1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Proud And Immortal

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Cowboy2188, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Cowboy2188

Cowboy2188 Wrangler

Proud and immortal, bright shines your name;

Oklahoma State, we herald your fame!

Ever you’ll find us, loyal and true;

To our Alma Mater, O-S-U!
    I hold these words as near to my heart as any love song or lyric out there. Robert L. McCulloh, Former Director of the Oklahoma State Public Information Office, wrote these words down 55 years ago and to this day there are none more sacred that are heard each day across campus.

Lately our Alma Mater Hymn has been under attack by a growing group of students and colleagues, desecrating the words of this song by cruelly screaming “SOOO TRUUUEEE!” at the end of the third line. Rumor is that they even teach this abomination as official words to the song in Freshman Orientation classes now!

Listen to any recording of the song. There isn’t an extra vocal or instrumental part written to say “SOOO TRUUUEEE!” when the Cowboy Marching Band sings it or plays it. There aren’t extra chimes that mimic “SOOO TRUUUEEE!” when the Edmon Low library chimes play it twenty minutes after each hour. It is an unwritten line that is superfluous and adds zero value to the hymn.

“Alma Mater” is Latin for “nourishing mother”. Oklahoma State is our nourishing mother, growing us, teaching us and preparing us for the future. An Alma Mater Hymn should be a lullaby, just like that of one that is taught to us by our mother. I’ve not once heard a screaming lyric in a lullaby; let’s not let that happen with our Alma Mater Hymn.

If you have any ounce of respect for Oklahoma State University and her traditions, stand with me and support the traditional (and official) lyrics of our Alma Mater Hymn, just as Mr. McCulloh intended.

Go Pokes and God Bless Oklahoma State!

2. OrangeForever

OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way. A/V Subscriber

I agree with you more than I can possibly express, but prepare yourself for the inevitable backlash from those who will, undoubtedly, tell you that it's their "right" to sing the Alma Mater however they want and that we're just too old to "get it".

For the record though, I'm 27 and I think it is appalling.

3. OP 9000

OP 9000 Administrator Staff A/V Subscriber

Agree with both of you.

osumoe74 and colin1497 like this.
  4. Cowboy2188

Cowboy2188 Wrangler

I'm 23 and graduated in May...but I'm also a third-generation Oklahoma State alum and I understand and respect the meaning of "tradition".

pearcemd18, osuwhit and OrangeForever like this.
  5. trippin629

trippin629 Sheriff

When did this start? I've never noticed.

6. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

I laughed a little.
    I don't think it is something you should get so worked up about.
    But to each their own.

If I had to gripe about anything it would be that when we lose at home neither the team or fans stay and sing the Alma mater.

Rack and McKeen the Cowpoke like this.
  7. OrangeForever

I think I first started noticing it 2008-09, but it doesn't seem like it was audible from anywhere but the first few rows of Boone Pickens Stadium or Gallagher-Iba Arena until last year.

8. trippin629

trippin629 Sheriff

Guess I haven't noticed. Just a fad, it'll fade.

9. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Sheriff

Is nothing sacred anymore?

10. Cowboy2188

Cowboy2188 Wrangler

It originated from the male cheerleaders a few years ago...which is despicable to me. They are the people that are supposed to uphold the sanctity of our traditions, yet they feel entitled to CHANGE them.

11. AshlandFlash

AshlandFlash Territorial Marshal

Not even the cow.

12. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW I go "Raj Koothrappali" all the time A/V Subscriber

13. AshlandFlash

AshlandFlash Territorial Marshal

I'm 55, a 1980 grad, and I don't get bothered about what students do. NOW, if all proud ALUMNI of OSU start changing the words, I might get bothered, but I'm not gonna run into their house and tell all them kids to get off my lawn...

Besides, it's made a lot of the alumni pay attention to the words, so it can't be all bad.

Rack likes this.
  14. Orange Collared

Orange Collared Banned Banned

It's nothing to get your panties in a was about. I personally love shouting "So True" from the front of BPS and GIA. It's just another way for students to connect.

15. OrangeForever

The irony, however, is that you're actually disconnecting yourselves.

16. Carneyman14

Carneyman14 Amazing golf ball whacker guy A/V Subscriber

Some people don't get the purpose of the Alma Mater. Its what connects you to the thousands of alumni that have sang the song before you. I'm all for coming up with new traditions, but the ones we have should be left alone.

17. Orange Collared

It's hard to come up with new traditions when Tech has a copyright on all things invented.

18. Krali

Krali Cowboy

:popcorn:

zachya likes this.
  19. mmmCheeeeese....

mmmCheeeeese.... Cowboy

I don't say it, and I never will, during the singing of the Alma Mater, but I've learned that you can't keep people from doing what they want, even if it's against "tradition". I think you have to keep in mind that all traditions were new at some point, and at the time they started they were maybe scorned by some. I think it's the same with bowing like you're on a horse, while Ride 'em Cowboys is playing. I say, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't get worked up over it. Either it'll die out over time, or a new tradition will be born.

Edit: And I'm a recent grad; 2010.

OrangeBosco likes this.
  20. Orange Collared

It's not going away. And the more people tell the students to not say it, the more it will get said.

Like I said, I think it's cool and fun to do, and in no way is it disrespecting OSU.