New guys will save us next year?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 6, 2013
What happens if they take a look at our record this year and decide to de-commit?

I would have serious second thoughts about sending my kid to play basketball there right now.

Engineering school? Sure. Basketball? Not so sure

Oct 30, 2007
All of our recruits for next year are signed. They would have to sit out a full year, and lose a year of eligibility if they chose to decommit & go somewhere else now.

Tough years like this happen. Next year will be really important. We'll have 3 seniors, and Likekele & Anei will have a full year under their belts. We'll have a lot more depth on the bench. Coach Boynton needs to prove that we're headed in the right direction next season.

Dec 6, 2013
All of our recruits for next year are signed. They would have to sit out a full year, and lose a year of eligibility if they chose to decommit & go somewhere else now.

Tough years like this happen. Next year will be really important. We'll have 3 seniors, and Likekele & Anei will have a full year under their belts. We'll have a lot more depth on the bench. Coach Boynton needs to prove that we're headed in the right direction next season.
But we can also assume that everyone else in the big 12 Will also have a team that is a year older and a year more experienced next year. And any seniors that they do graduate will be replaced by freshman recruits at least as good as the ones we have signed, right?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What happens if they take a look at our record this year and decide to de-commit?

I would have serious second thoughts about sending my kid to play basketball there right now.

Wow, aren't you full of rosey thoughts.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
But we can also assume that everyone else in the big 12 Will also have a team that is a year older and a year more experienced next year. And any seniors that they do graduate will be replaced by freshman recruits at least as good as the ones we have signed, right?
Not necessarily. We were much better in 2017-18, but we lost 4 of our top 5 scorers off that squad. Any other team in the Big 12 could go through the same thing next season. Plus we won't have to deal with the depleted roster we're dealing with this year.

Our recruiting class for next season is currently ranked 20th in the country. That's the 3rd highest ranked class in the Big 12 this year. We'll have to wait and see how good those recruit are at this level, but they look really talented.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
I would think recruits look at that situation as "a chance to get more game time early in their college career" rather then some recruit going to like Duke knowing they're probably going to be sitting on the bench for a couple of years. ????????????

Dec 6, 2013
I would think recruits look at that situation as "a chance to get more game time early in their college career" rather then some recruit going to like Duke knowing they're probably going to be sitting on the bench for a couple of years. ????????????
But places like Louisville and Duke only play freshman and only stick for one year.

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY

Fortunately these kids (and their parents) have more basketball intelligence and foresight than you do. Not to mention loyalty.

Also, our current record is not indicative of whether or not we are a "basketball school".

There is no question I would want my kid to play for Boynton. And if you cannot see what he is building and what the future of this program holds, then I feel sorry for you.

No, the incoming recruiting class wont "save us" by themselves. But college basketball is won through a combination of young talent and experienced upperclassmen and that is exactly what we will have next year. Lead by a great coach and motivator/leader of young men. The future of this program is incredibly bright.

I cannot wait to see Watson, the Boone Twins, and AAIII team up and learn from the guys we currently have on the roster. They all fill holes, provide depth, and add amazing athleticism to compliment the leadership we will have in the likes of Waters, Cam and Dziagwa and the continued maturation of guys like Isaac and Yor.

Not to mention, if Isaiah Todd reclassifies and commits to us, this team will add another element we have not seen here in a long time.

Please, feel free to jump ship on the basketball program any time you'd like. Clearly, you are having second thoughts about where the program is heading. I promise, it will get there without you.

Mar 8, 2010
I can't believe we're even discussing this. We have more basketball tradition than any school in the conference outside of KU, three solid seniors returning plus two really good freshmen and a payers coach. The new recruits have a great chance to say they were the ones who got us back to elite status. I'm not worried in the least that any of them want to leave. If nothing else it provides even more motivation to be a Cowboy and get this outfit headed in the right direction.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City

I pretty much had already considered this year a rebuilding year before it even tipped off. I think Boynton is fantastic. I don't see how you can fault him for kicking off the knuckle heads that decided to shoot up some cars with BB guns after getting kicked out of party. Although he was ranked higher, Likekele had less offers than say Calloo and I think he's going to be a hell of a player for us. If I had a child that had an offer to play for Boynton I would be ecstatic. Knowing I'ms sending my kid off to a guy that is going to bust his ass if he acts up is reassuring.

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know how you could be anything but optimistic for next year. The fact these freshmen are getting so many minutes this year will help their development immeasurably. Look at how well Yor is coming along, just amazing. Even Demuth I think will end up being a nice role player for us next year. Add in the nice incoming class, and I see us winning a lot of games.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
I don't know how you could be anything but optimistic for next year. The fact these freshmen are getting so many minutes this year will help their development immeasurably. Look at how well Yor is coming along, just amazing. Even Demuth I think will end up being a nice role player for us next year. Add in the nice incoming class, and I see us winning a lot of games.
Agreed. I'm really optimistic for next year.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
No amount of practice can make up for the game experience these guys are getting right now. It's not something I would want to do every year but It will be extremely valuable in 2 years when Cam, Lindy and Thomas D. are gone.

Dec 9, 2013
If Yor improves half as much between March & October as he has the last 2 months he will be a force on both ends that no other Big12 team except KU can match. I’m not saying he will be AA or even all conference but a night in night out 12 points/8 rebounds with his presence on defense will change the way teams play us and should free up more 3 pt looks for Lindy/DIzzy/Jones. That is a great development for the program. Likekele has to have a Forte/DIzzy like summer with a shooting coach. I’m not saying he has the talent of Marcus Smart but if he can make teams respect his jumper like Marcus somehow does then that will open up a ton of offensive flow for us. I think the key to a top half finish is if Watson or Avery can consistently beat their man off the dribble.

Next year is key for the program. I don’t know if the tourney is make or break but I don’t think the patience shown to Boynton to this point continues.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Give it a couple years. The experience Ice and Yor are getting right now will pay off huge by the time they're juniors, and we're stockpiling top 20 recruiting classes.

Should see significant improvement next year too, maybe not tournament team, but probably 17-20 wins. What we're missing right now is someone who can create off the dribble, and we've seen flashes of Ice doing that - he's still learning. Part of being a freshmen is being somewhat inconsistent. Both Ice and Yor will be the guys that other teams fans will be saying "damn how long have they been there?"