Predictions for Texas Game

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I just hope the game stays competitive and Texas doesnt jam the ball down our throats. They have not won since 2008 in Austin. Guaranteed, they circled this game on the calendar. If we dont come to play. This could get uguly.
I read one of their running backs is returning for this game. So that gives them 2 RBs and their 3rd RB is a backup QB. So it's not likely they will go run heavy. Through 3 games they've had 125 passes to 103 rushes.

I hope we get at least one DT back this week. Two would be even better.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
He obviously knows more than I do, but he still has no clue how to defend against teams with a spread offense philosophy
If he knows more than you it means that you have even less of a clue than he does, and yet you think you know how to defend against teams with a spread offense philosophy. So, how does that work with you being even more clueless than he?

1568802848045.png

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
If we play a full 4 quarters, I believe we can win this one. If we have a quarter like Q2 at Tulsa, I don't see us being able to get it together to pull out a W... Either way, I think it's going to be an exciting game to open conference play with.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
UT is motivated especially after the loss to LSU, and oh yeah there is a revenge factor after last year. We are in typical start off slow mode, or taking our foot off the gas way too early on offense Like most I will happily accept that I was wrong on this one.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I've personally been combating allergies lately, so I apologize for not posting more in the past week. Here's some of our OSU-Texas preview coverage so far this week...

Guerin Emig on Spencer Sanders...

Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders knows Tom Herman a little.

“As soon as he got hired, him and Tim Beck came to my high school and talked to me,” Sanders said about Texas’ head coach and his offensive coordinator, taking us back almost three years. “I said, ‘Hey I’m committed to Oklahoma State. I don’t have any interest anywhere else.’ They said, ‘That’s fine. We respect that.’ And they went about their business.”

Sanders was a four-star quarterback at Denton (Texas) Ryan, but Saturday’s game at Texas isn’t some “I’ll show you” exhibit to Herman. Nor is it a proving ground to friends and relatives.
OSU notebook on players/coaches talking about Texas from Frank Bonner II...

“They have a beautiful stadium,” said Cowboys cornerback A.J. Green, a senior from DeSoto, Texas, who is one game away from a career sweep against the Longhorns. “It’s nice and big. This is one of those stadiums when you walk into you’re like, ‘Wow.’ You can feel it here. You can feel the energy and everything, even though we’re playing away.”

Green remembers having jitters his first time playing at Texas but said he settled down early in the second quarter. Veteran safeties Tre Flowers and Ramon Richards helped him keep focus. Green will try to do the same for the younger guys Saturday.

“I just try to tell them don’t get lost in the moment,” Green said after practice Tuesday. “There are going to be a lot of people. It’s going to be loud, it’s going to be crazy. But this is just football, the game you’ve been playing since you were younger, so just go out there and ball.”
Also from Frank, OSU has the leading rusher and receiver so far this season...

“Most offenses, I should say outside of this league, over the history of college football have had a rusher or a passer, or a receiver,” Gundy said during Monday’s press conference. “I don’t know if there’s ever been anybody this far in the season have a leader in both categories, so probably pretty unique.”

“It’s pretty cool,” Gundy said. “I don’t know if that’s ever happened before. Maybe it could have happened like Week 1 or something. Once you get into a football season, which we’re in Week 3½, I don’t know if that’s ever happened where you’ve had a leading rusher and a leading receiver on the same team.”
From Bill Haisten: Coach Gundy on defensive improvement...

With 10 minutes left to play and TU trailing by 12 points, Philip Montgomery left his offense on the field for a fourth-and-5 gamble from the OSU 6-yard line.

Gundy himself called for a safety blitz. Kolby Harvell-Peel bolted into the backfield for a 9-yard sack of Smith.

“That was a really, really good job by our (defensive staff) — making adjustments at halftime, and then our players taking the information from the locker room to the field to shut (TU) down,” said Gundy, who as an OSU quarterback, assistant and head coach is 10-4 against the Golden Hurricane.

“And, obviously,” Gundy added, “we rushed the ball pretty well.”

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I heard this game is sold out. The first time (in a long time?) for OSU vs UT.

Also, the UT secondary allowed three 100 yard receivers against LSU. You know they're going to stack the box to stop Hubbard. We'll see what Sanders is made of this game.

Cheer on the Pokes. I'll be at a dang birthday party and hoping I can sneak off to stream the game.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
In a lot of ways, I hope the refs make a critical call in the Pokes favor late in the game, so all the horn fans can complain about how the refs are aligned against them. I warms my cold black heart.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I think this is the first time in our last 6 trips to Austin that we are going to Austin without the best team on the field. I have some comfort knowing that we WILL have the best running back and the best receiver playing in the game. So that gives me some hope.

My guess is, IF we are able to win, its going to be a score fest with a something like a 45-42 score. I think our defense will be challenged. I think at best our defense will slow Texas down. But they will probably score points on us. The challenge will be if we can keep pace with them on scoring and hopefully have the ball last....

Last edited:

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
People need to start viewing our defense in the form it took in the second half of the Tulsa game.

That is what we will be seeing from here on out. That doesn’t mean we’re going to shut everyone out like we did TU, but if anyone thinks Jim Knowles is only going to bring pressure 10% of the time against competitive opponents (like he did most of the OOC games), you’re nuts.

He’s going to run blitz and pass blitz. He’s going to do it from all kinds of exotic formations like this beauty from the 4th down stop.
1DFD7CCD-3835-4B89-A23C-2E47E8243011.jpeg

We don’t need “LSU talent.” We need a good gameplan and to play disciplined/fundamentally sound.

On offense, we’re going to get ours. The run game is too strong and their secondary is suspect. Sanders having a bad game last week likely ends up a blessing in disguise for motivation and learning opportunities.

45-42, Pokes win.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Not a single player on this team has EVER lost to Texas...I don't see that changing. They are NOT some super power to be feared...and frankly some of our fans are weak sauce to swallow the hype. Go Pokes!

Cowboys 38
Cows 28
Or maybe they watched the LSU game and all of our games and are basing their opinions on what they've seen instead of what colored sunglasses they are wearing?

Naaaaaaaah.

Nov 6, 2010
People need to start viewing our defense in the form it took in the second half of the Tulsa game.

That is what we will be seeing from here on out. That doesn’t mean we’re going to shut everyone out like we did TU, but if anyone thinks Jim Knowles is only going to bring pressure 10% of the time against competitive opponents (like he did most of the OOC games), you’re nuts.

He’s going to run blitz and pass blitz. He’s going to do it from all kinds of exotic formations like this beauty from the 4th down stop.
View attachment 73284

We don’t need “LSU talent.” We need a good gameplan and to play disciplined/fundamentally sound.

On offense, we’re going to get ours. The run game is too strong and their secondary is suspect. Sanders having a bad game last week likely ends up a blessing in disguise for motivation and learning opportunities.

45-42, Pokes win.
While I still think any defense in the spread/RPO era needs "LSU talent", I love the optimism and want to believe. Can you tell me what about the above formation is so good and you find so appealing?? I enjoy your takes and would love to know what you're thinking here.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
While I still think any defense in the spread/RPO era needs "LSU talent", I love the optimism and want to believe. Can you tell me what about the above formation is so good and you find so appealing?? I enjoy your takes and would love to know what you're thinking here.
We overloaded one side of the line causing confusion on who the O-line was supposed to block. Only two down linemen. Trace Ford is lined up in the secondary (!!!) on the very right of the screen. We then brought the blitz from the middle and the left, making the running back choose one while the other had a free lane to the QB.

Don’t get me wrong. I would LOVE to have LSU talent. But there’s a few things to keep in mind.

One, I think LSU is heavy and not conditioned for Big12 offenses. All the talent couldn’t stop them from going down several times with cramps in the second half.

Two, they rely on their talent whereas Big12 defenses have to create better schemes and gameplans to combat forward thinking Big12 offenses. That’s why Iowa State’s defense, despite its lack of talent, continues to be successful. We can do the same with a slight upgrade at talent.

I think Knowles has a lot up his sleeve for Saturday. We saw some of it during the second half against TU when we all but shut down their run game.

Right now for the year, Texas is averaging a mere 4.32 yards per carry. Against Rice, they averaged 4.75 yards per carry. They aren’t the rushing juggernaut people seem to think they are. Keep them honest there and put stress on Ehlinger in the passing game. They’ll score points for sure but I think we can score more.

Nov 6, 2010
We overloaded one side of the line causing confusion on who the O-line was supposed to block. Only two down linemen. Trace Ford is lined up in the secondary (!!!) on the very right of the screen. We then brought the blitz from the middle and the left, making the running back choose one while the other had a free lane to the QB.

Don’t get me wrong. I would LOVE to have LSU talent. But there’s a few things to keep in mind.

One, I think LSU is heavy and not conditioned for Big12 offenses. All the talent couldn’t stop them from going down several times with cramps in the second half.

Two, they rely on their talent whereas Big12 defenses have to create better schemes and gameplans to combat forward thinking Big12 offenses. That’s why Iowa State’s defense, despite its lack of talent, continues to be successful. We can do the same with a slight upgrade at talent.

I think Knowles has a lot up his sleeve for Saturday. We saw some of it during the second half against TU when we all but shut down their run game.

Right now for the year, Texas is averaging a mere 4.32 yards per carry. Against Rice, they averaged 4.75 yards per carry. They aren’t the rushing juggernaut people seem to think they are. Keep them honest there and put stress on Ehlinger in the passing game. They’ll score points for sure but I think we can score more.
Thanks, much appreciated. Of course Ehlinger is the key, especially in the rushing category. We could shut down their RB's, and they could still have big rushing numbers because of him, just like us with Sanders. I really like their converted QB that is playing RB now, but I think he is ripe for fumbles. Here's hoping we get a couple of those this Saturday.