1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pool Tables from Academy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InHocPoke, Dec 12, 2010.

1. InHocPoke

A/V Subscriber InHocPoke Sip Drank, Drip Paint

I am looking for a pool table to complement my bachelor pad. My roommates and I are more focused on spending less money. I noticed that Academy sports sells brand new 7 and 8 foot pool tables for $299 and $399 respectively. For an additional $185, they will deliver, assemble, and level the table for you.

I know Craigslist is a great place to find cheap used pool tables, but would it really be worth the money (possibly) saved by shopping here if I only plan on keeping the table for a few years before selling it?

7' Pool Table
  2. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

If your in Oklahoma City. Check out AAA Billiards. Really nice guy and are willing to work with about anyone. They seem to be fair priced, and it depends on what kinda of table your looking for and how serious you are wanting to work on your game. If your just wanting to drink a few beers and shoot some pool at your place then I would suggest getting a cheap one off craigslist, but if your wanting to get serious about playing then go to AAA billiards, or start looking for semi-pro tables. There is many options but it just depends on what your looking for.
  3. InHocPoke

That is what describes my needs

What really concerns me is that I have heard proper transporting of a pool table involves taking it apart, moving it, and then reassembling it. I feel like this might add a lot of cost to an otherwise cheap pool table. This is why I was wanting to see if anyone had any experience with the pool tables from academy.
  4. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

Yeah tables can be aggrevating to move. Number one make sure it is a slate top table. That is the most important thing. If you have a few friends, a truck, and a 4' level you should be fine tho. Just as long as you don't have to pack it up a flight of steps. Make sure if you don't buy it from academy you have at least 4 friends with you cause a 7' slate table could weigh up to 500 lbs. I don't know it depends if saving 100 or 200 is that important to you.
  5. InHocPoke

Haha now that you mentioned it, I forgot to say that I live in a Top/Bottom Duplex, and I'm on the top. So yes, we would have to move it up a flight of stairs.
  6. RoVerto Solo

Banned RoVerto Solo Banned

Have you considered a Bumper Pool table?
  7. InHocPoke

Haha yes! I like playing bumper pool, but my roommates want a regular one...
  8. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

I may be off here, but I know a guy in the business that once told me you want a slate table with over 1" thick slate. He said many that are 1" or less will break really easy during the move and set up.

I may be misremembering this, but anyway, carry on.O-O
  9. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

Then yea buy one from Academy, and have them do all the work, cause they are heavy. My suggestion is go to Academy look at the floor models, and see if they will let you shoot one game on them just to make sure that is the one you like, and if your living on the top floor, and that probably means that your not going to live their for no more than a year or two, you might not want a slate top, but keep in mind if it is wood or plastic top. There is a chance it will warp, but they are much lighter so when you move it would be easier to take apart and move out. Then when you settle down a little more you could sell it and get a better slate top.
  10. oufannot

oufannot Wrangler

This is a good website that gives you a lot of info on tables.

http://www.pooltableplans.com/Room Size.htm

There is always a chance of breaking slate, and you usually don't see anything less than an inch, and depending on size you can just overdo it, and have something that just sucks trying to move around, but wood almost always warps due to temp, and humidity.
  11. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Have them deliver and set it up. I will not be the friend with the truck willing to help move and set it up. :D

Let me know when it is set up so I can come play next time I'm in the city. ;)
  12. InHocPoke

How would I be able to tell if the playing surface is wood or slate? Assuming it does not say...
  13. jetman

jetman Cowboy

You'll be able to tell the difference when you are playing on it. Those cheap academy pool tables are not slate, they have MDF (fiberboard) tops. A buddy of mine bought one about 5 years ago. We had fun playing on it, but they just have a cheap feeling to them. Balls roll smoother, longer, and more accurately on slate and make a different noise when they are rolling. The wood top tables have a hollow sound to them. They sound exactly like what it is, balls rolling on a piece of wood. With slate tables, all you really hear is the ball rolling on the felt.

I don't know if my buddy still even has his, it's been about 3 years since I've been over to his house. It may be a good idea to get one of these for your situation since you have to move it upstairs and since it's not something for a permanent residence. It's pretty much a disposable pool table. Won't be worth much after a couple of years. Like oufannot said, that wood will probably eventually warp. Keep drinks away from the table if you get a cheap one, you don't want someone spilling something on that particle board. Could ruin the table right there. Oh, and I might add, I wouldn't try jump shots or anything like that on a wood top, you could chip or dent the top which would screw up a smooth playing surface.

A slate table will cost more, but it'll give you the true pool playing experience and you can always resale those things and recoup alot of your money back.

Pro's and con's to both for your situation, but just know that with the academy tables, you'll know right away that you are playing on an inferior product and don't expect to get much out of it a couple of years down the road.

Just google "slate top pool tables vs. wood (or MDF) top tables" and you'll find some articles and other opinions on the matter.
  14. InHocPoke

Thanks. That's what I was needing to find out. If I find a good deal on Craigslist, I might just pay one of the billiard places in town to move it for me. That way, I can keep it for maybe 5 years and then sell it afterwards.

Thanks for all the input guys
  15. POKEaLOT

POKEaLOT Wrangler

Aminis Galleria is going out of business on NW Expressway, you may want to check them out.
  16. InHocPoke

I heard about that today... If they have anything south of $1000, I might be game. Otherwise, no thanks.
  17. dds115

Try lifting one end... if you can't lift it, it is slate. Those things are hella heavy.
  18. InHocPoke

One of the billiard shops in town has a used Brunswick 7' table with plastic drop pockets. He said he would replace the felt in any color I want (uh oh O-O), deliver, assemble, and level it for $700. This is looking promising.
  19. dds115

DO. IT. Can I vote for Orange?
  20. InHocPoke

I've thought about that, but the issue is if i wanna sell it, not everyone likes Orange, which is a shame