. That time I knew something grunted back because it sounded like he was right there with us! I looked through the grass and he was 3 yards from us standing on the other side of the terrace. I whispered to dad to shoot him and he couldn't find him! I was pretty sure that if nobody shot him soon, someone was getting bred. Dad looked again and said oh, right there! He shot him in the front shoulder and the bullet went through the shoulder on entry, broke the other shoulder and was recovered under the skin on the off side rear ham, gut shot. Wasn't the gun or the ammo at fault, it was the moron's not paying attention to the terrace they were laying on.

9. PokealypseNow

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I've settled on the 7mm Rem mag and will be heading around to do some shopping for used guns. I'll be keeping my eyes on the Remingtons, Rugers, and Savages. But what do you guys think about Weatherby's?

I know Leupolds are the gold standard in optics, but what about the other makes - particularly of a cheaper sort? I know the idea is to buy the cheapest gun and the most expensive scope you can, but how much will I gimp myself if my used rifle comes with a Bushnell or Tasco?

10. pokefun

Weatherby's are fine rifles, depending on the model you are looking at. Where did you hear that Leupolds are the "gold standard" in optics? I would look at a Zeiss myself. If you want a cheap scope, send me a pm and I will set you up with a Bushnell or Simmons that I have taken off weapons I have purchased in the past. The Bushnell Elite is supposed to be a good scope, but I personally will never know, as nothing but a Zeiss will be found atop any of my hunting rifles. I have had good luck with Vortex scopes on a couple prairie dog guns and they are cheaper than Leupold, but I don't have any idea how they would hold up to the recoil of the 7 mag.

11. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

You are talking about 2 different calibers. The 7MM Remington Mag is not the same as the 7MM Weatherby Mag. If you are concerned about ammo prices, leave the Weatherby alone.

On optics. Don't cheat yourself. Find a good scope and stay away from cheap optics. You will absolutely get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap scope, you run the risk of having the reticle come loose between shots and you run a significant risk of losing a wounded animal.

The Zeiss Conquest is as fine a scope as you will want. There are more expensive scopes but I would have a hard time seeing the difference. Leupold VX-3 is fine, the Bushnell Elite 4200 is great glass, too. If you can't spend the money on the VX-3 or the Conquest, get a Nikon Monarch. It'll serve you well.

12. PokealypseNow

First time I've even heard about Zeiss is from you guys. Goes to show I haven't done nearly as much reading on my optics as I have caliber and make.

Regarding the Leupold thing, that's just the consensus I've heard from a whole lotta people. The fact that they're made here locally probably doesn't hurt, either. ;)

I'll PM you about the scopes.

Actually, i was referring to Weatherby rifles. From what little I've heard, they seem to be roughly in the same neighborhood as Savages as a cheap starter gun.

Doing a quick Google Shopping search on the scopes mentioned, it seems they are all in the same couple hundred dollar park (brand new). Honestly, my budget just can't afford that right now.

13. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Federal Marshal

If you're wanting an acccurate but inexpensive rifle, go with Savage. Leave the Weatherby alone. Their inexpensive ones are made by Howa.

I have some ideas and contacts for scopes when you're ready.

14. pokefun

I got a flyer in the mail a couple days ago and I think it was Midway USA that has the Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 scope on sale for $399. I personally think that is a whole lot of bang for the buck.

EDIT: It is Cabelas, not Midway that has the sale on.

15. backphil

backphil Sheriff

[​IMG]
    This is a photo of my Savage Mod 14 in .300 Savage - another really nice round for deer, bear, or elk. And it is not "butt ugly!":D

If you are not interested in the .260 Remington or the 6.5x55 Swede, then I would also recommend the 7mm/08

16. pokefun

The one that is so ugly is the one with the barrel nut. The Model 14 is a fine looking rifle, but my only reason for ever owning a Savage was the ease of changing barrels.

17. OSU_KA_04

OSU_KA_04 Greenhorn

My entire family uses the 300 Win. Mag. It might be a bit of an overkill but we never have to worry about tracking or having enough gun to make a shot. You can use this gun on any large animal in North America. They do have a bit of a kick. If that is an issue check out a .270.

18. pokefun

That is not all together true. I have seen just as many deer sized animals run off that have been shot with 300 win's/7mm remmy's/ 7stw as I have 22-250. The key is bullet placement. I can drop anything in its tracks with my 25-06 that I can with my 7mm Shooting Times Westerner or my 300 Winchester. If you don't hit it right, it ain't going straight down no matter what you hit it with.

19. PokealypseNow

Woah dang, thread necro!

Got a hold of a used Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag a few months ago. Thing does fantastic with the green box Core-Lokts in 150gr.

Didn't have any luck harvesting black tail the two times I was able to go out, but hey - I've got a long ways to go and much to learn. I'm just enjoying the start of the ride.

20. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Sheriff

Yes. It is all about shot placement. A .243 is all we used in Alaska EVERY YEAR to limit out on caribou at 200+ yards.