OK Legislature: 35% Raise

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
It isn't quite as bad when you consider the fact that they haven't had a raise in over 20 years, and inflation is up over 50% over that time span. It still seems high to me for 4 months out of the year.

I wonder how much teacher salaries have increased over the past 20 year?

Oct 30, 2007
The average teacher salary in 1999 was $30,294. The average salary in 2019 after the teacher pay raises is expected to be $52,400. So teacher salaries are up 73% over the past 20 years.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
The average teacher salary in 1999 was $30,294. The average salary in 2019 after the teacher pay raises is expected to be $52,400. So teacher salaries are up 73% over the past 20 years.
Still, compared to surrounding states we’re losing teachers. The number of emergency certificates increases every year. For some reason apparently, people just don’t want to teach anymore.

Oklahoma legislators/Best part time job around.

Oct 30, 2007
Still, compared to surrounding states we’re losing teachers. The number of emergency certificates increases every year. For some reason apparently, people just don’t want to teach anymore.

Hopefully we're at least moving in the right direction. We won't be a top 10 state in education any time soon, but maybe we can at least move out of the bottom 10.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Hopefully we're at least moving in the right direction. We won't be a top 10 state in education any time soon, but maybe we can at least move out of the bottom 10.
We'd be a helluva lot closer if we actually consolidated administrations across the state.

I said it when the teachers were striking & it's still true today: if we're not going to talk about the elephant in the room here, we're not having a real discussion about education funding. Just look up how many districts Oklahoma has with less than 350 kids K-12 & each have their own administration. It's asinine.
Just go east of Stillwater & explain why Morrison, Glencoe & Ripley all need their own administration, meanwhile Stillwater's admin is overseeing 1500 students.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Among the reasons why people don't want to teach anymore is because kids are becoming disrespectful little s**ts and their parents are horrible. When I was a kid, if I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble at home. These days, if a kid gets in trouble at school, the parents come after the teacher. Then the cycle of disrespect keeps going.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Politics - Where the employees tell their bosses how much the employees pay is going to increase... Seems kinda backwards doesn't it??

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Among the reasons why people don't want to teach anymore is because kids are becoming disrespectful little s**ts and their parents are horrible. When I was a kid, if I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble at home. These days, if a kid gets in trouble at school, the parents come after the teacher. Then the cycle of disrespect keeps going.
Believe me I get the disrespect all the time in here. I have been retired for over seven years and more that a few in here think I should continue to try to walk on water. I played that game for 34 years, now I don’t even try. Cell phones are a huge problem too. There are a couple of completely innocent things that happened if filmed out of context would have been on the news and I would have probably been fired. Teachers are the most under appreciated professionals in our country.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Believe me I get the disrespect all the time in here. I have been retired for over seven years and more that a few in here think I should continue to try to walk on water. I played that game for 34 years, now I don’t even try. Cell phones are a huge problem too. There are a couple of completely innocent things that happened if filmed out of context would have been on the news and I would have probably been fired. Teachers are the most under appreciated professionals in our country.

I bet a cop or two might quibble with that.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Yep. Both my in-laws retired a little early from the Tulsa Union school system because of these problems. My father in law went on to get a couple more years out of teaching at Rogers State and was a much happier person teaching people that wanted to be there and not dealing with parents anymore.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I bet a cop or two might quibble with that.
I doubt it if they knew the facts. Teachers used to be under the rule of 80. When your age and experience equal 80 you could draw full retirement. So if you are 52 and have 28 years in you’re done. Well the police and firefighters started their retirement system with a $30 million loan from teacher’s retirement with the understanding that we would be paid back with interest. They are twenty years and out. Then the state raised teachers to the rule of 90 adding five more years. That’s when we retired at 35. Fire and police still 20. They have raised it now to 65 years of age period now. Still fire and police at 20. AND the damned state NEVER forced them to pay back the $30 million or the interest. If you are hired right out of college to teach in Oklahoma you can expect to teach over 40 years before you can retire. And still fire and police are at 20.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I doubt it if they knew the facts. Teachers used to be under the rule of 80. When your age and experience equal 80 you could draw full retirement. So if you are 52 and have 28 years in your done. Well the police and firefighters started their retirement system with a $30 million loan from teacher’s retirement with the understanding that we would be paid back with interest. They are twenty years and out. Then the state raised teachers to the rule of 90 adding five more years. That’s when we retired at 35. Fire and police still 20. They have raised it now to 65 years of age period now. Still fire and police at 20. AND the damned state NEVER forced them to pay back the $30 million or the interest. If you are hired right out of college to teach in Oklahoma you can expect to teach over 40 years before you can retire. And still fire and police are at 20.
I thought putting it in bold would make it clear.