1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Oh...that new TV contract...

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CrazySooner, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Cowboy

could make it open season for the Big 12 to poach from other conferences:

NitroOrange and Pokengineer like this.
  2. O-St8

A/V Subscriber O-St8 Orange is power.

Interesting. Any idea on what the ACC TV contracts pay out to each team? Including the "addition clause" was really smart.
  3. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

4. NJAggie

NJAggie Deputy

The ACC is looking at around $15-6M a team from what is being published.
  5. CowboyOrangeFan

A/V Subscriber CowboyOrangeFan Bro-Lo El Cuñado

Yeah well, so is this.

That is from that article you linked. Which BTW, is just some auburn blogger who somehow got a gig posting drivel like that on CBS Sports.

We all know that the SEC has the most potential value currently. However you just can't ignore the fact they are currently locked up in long term deals. CBS and ESPN aren't just going to tear those up and start over. Their will be a bump, but I think most SEC zealots will be disappointed in the final tally. Of course with that bump, and if they do indeed form a SEC Network (tier 3 content), then they should move into the top spot as far as revenue in the near future. Still, there are a lot of things that have to come to fruition before that happens.
  6. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

I thought that line was just incredibly funny personally :)

While that article may be written by a random blogger the fact that SEC commish Mike Slive is renegotiating the SEC tv deals is very factual, and those contracts do have a "look in" clause that provides for those renegotiations when the conference adds new members.

I feel pretty confident that the SEC tv money will exceed every other conference deal currently on the table including the reworked Big 12 deal before any sort of third tier SEC network is formed.

Speaking of, won't you guys get even more cash from that since WVU and TCU aren't full members for several seasons?
  7. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Cowboy

I wasn't trilled about the timing of the Big 12 renegotiations, but I like opt out clauses which reward and attract growth.

CBS cable sports channel and the SEC tier 3 content will go hand in hand if they can make the money work. They will also use it to pressure ESPN to pay top dollar for tier 1 and 2 content as well. I hope they rework their deal to set precedence for the Big 12 renegotiations after expansion. Scott got contracts for the Pac 12 based on other conference deals and not their ratings or performance.
  8. O-St8

Please, please, PLEASE...go after some ACC folk. If we want to seal ourselves as one of the top tier conferences going forward we are going to have to press the envelope on this!
  9. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Cowboy

We are a top tier conference with ten teams. The stats don't lie, but the Big 12 brass has done a terrible job of marketing the depth of our league. We led the country in conference SOS, played each conference member, and couldn't get a shot at the MNC. A big part of that is OSU was our champion and not a bigger national brand like UT or OU. The reality is the Big 10, SEC, and Pac 12 are better a supporting all teams. Look how quickly the Big 10 did a 180 on the plus one playoff system they had opposed to preserve their Rose Bowl presence. Once they saw ESPN pimping Alabama they reacted quickly to increase their odds of getting a dog in the fight. I don't think OSU and Kansas State are supported like Oregon, Stanford, Auburn, Georgia, Tennesse and Wisconsin (all less traditional confernce powers). My proof- over half of the media thought Brandon Weeden had arm strength issues after two years of firing bullets. Compare that to the treatment Cam Newton got during his one year at Auburn.
    PokeMatt likes this.
  10. NJAggie

NJAggie Deputy

Well, it looks like the contract talks have taken a new twist, and ABC/FOX are going to share the deal. Things are looking up for the Big XII.

I do think it would be good to have the SEC get a renoegotiation at this point. If they are able to match what the B1G, PAC, & Big XII have then that really puts the ACC schools in a world of hurt.

With the networks talking $5M per school a year for each 2 the Big XII adds, then I'd say the SEC going from $17M currently to $22M with the new teams would be reasonable. Now throw on tier 3 and all other sources of revenue and SEC schools will come in around $30M, and Big XII schools around $26-7M. Well the ACC schools would be pulling in about $20M. Then the Big XII and SEC schools get to add their tier 3 rights while the ACC's tier 3 are all in that $20M. So FSU would be collecting $20M while UF is collecting $40M (they have a $10M tier 3 package). Now how serious do you think they'd be about jumping to the Big XII? The SEC and Big XII pulling further away are going to get these schools seriously interested in making the move. The SEC will be happy for us to take them so that they have a shot at VT and NC State which are their targets.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/03/19/Media/Big-12.aspx
  11. O-St8

FSU, GT, Clemson would be HUGE gets if things do start to fall apart in the ACC. Add Louisville and chill at 14 until Notre Dame makes it's move. If they do decide to join with us we can pull in...hell.....whoever we want at that point, but I'd say either Pitt, BC, or possibly Miami.
  12. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Cowboy

Even with the probably sanctions coming I'd take Miami in a heartbeat over Pitt or BC.
  13. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

I still wish we had let TCU stay in the Big East and taken Louisville. I am looking forward to an easy DFW roach trip every other year though.
  14. OSUfanCliff

OSUfanCliff Cowboy

I read the article but see no reason for the kind of unbridled optimism expressed in the blog, nor even the somewhat less unrestrained optimism you have expressed. Specifically, Silva said the following:

"We have started discussions with both our television partners. We feel adding Texas A&M and Missouri has strengthened us in lots of ways, but it certainly strengthened us in television."​

Okay, he indicated discussions had started but he didn't mention how the "discussions" were going nor give an indication of when they would end.

The question I have is what specifically are they negotiating? CBS/ESPN have the SEC locked into a long term contract that is generally considered rather generous already. Perhaps you can tell me why CBS/ESPN would throw a lot more money at the SEC when it would appear that they don't have to? What can the SEC offer CBS/ESPN that they don't already have?

Presumably whatever it turns out to be will be concluded by July when Nebraska and A&M officially join the SEC.

BTW, I think it is somewhat interesting that the new Big 12-ABC/ESPN contract--if concluded as described--would end a year after the current SEC contract ends. Sounds like a good move by the Big 12 to me.

15. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

The SEC has a "look in" clause that provides for them to renegotiate their tv contracts with significant additions to the conference membership. I'd imagine this is also why the Big 12 was able to renegotiate their contracts.

As to why I think it'll be lucrative, because the Pac 12 and Big 12 have recently gotten very nice bumps in their deals and the SEC almost doubles their tv viewership. (Specific numbers on that here.)

That would be a revelation indeed. Folks in Nebraska would probably be rather shocked ;)
  16. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Cowboy

Gee, I wonder if the SEC gets high numbers because they are the only conference in which gets 75% of their games nationally televised?

Make them regional like all other conferences and their ratings go down hill...and that son is a fact!
    PokeMatt likes this.
  17. fig96

fig96 Wrangler

It absolutely does get higher numbers because of the extensive coverage of SEC games nationally. However, the SEC on CBS package was also the highest rated of any college football show for the third consecutive year and the three highest rated games of the season were SEC games.

With more eyes in Texas and Missouri interested in SEC games it would seem likely that the deal ends up more lucrative than the current Pac 12 and Big 12 deals.
  18. NJAggie

NJAggie Deputy

I agree, that it will probably end up in the $22M per team range. That would be about the bump per 2 teams that they are proposing for the Big XII contract. So $17M + $5M is $22M. So the SEC will stay about $3M ahead of the Big XII for now.

I'm actually in favor of it, because a better SEC package makes it harder for FSU, Clemson, et al to stay in the ACC. The bigger the gap between the ACC and SEC packages, the greater the chance of those schools making the jump to the Big XII.
    TouchdownCowboys likes this.
  19. CrazySooner

CrazySooner Cowboy

Like I said, no real surprise when that conference gets more nationally televised games than any other conference.

Last year alone including bowl games, they had 68 games that were nationally televised, and this does not include the ones that were on third tier like MSG, and it doesnt include regionally broadcasted games.

Compare that to the Big 12...including bowl games, but excluding tier 3 and regionally broadcasted games, The big 12 had just 40 games nationally televised.

What is my point? When you have more games that are presented to a broader audience, the chances are that they will produce bigger ratings.

Heck, going into 2011, the OU vs. Florida State game was being deemed the game of the year...featuring two top 5 teams. It was not nationally televised, just regionally. The other game shown on ABC at the same time: Ohio State at Miami (FL).
  20. TouchdownCowboys

TouchdownCowboys Cowboy

This is true. UT is already the richest and most marketed team in the league without the LHN. Who knows what happens if it succeeds, but even complete failure generates more revenue than other programs can generate even with their third tier rights. The best way to prosper is to get national exposure for all conference members. A national conference network channel (regardless of profitibility) and the recent TV renegotiations by the Big 12 should be able to get to sixteen teams and be as strong as ever. We can offer programs more revenue than the teams that have left the Big 12 will be making in their new conferences. Big 12 schools can continue to make comparable revenue by granting individual schools third tier rights, but you lose in the long run due to exposure.

The SEC proves the point and they just expanded their regional exposure. Although they got the majority of national coverage experts stated Branden Weeden didn't have arm strength and Justin Blackmon was slow. This reflects the current national exposure problems within the Big 12. 68-40 has been going on since the SEC landed on CBS. Many programs in the Big 12 would benefit from 28 extra games. I remember when one national game a year was all OSU could get. The teams that get more than four national appearances (40/10) per year killed the conference network idea. That reality is hurting the national perception of the league and makes it less desirable to potential members. It the Big 12 gets this right it could be amazing. The LHN flaming out could benefit the entire Big 12 would kill Aggies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.