Presidential meltdown coming?

  • You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#61
I'm starting to believe you bring a whole new meaning to rabid.
that's all well and good, but you did not reply to even one point that I made, and all you do is spout leftist talking points, that you don't even comprehend.

How about we have a discussion... you pick the topic.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#62
that's all well and good, but you did not reply to even one point that I made, and all you do is spout leftist talking points, that you don't even comprehend.

How about we have a discussion... you pick the topic.
I'd probably pick outdoor activities lol but phone needs recharging and so do I. Have a good evening and I hope your wife gets to feeling better soon.
 

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#63
I'd probably pick outdoor activities lol but phone needs recharging and so do I. Have a good evening and I hope your wife gets to feeling better soon.
let's talk about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... currently the government takes about 60% of our working life and livelihood, and leaves us with 40% of our lifetime earning power to earn enough to both live on and last us through retirement.

How is that freedom or liberty if they take 60% of your life? If we're only talking Federal government then it's more like 45-50% (income tax, SS tax and medicare tax).

How much of your life and livelihood should the federal government be able to take from us?

What is your limit?
 

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
52,556
18,181
1,743
#64
let's talk about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... currently the government takes about 60% of our working life and livelihood, and leaves us with 40% of our lifetime earning power to earn enough to both live on and last us through retirement.

How is that freedom or liberty if they take 60% of your life? If we're only talking Federal government then it's more like 45-50% (income tax, SS tax and medicare tax).

How much of your life and livelihood should the federal government be able to take from us?

What is your limit?
And then given to a growing percentage of our population who paid little to nothing into the system. At some point the well dries up.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#65
let's talk about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... currently the government takes about 60% of our working life and livelihood, and leaves us with 40% of our lifetime earning power to earn enough to both live on and last us through retirement.

How is that freedom or liberty if they take 60% of your life? If we're only talking Federal government then it's more like 45-50% (income tax, SS tax and medicare tax).

How much of your life and livelihood should the federal government be able to take from us?

What is your limit?
Isn't it our jobs and careers we sell our life force to? I get the government takes its share. We'd like to pretend that if we had the option of investing our own money from age 14 up that we would be regimented enough and fortunate enough to do much better. But I came to the conclusion that even though my return on investment was low, it's much better than I expected and realistically better than my undisciplined self could have done. Don't mess with my damned Social Security along with my work retirement we're fine.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#66
And then given to a growing percentage of our population who paid little to nothing into the system. At some point the well dries up.
Christ said "the poor you shall always have with you". And He tells us how to treat them as well. The Bible states: " If a man won't work, he shouldn't eat". Thanks to the Clinton administration, modern welfare forced a work requirement and time limits. However, none of the above mentions corporations. Imho corporate welfare should be cut way before human welfare. Citizens United is an abomination. They are now considered near immortal humans and money is free speech. But they don't get just one vote, they have the power now to buy elections with help from one party or the other. It's not we the people, instead it's we the oligarchy.
 

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
16,919
2,196
743
Where else but Stillwater
#67
let's talk about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... currently the government takes about 60% of our working life and livelihood, and leaves us with 40% of our lifetime earning power to earn enough to both live on and last us through retirement.

How is that freedom or liberty if they take 60% of your life? If we're only talking Federal government then it's more like 45-50% (income tax, SS tax and medicare tax).

How much of your life and livelihood should the federal government be able to take from us?

What is your limit?
So if you privatized government you would probably be paying about the same or more to all the private services giving you police and fire protection as well as maintaining the street in front of your house. That is just for starters. But if some of your neighbors didn't have the money to maintain the street then you would drive over a hodge podge of good and bad road on the way to your house. Like it or not, collectivism has some highly desirable advantages.

People pay and get about as much government as they want, especially at the local level, through who they vote for and sometimes by voting higher taxes upon themselves for more government.
 

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#68
Isn't it our jobs and careers we sell our life force to? I get the government takes its share. We'd like to pretend that if we had the option of investing our own money from age 14 up that we would be regimented enough and fortunate enough to do much better. But I came to the conclusion that even though my return on investment was low, it's much better than I expected and realistically better than my undisciplined self could have done. Don't mess with my damned Social Security along with my work retirement we're fine.
no excuses.... the money could be MANDATORY investments, just like it is now, only we get to actually keep it..... no discipline required.

I'm trying to FIX social security, and give everybody more of their own dang money.... and have some left over to share with your family. If you're already old and about to collect or already collecting, nobody is talking about doing anything to that.... it is the future of unfunded liabilities that must be fixed, AND the impending bankruptcy of social security.

Your social security is about to be "messed with" BECAUSE we have done nothing to fix it. It is bankrupt. You will NOT "be fine", nor will anybody else be, if we continue on this path.

How much money did the government take from you, in your life? If you had that money in an account, would you be drawing more than the poverty level payments that the government is going to give you upon retirement?
 
Nov 6, 2010
991
371
613
#69
no excuses.... the money could be MANDATORY investments, just like it is now, only we get to actually keep it..... no discipline required.

I'm trying to FIX social security, and give everybody more of their own dang money.... and have some left over to share with your family. If you're already old and about to collect or already collecting, nobody is talking about doing anything to that.... it is the future of unfunded liabilities that must be fixed, AND the impending bankruptcy of social security.

Your social security is about to be "messed with" BECAUSE we have done nothing to fix it. It is bankrupt. You will NOT "be fine", nor will anybody else be, if we continue on this path.

How much money did the government take from you, in your life? If you had that money in an account, would you be drawing more than the poverty level payments that the government is going to give you upon retirement?
A mandatory investment sounds a lot like the individual mandate.
 

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#70
So if you privatized government you would probably be paying about the same or more to all the private services giving you police and fire protection as well as maintaining the street in front of your house. That is just for starters. But if some of your neighbors didn't have the money to maintain the street then you would drive over a hodge podge of good and bad road on the way to your house. Like it or not, collectivism has some highly desirable advantages.

People pay and get about as much government as they want, especially at the local level, through who they vote for and sometimes by voting higher taxes upon themselves for more government.
dang it Townie... PUT THE BONG DOWN... NOW !!!!

Nobody said a damned thing about "privatizing government"... that does not even make any sense.

Your brain has completely rotted.

for the TEN THOUSANDTH TIME - the discussion is about FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, not local police services and freaking street lights. My city privatized police service with the County, and we don't have any street lights.

and those are not examples of "collectivism". I so wish you would not post on topics about governance, since you simply cannot comprehend the concept.

col·lec·tiv·ism
noun
  1. the practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.
 

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#71
A mandatory investment sounds a lot like the individual mandate.
I'm not a fan of it... but we already have mandatory investment... except they call it Social Ponzi Security.

I think an individual mandate would be forcing you into a collective for the benefit of all, rather than forcing you into your own private program.... thin line perhaps.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#72
no excuses.... the money could be MANDATORY investments, just like it is now, only we get to actually keep it..... no discipline required.

I'm trying to FIX social security, and give everybody more of their own dang money.... and have some left over to share with your family. If you're already old and about to collect or already collecting, nobody is talking about doing anything to that.... it is the future of unfunded liabilities that must be fixed, AND the impending bankruptcy of social security.

Your social security is about to be "messed with" BECAUSE we have done nothing to fix it. It is bankrupt. You will NOT "be fine", nor will anybody else be, if we continue on this path.

How much money did the government take from you, in your life? If you had that money in an account, would you be drawing more than the poverty level payments that the government is going to give you upon retirement?
From what I've read I'll be dead before it is. I'd suggest anyone wanting to keep it has lots of kids or we fix the emigration problems and get some workers in here paying taxes. Thankfully I never thought I'd see a dime of Social Security so I chose a profession with a pension backed by the state. Even though I've never made that much money or received the respect that should come with such an altruistic position I'm fine with where we are.
 

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
16,364
2,585
1,743
So Cal
#73
From what I've read I'll be dead before it is. I'd suggest anyone wanting to keep it has lots of kids or we fix the emigration problems and get some workers in here paying taxes. Thankfully I never thought I'd see a dime of Social Security so I chose a profession with a pension backed by the state. Even though I've never made that much money or received the respect that should come with such an altruistic position I'm fine with where we are.
but you did not answer my question... how much did you pay, and how much are they going to pay you?

you're "fine with it" because you want to bring in immigrants to pay your way out, while they end up with nothing.... freaking brilliant.

more of the "well, I got mine" attitude - regardless of the fact that you just said that other people need to have kids and grand kids to pay for you.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#75
Our President had some sort of breakdown this morning with his tweets. His screw ups in Europe for the sake of his own real hair, written questions from Mueller, losing House , and his children and inner circle possibly in prosecutors sites seem to be weighing heavily on our dear leader.
 

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
5,627
1,201
743
Left field
#76
but you did not answer my question... how much did you pay, and how much are they going to pay you?

you're "fine with it" because you want to bring in immigrants to pay your way out, while they end up with nothing.... freaking brilliant.

more of the "well, I got mine" attitude - regardless of the fact that you just said that other people need to have kids and grand kids to pay for you.
I haven't added it up and don't have time to for your amusement. I could have waited longer but took mine early for less, but not taking the maximum.
Why would tax payers not get something out of the system if they get in their quarters?
It's like public schools you all hate do much. Others pay for my kids then I pay for theirs. Then they pay for my grand kids and I pay for theirs. Social Security isn't much different just National which I understand you detest.