Official Game Thread: Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure i understand the wringing of hands over the last punt. It was a 10 pt game with 3 and a half minutes with 4th and 5 just inside the 40. Its a low probability kick that wouldn't help much and a difficult distance to convert unless you want to throw the ball. The defense is really playing well, so l'm guessing most coaches would do the exact same thing. There are numerous examples of Gundy playing not to lose (which irritates me), but I don't think this is a great example.
The examples are the runs right before the punt. We had opportunities with open receivers to stretch that drive and maybe even score again. I hated that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I was also at the game and I have the complete opposite opinion that’s being shared about SS. Sanders continues to show an ability to put touch on short passes in a way you wouldn’t expect someone with so much velocity to have. I think the best example of that was an RB slip screen he through over heavy traffic I think in the 2nd quarter. It was an extremely minor play in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of those throws that was technically very challenging and he needed to float it the exact amount to make the play work.

I also like what I see from his decision making. My favorite play was the 3rd & 15 he scrambled for 14 for (after the review brought it back from being a first and we went for it and converted the 4th next play), that play showed how dedicated SS was to staying put and making a throw instead of running for it, eventually the crowd telling him to run is what got him to finally take off lol.

He’s finding the open guys. That play Tylan was wide open sticks out. I thought even some of his completions showed touch, the contested catch opportunity to Tylan in the end zone during the first couple possessions, the deep seam route ball to Stoner where Stoner pulled up on his route early which I think ended the second possession.

Yeah he had 2 picks, one of which was bad but you deal with when you have an improviser so talented (if you need to be reminded of the upside of improvising, see the botched snap when we had the back up Center in that SS scooped up, rolled out, and fired a throw for a first down). The other interception, the first one, was just damn good play by the other team, just gotta tip your hat.

Look, maybe the disconnect here is in how we all differently view the KU game, but I viewed it as the type of game where the level of competition was so low that I didn’t learn anything about Shane. So I’m comparing this offense to what I saw versus West Virginia, and by that criteria there is absolutely o doubt that the offense was way more dynamic with SS at the helm. Our very first drive was the 13 plays 55 yards! We’d only had one drive like that the entire WVU game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with everything you said except one. Stoner did not pull up early in his route. The DB grabbed him. It should have been defensive holding.
Way too many glaringly obvious holds were not called on Iowa State.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The examples are the runs right before the punt. We had opportunities with open receivers to stretch that drive and maybe even score again. I hated that.
k
Agreed, although I’ll expand on that just a bit to include many plays throughout the games that just don’t seem to make sense for the situation, and given our personnel. Examples include go routes on 2nd down when we had success running on first, and long sideline passes on 3rd down. Two TEs, Stoner, and Wallace available for simple, low-risk 7-15 yard slants or crossing routes and we don’t consistently use them. But hey, for now I’ll take the win.

Aug 16, 2012
I was also at the game and I have the complete opposite opinion that’s being shared about SS. Sanders continues to show an ability to put touch on short passes in a way you wouldn’t expect someone with so much velocity to have. I think the best example of that was an RB slip screen he through over heavy traffic I think in the 2nd quarter. It was an extremely minor play in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of those throws that was technically very challenging and he needed to float it the exact amount to make the play work.

I also like what I see from his decision making. My favorite play was the 3rd & 15 he scrambled for 14 for (after the review brought it back from being a first and we went for it and converted the 4th next play), that play showed how dedicated SS was to staying put and making a throw instead of running for it, eventually the crowd telling him to run is what got him to finally take off lol.

He’s finding the open guys. That play Tylan was wide open sticks out. I thought even some of his completions showed touch, the contested catch opportunity to Tylan in the end zone during the first couple possessions, the deep seam route ball to Stoner where Stoner pulled up on his route early which I think ended the second possession.

Yeah he had 2 picks, one of which was bad but you deal with when you have an improviser so talented (if you need to be reminded of the upside of improvising, see the botched snap when we had the back up Center in that SS scooped up, rolled out, and fired a throw for a first down). The other interception, the first one, was just damn good play by the other team, just gotta tip your hat.

Look, maybe the disconnect here is in how we all differently view the KU game, but I viewed it as the type of game where the level of competition was so low that I didn’t learn anything about Shane. So I’m comparing this offense to what I saw versus West Virginia, and by that criteria there is absolutely o doubt that the offense was way more dynamic with SS at the helm. Our very first drive was the 13 plays 55 yards! We’d only had one drive like that the entire WVU game.

From my perspective, it also appears he is quite the team leader. He stays engaged, upbeat and supportive. We have had too many QBs that while success may range from great to abysmal, once off the field, they seem to get lost in the crowd. SS seems to always be watching the game and "slapping butts" to keep everyone going.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Clearly you’re the one expressing anguish with Gundy’s coaching. Absent “PLAYER” mistakes, the final score would have been OSU 31-38, ISU 10-14.

That aside, what are you going to call Gundy if he wins each of the next nine games by 3 points?

Answer: National Champion.

Get perspective. You need it desperately.

Awe thats cute!!

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
How about you be you and me be me...I'm doing exactly what I want to do, you do you. I'm not trying to "police" anything...I'm just being a fan. It's what I do and have been on game day ever since this board started. Certainly I'm a positive fan...that's the whole point of being one. Have a nice night.
k

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I still reserve the right to bitch and moan about a bad punt, but I'm on board with everything I've seen from Hutton as a person.
I noticed Presley downed that ball. I didn’t realize that was his first big play. I figured I just hadn’t paid close enough attention and had missed him along the way.

I agree 100% on Hutton. I was hoping we’d replace him this year, but he has been a completely different punter so far. I’m really impressed with his contributions so far and am glad Gundy and Co. are a lot smarter than me.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I noticed Presley downed that ball. I didn’t realize that was his first big play. I figured I just hadn’t paid close enough attention and had missed him along the way.

I agree 100% on Hutton. I was hoping we’d replace him this year, but he has been a completely different punter so far. I’m really impressed with his contributions so far and am glad Gundy and Co. are a lot smarter than me.
I don't know much about punters, but I had a feeling this guy would keep working at it until he got better. This isn't some kid who is going to get easily discouraged or get an attitude.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Comparing SS to Bobby Reid undermines your credibility. That is a laughable comparison!
Your lack
Comparing SS to Bobby Reid undermines your credibility. That is a laughable comparison!
Your lack to comprehend a comparison to a previous qb situation is pitiful.
Bobby Reid on the best day he ever had was still not in the same league as Spencer Sanders. Based on the number of games played, Sanders is still technically a Freshman. This was something like his 7th of 8th complete healthy game. He’s very close to becoming what everyone hoped he could be. There’s no substitute for experience.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I thought it was a mistake not to go for it on 4th & 5 from the 37. The game is over if you make the first down, and they ended up getting the ball at the 17 anyways after the punt. So we gave up a decent chance to put the game away just to gain 20 yards in field position.

I can't complain too much though. Our defense was awesome today. Spencer Sanders needs to clean up the turnovers, but he played really well. This was a big win that really puts us in control of the league following Skyler Thompson's injury. GO POKES!
Had the similar situation at Baylor two years ago. Corndog didn't get the first, BU scored and won the game.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Bobby Reid on the best day he ever had was still not in the same league as Spencer Sanders. Based on the number of games played, Sanders is still technically a Freshman. This was something like his 7th of 8th complete healthy game. He’s very close to becoming what everyone hoped he could be. There’s no substitute for experience.
I said the situation with Illingsworth and Sanders is the similar to the situation we had earlier when Reid was replaced by Robinson, I didn't say Reid was at the talent level of Sanders.

Sep 22, 2011
I said the situation with Illingsworth and Sanders is the similar to the situation we had earlier when Reid was replaced by Robinson, I didn't say Reid was at the talent level of Sanders.
No it isn’t, sanders is the better QB right now, I am not saying that Illingworth wont pass him tomorrow, but after seeing both play and seeing how the people around them play, I am happy spencer is Healthy.

Sep 16, 2015
stillwater
Sanders is clearly a reasonable choice but what you have to ask, like with ALL running QBs is how many snaps to do you invest in him b4 his next injury... That's what it is ,,, an investment...

Sep 23, 2010
Outside of the really bad interception (first one was a really nice play by defense), Sanders exceeded my expectations passing the ball first game back. He is improved from a year ago. And he made some nice runs. But for me, I think his running could really improve. If he used that speed to set his foot in the ground and go north and south, he would gain a lot more yards. He's always trying to get to the outside when he's running and gives up what looks like 5-6 yards he could have easily gained. But for passing, he passed it just as well as Illingworth did. I'm encouraged by what I saw from Sanders.