No More Vanilla Offense For Texas!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
It looks to me like Sanders hasn't learned to work the middle of the field yet. We've maybe completed one or two passes between the hashes this year. Last game gave me deja vu to the days of the Daxx Garman chuck it and pray offense.
This is the only area, where I think Dru Brown is better than SS. That is probably because of game time experience at Hawaii. When Dru came in against McNeese, he started off by firing some quick slants and we haven't really seen much of this from SS.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I DO believe UT will load the box and force Sanders to make quick and accurate throws. It would appear if he tosses the pigskin like he did against Oregon St. We can loosen them up a bit to open up the run game. My hypothesis is that SS has a grasp of the passing game but UT is going to see if he can execute under heavy pressure.

It would also seem to me that UT believes they can whip us on both sides of the ball. I'm feeling okay about our O-Line more than holding their own. On the D-side, they are going to run it down our throat until we load the box to stop them. Our CB's are going to have to play a stellar game as they are going to be on an island with some very tall receivers.

Win that turnover battle guys, limit penalties and we've got more than a punchers chance. Go Pokes!
I hope Sanders is quick and accurate as you said.

If his ball floats and our receivers have to wait and give away the separations they gotten, hope we'll win the jump balls.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Not going to thumb you down, but I call bull shit. The guy has had 18 months. If he does not have full grasp by now, maybe he was not the best recruit or choice to lead this team. Yes, he is lacking game experience, but I honestly doubt there is a single play in the book he does not know what he is supposed to do.
18 months of practice, but how much game experience? Two different things.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Not going to thumb you down, but I call bull shit. The guy has had 18 months. If he does not have full grasp by now, maybe he was not the best recruit or choice to lead this team. Yes, he is lacking game experience, but I honestly doubt there is a single play in the book he does not know what he is supposed to do.
No, he hasn’t had 18 months. It’s more like 13-1/2. He came in last year at fall camp. He wasn’t here in the spring. Neither of them were.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It’s not that he doesn’t know what he is supposed to do. It’s that he is still slow processing what the defense is doing and doesn’t yet have the confidence to pull the trigger when he needs to.

This just comes with time.

Also, passes over the middle of the field are the most dangerous ones to make. There’s a difference between knowing the play and having the in-game experience and timing to complete it without sailing the ball high and/or behind the intended receiver.
In that case, why not give him some more complicated game plans early in the season against our weakest opponents? Instead we ran Chuba 500 times and threw outside screens and long bombs. I also call BS that passes over the middle are "the most dangerous ones to make". A short cross or drag route is actually one of the easiest passes to complete...

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
If we can run the ball effectively that's what we will do, if they bring an extra defender in the box we will throw bombs. If were not effective running and they drop safeties we will play the underneath game and run the QB. That's our offense, read the safeties and run the plays it sounds simple enough.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
There's been some criticism on our "vanilla" offense for these first 3 games and for good reason. Gundy wanted to get the basics down and also not tip his hand to the tougher teams on our schedule.
Now that we're going into Austin against a Texas Longhorn team that many proclaim is "back" and loaded with talent, the creativity of Gleeson and the potential of this team will be severely tested.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the game plan.

Offensively, we've been effective, but not creative. We've not utilized our Cowboy Back, which I feel is about to get it's first big exposure. Nor have we been attacking the middle of the field with Sanders and our talented WRs.

UT knows about Wallace and Hubbard and they'll be gearing their defense to stop these two stars.
Spencer Sanders is going to have to use his legs alot more in this game, but I feel Texas will be concentrating on keeping Sanders in the pocket with disguised blitzes up the middle, which should allow our Cowboy Back some good open middle to work with.
Burn Texas up the middle a few times and that will keep them honest, which might allow Hubbard and Wallace more space to move.

Defensively, we have to keep pressure on Ehlinger. Give him too much time and he'll pick us apart. Disguised coverages and blitzes are the keys to winning this game, which should be a barn burner.

We're going to find out how good our OC and DC are in the big games.

I'm looking forward to beating Texas in Austin and putting the "Texas Is Back" rumors to bed.
Some good points, but split with you at "effective but not creative" offense. Effective wins games; there are no style points for being creative. If the offense is effective this week and we win I wont care a wit about creativity.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
In that case, why not give him some more complicated game plans early in the season against our weakest opponents? Instead we ran Chuba 500 times and threw outside screens and long bombs. I also call BS that passes over the middle are "the most dangerous ones to make". A short cross or drag route is actually one of the easiest passes to complete...
Why give him more complicated gameplans when we are simply just trying to get him comfortable playing in games at this level to begin with? Why would we set him up for failure by asking him to run a more complicated offense right out of the gate? I understand fans want to see more variety in the passing game and I think it’s coming...but he still has to walk before he runs.

We ran Chuba because that is the strength of the team and it also makes things easier for Sanders when he does need to throw. Safeties and linebackers get sucked into the box which makes things less complicated for the QB.

Passes over the middle of the field go through the most traffic and thus have the highest percentage of being picked off. A short cross or drag route with a slightly bad throw could go off the receiver’s hands and in the air for a number of defenders to catch.

Also, we largely design our passing gameplan around what the defense is doing. If they do have 7 in the box, why would we throw a short crossing route? Why wouldn’t we get it out to the perimeter where there are one on one matchups that we can exploit?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
It's the bombs that terrify me right now... We're lucky his yards short "bombs" are ending with pass interference calls instead of interceptions...

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Why give him more complicated gameplans when we are simply just trying to get him comfortable playing in games at this level to begin with? Why would we set him up for failure by asking him to run a more complicated offense right out of the gate? I understand fans want to see more variety in the passing game and I think it’s coming...but he still has to walk before he runs.

We ran Chuba because that is the strength of the team and it also makes things easier for Sanders when he does need to throw. Safeties and linebackers get sucked into the box which makes things less complicated for the QB.

Passes over the middle of the field go through the most traffic and thus have the highest percentage of being picked off. A short cross or drag route with a slightly bad throw could go off the receiver’s hands and in the air for a number of defenders to catch.

Also, we largely design our passing gameplan around what the defense is doing. If they do have 7 in the box, why would we throw a short crossing route? Why wouldn’t we get it out to the perimeter where there are one on one matchups that we can exploit?
We just have different ideas on how to manage players, and that's fine.

Why give him more complicated plans? So he can rehearse what's required to win the conference. Challenge him to run the full scheme against teams that he can falter against and we can still win. I'd prefer growing pains in those games instead of him running the whole offense for the first time on the road against a conference opponent.

I have no problem leaning on the run game a little more, but I also think we should have spent the first three games getting some other RBs more playing time. First, because we know what Chuba brings to the table, so we could have spent some time developing our younger backs in games where they can falter and we still win. Secondly, why on Earth would we place so many carries on our main RB this early in the season against our weakest opponents? He'll have nothing left in the final games, which is when we need him to be at his best. He definitely needed to play enough to knock the rust off and get the season going, but 30+ rushes is dumb, IMO.

We've been running the Daxx Garman offense since 2013. Please stop with the argument that teams are taking away the middle of the field in EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. They aren't. We just aren't utilizing it like I think we should. Its not a concerted part of our game plan.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Why give him more complicated plans? So he can rehearse what's required to win the conference. Challenge him to run the full scheme against teams that he can falter against and we can still win. I'd prefer growing pains in those games instead of him running the whole offense for the first time on the road against a conference opponent.

I have no problem leaning on the run game a little more, but I also think we should have spent the first three games getting some other RBs more playing time. First, because we know what Chuba brings to the table, so we could have spent some time developing our younger backs in games where they can falter and we still win. Secondly, why on Earth would we place so many carries on our main RB this early in the season against our weakest opponents? He'll have nothing left in the final games, which is when we need him to be at his best. He definitely needed to play enough to knock the rust off and get the season going, but 30+ rushes is dumb, IMO.

We've been running the Daxx Garman offense since 2013. Please stop with the argument that teams are taking away the middle of the field in EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. They aren't. We just aren't utilizing it like I think we should. Its not a concerted part of our game plan.
Chuba has 66 rushing attempts in 3 games for an average of 22 per game. That is just a healthy workload.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

You’re asking a kid to do calculus when he hasn’t even mastered algebra. That’s the problem. If you give him the full playbook to run right away, he doesn’t master any of it. Instead, it just bogs him down and he can’t run anything successfully.

There’s a process to this for a reason. They know how much he can handle. They see it every day in practice.

First off, we have health problems at RB. Both Jeter and Jackson have been banged up and held out.

Second, both games in which Chuba got 25+ carries were close at the half. Against McNeese State, he only got 8 carries. LD Brown has gotten his opportunities but hasn’t done much with them. His vision and decision-making isn’t where it needs to be. When you’re in closer games, you have to go with what works. You can’t be experimenting or getting young guys experience. You need to win, first and foremost.

This is just so wrong and frankly misinformed that I can’t even begin with any of it. Read this article on how the slant was an integral part of Yurcich’s offense and how often it was utilized. Then read how TE pop passes up the middle joined the fold.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-p...-the-evolution-of-the-oklahoma-state-offense/

The “Daxx Garman offense” nonsense is just lazy and needs to be put to bed.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
if they opened up the playbook for him and he sucked, you'd be on here complaining about how offense is too complicated for him.............

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
if they opened up the playbook for him and he sucked, you'd be on here complaining about how offense is too complicated for him.............
Actually, you have zero clue how I would respond to that. Interested to know how you became clairvoyant...

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
You’re asking a kid to do calculus when he hasn’t even mastered algebra. That’s the problem. If you give him the full playbook to run right away, he doesn’t master any of it. Instead, it just bogs him down and he can’t run anything successfully.

There’s a process to this for a reason. They know how much he can handle. They see it every day in practice.

First off, we have health problems at RB. Both Jeter and Jackson have been banged up and held out.

Second, both games in which Chuba got 25+ carries were close at the half. Against McNeese State, he only got 8 carries. LD Brown has gotten his opportunities but hasn’t done much with them. His vision and decision-making isn’t where it needs to be. When you’re in closer games, you have to go with what works. You can’t be experimenting or getting young guys experience. You need to win, first and foremost.

This is just so wrong and frankly misinformed that I can’t even begin with any of it. Read this article on how the slant was an integral part of Yurcich’s offense and how often it was utilized. Then read how TE pop passes up the middle joined the fold.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-p...-the-evolution-of-the-oklahoma-state-offense/

UGH watching all those highlights makes me really miss Mason. Dude was a stud. Hoping Sanders can develop the passing game quickly and be lights out this weekend.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

UGH watching all those highlights makes me really miss Mason. Dude was a stud. Hoping Sanders can develop the passing game quickly and be lights out this weekend.
When we had him the genius’s on this board were continually criticizing him for his footwork, throwing off his back feet and for looking at them wrong. Everyone’s an Einstein on OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk