1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Prayers Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NYC Poke, Jul 11, 2012.

1. zachya

A/V Subscriber zachya Hero of Spielburg

...praying for ya, man...praying real hard...
    NYC Poke likes this.
  2. OrangeInPhilly

OrangeInPhilly Wrangler

Praying.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly is Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. -2 Corinthians 1:3-5
  3. Roman Craig

A/V Subscriber Roman Craig Race Ya Home!

Sorry to hear this.

Continued prayers.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  4. osupride97

A/V Subscriber osupride97 Ambassador of Quan

Will be praying for God's peace and love to surround your family. God can heal us or He can take us home, anything can happen when you believe in the Almighty.

Take a trip, enjoy the time you have together. Write down things so you can laugh and cry about them later. God bless.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  5. OSU79

A/V Subscriber OSU79 Wrangler

Prayers sent for you and yours, NYC, and for snuffy too.

If y'all have any left over, please pray for Isabella, a 6-yr-old friend of the family in urgent need. She needs a miracle and it must come quickly.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  6. osupride97

Absolutely. Added her to the list.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  7. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

He's 47, turns 48 in about a week.

This all started last Spring. He started getting excrutiating sinus headaches. They tried to treat him with antibiotics and it didn't do any good, so they sent him in for a CT scan and voila.

He's been through a full round of chemo and hardcore radiation. He handled both of those pretty well. The chemo would make him feel sick a few days, but then he'd be back on his feet. The worst part is the shots they gave him to protect his salivary glands, they made him projectile vomit like you wouldn't believe. The radiation was hardcare enough that he has shrunk 2 inches from its effects on his spine.

He started getting really sick after his chemo was done. The physiology of his sinuses had been altered and he was plagued by severe infections. The sinus pressue was so bad this it burst his eardrums (I can't even imagine how badly that must have hurt). His throat was swollen and he couldn't swallow -- when he tried to even drink water it would come out of his nose.

The did a PET scan after his chemo was through and they didn't locate any cancer. But he kept getting sick and his weight kept dropping (he used to weigh about 210, one of the times we took him to the ER he was down to 123). Finally they did another scan and found cancer.

Off to MD Anderson.

The quality of care he has received there has been excellent, and I recommend MD Anderson for any of you or your family members if your insurance will allow it (thankfully my brother has good insurance). But these damned infections keep coming back, and there have been numerous trips down to Houston (about 5 hours from here -- we're in the boonies). The isolated the source of the infections to an infected bone in his ear (in itself life-threatening). They decided against surgery because the morbidity rate from the surgery is high, even for people without cancer. Finally, yesterday, his doctor told my brother that he expected Mark would succomb to his illness.

I recount this because, as I have told others, I always knew that people with cancer suffered, but I'd never been around someone with cancer and seen their suffering firsthand. I've learned a lot, and this may help prepare someone in the future if they or a family member have to go through something similar. All I can say is the ups and downs are maddening.

BTW, they strongly believe this was caused by HPV, which pretty much everyone in my generation who has had sex with somebody who has ever had sex with somebody else has. I have it.

Get your kids vaccinated.
  8. NYC Poke

The well runs deep. I'm doing a lot of praying these days.
    bleedinorange and OSU79 like this.
  9. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Prayers to NYC and Snuffy, I lost my mom to dementia so I can identify with what you are going through.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  10. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

Very sorry to hear that, NYC. Thoughts and prayers your family's direction. I hope you get to spend as much time with him as possible.

I hope he gets a ton of joy from building the computer. Not sure how tech savvy he is, but I have built a few computers now and nerd out pretty hardcore, if he has any questions about builds or the latest and greatest technology, hit me up.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  11. jobob85

A/V Subscriber jobob85 Cowboy

NYC Poke as I sit here with watery eyes trying to think of the right thing to say all I can come up with is I am so sorry for everyone concerned. I will pray for you, your brother and your mom.
    Wayne C and NYC Poke like this.
  12. jetman

jetman Deputy

Very interesting post NYC. If your brother is keeping his head high after all of that, he's a stronger man than any of us.
    jobob85 and NYC Poke like this.
  13. NYC Poke

We had a really cool family/ church moment this morning that I'd like to share. I found it really inspirational and I hope I can express it well enough to get that through. I'll try to keep the length manageable but the details are important.

We found this church purely by coincidence. I was asked to join the band. My mom had grown out of her last church (she was tired of the infighting) and was looking for a new one. I thought this one seemed really cool and invited her along. A lot of East Texas congregations can be really insular and make you feel like an intruder for darkening their doors; not so this one. They've really welcomed us and we've become involved to the extent we can. My brother has wanted to go, but has been physically able to attend only a couple of times, so he's not really known there.

As I have mentioned, one of the first phone calls I made when I found out my brother's condition is likely terminal was to my preacher. I called mainly to ask him to get in touch with my mom, who was a basket case for a bit, but Brother James was able to provide a lot of comfort to me. When I talked to my mom later that night, she mentioned how comforting he'd been for her. He continued to call us throughout the week, just asking how we were and if there was anything he could do for us.

My brother was feeling pretty good this morning so he came with us to church. After the band played and all the announcements were made, Brother James asked my brother, my mom, and me to come up before the chuch and then asked everybody to gather around us. He told the story of my brother's journey with cancer, and then he had Elders pray for both my mother and me, and then he prayed for my brother.

When he finished my brother asked to say a few words. My brother is NOT one for public speaking so that in itself was unusual. Mark thanked everyone for their prayers and let everyone know how uplifting it was for him.

Then my brother said how his ordeal had taught him what a blessing life is, even the most difficult parts. He said how his battle with cancer had iteself been a blessing, because it had brought our family closer together, had brought us indirectly to that church, had shown him how many people truly love him, and had brought us all closer to God. He said he knew that even if God did not heal his body, he felt Healed.

There was not a dry eye left in the church.
    IrishCowboy, Pokit N, ksupoke and 5 others like this.
  14. osupride97

And not a dry eye in my office! Thank you for sharing. I am blessed by your blessings!!

God is so good and He is the ultimate Healer. Your brother may not be healed on earth, but he knows Him who heals. It sounds like he has peace about his ordeal, as much as he can anyway.

God bless you all.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  15. osupride97

I get a daily devotional from my church, Watermark in Dallas, and this Journey spoke to me about your brother. Please share if you feel inclined.

YOU MAY BE GOD'S MIRACLE IN SOMEONE'S LIFE

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us . . . . (2 Corinthians 5:20a)

God intends for the words and works of His followers to demonstrate His love for this world and its people. We often experience God's love, character, and plan through the words and deeds of His followers. People are His ambassadors and appeal to this earth.

REFLECTIONS

People ask, "If there is a God, why does He allow so much suffering?" A best seller was titled "God is Not Great." Some followers of Christ even say, "My faith is a very personal thing."

I recently spent time with different people who are unemployed, rape victims, sick and terminally ill, struggling with infertility, struggling with addiction, and hurting from past or ongoing abuse and neglect. These suffering, hurting, and lost people cry out to God for help, relief, respite, and comfort. They wonder whether He is there at all, whether He is great, and whether He will get involved.

I'm reminded in 2 Corinthians 5:20 that Christ's followers are God's ambassadors here on earth. A Christian's conduct and works is not what leads him or her to salvation, but it does inform the world about God's character, nature, and plan. God can and does perform supernatural miracles. But He also shows His love for us, intervening in our lives, problems, and desperate situations, and answering prayer through the actions of His followers.

We want God to seek out those in need and provide aid and comfort. The call of Christ's followers is to act as His ambassadors here on this earth and do good works that tell the world He loves us, He has a plan, He is involved, He is there, and He is great. When we seek out those in need -- rape victims, people in poverty, the unemployed, the hungry, the sick, the desperate, the addicted, the hurting, and the lost -- and provide love, aid, and comfort, we are His appeal to this earth.

This chapter motivated me to do God's work, showing the world God's love through my actions. What we want God to do, we must do in His name. We cannot afford for our faith to be "a personal thing." It must be interpersonal, intentional, and active so that people can know God loves and cares for them.
    NYC Poke and ksupoke like this.
  16. Boomer.....

Boomer..... Cowboy

Prayers sent!
  17. NYC Poke

Hey, Boomer, could you please let my friends from that "other" board kinda know what's going on? I haven't been around there much lately, but I know you know who I'm talking about.

And tell your buds from BC to keep up the stoke!
  18. Boomer.....

Boomer..... Cowboy

19. IrishCowboy

IrishCowboy Cowboy

Good thoughts and Prayers brother.

Recall and recount shared memories to your brother, you know, those things only you and he know because you did them together. That was a catharsis that my cousin (raised as a brother) and I would exchange when we had reconciled ourselves with his outcome. I could see the burdens unwind themselves on him day by day, I think mostly because he knew it helped to comfort me.

Dum spiro, spero.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  20. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers.
    NYC Poke likes this.