1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rush Limbaugh is a blowhard

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by TalkingHead, Mar 2, 2012.

1. osupride97

osupride97 Ambassador of Quan A/V Subscriber

You are too busy tweeting, traveling the US, and dreaming up new material. :laugh:

2. PistolPete'sMustache

PistolPete'sMustache Sheriff A/V Subscriber

What I don't get is why the advertisers are all of a sudden shocked that Rush said something mean and controversial. Isn't that what his show is all about? That would be like sponsoring a bull fight and then pulling your advertising out of shock by animal rights activists when the bull is stabbed repeatedly and dies. Don't you already know what to expect when you sponsor Rush Limbaugh?

NYC Poke, SiggyPoke and zachya like this.
  3. Ball

Ball Deputy

They knew. And sadly this is nothing but posturing. They'll be back in a few months to keep on advertising. This has happened to Limbaugh before and it will happen again.

4. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Federal Marshal

Yahoo reporting over 24 companies have pulled their ads including
    AOL, Tax Reform, ProFlowers, Quicken Loans, Sleep Number, The Sleep Train, Citrix, LegalZoom, Carbonite, Netflix, Capitol One, and John Deer

KPUA Hawaiian radio station dropped his show all together

5. Roman Craig

Roman Craig Race Ya Home! A/V Subscriber

The health department is right down the street ma'am.

RxCowboy and zachya like this.
  6. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

I agree, Rush is too liberal.

7. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal

Reminds me of the morons that hired Roseanne Barr to do the national anthem then acted surprised when she made a joke of it.

bleedinorange and RxCowboy like this.
  8. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

Of course they'll be back. Advertisers are out to sell products. The size of his radio audience is irresistible.
    You can get generic oral contraceptives for $10 or less at any pharmacy. Any pharmacy. Her $3k was totally bogus, even adding in the cost of condoms.

Roman Craig likes this.
  9. Roman Craig

Exactly. Or free at the health department.

10. RxCowboy

When I first went to work for UGA my office was at Albany State University - we leased space from them. I was down the hall from the student health clinic. They kept a large salad bowl on the counter in the SHC filled with condoms (like a bowl filled with Halloween candy). Anyone could walk up and grab a handful for free.

11. Roman Craig

I know what you mean. Stephanopolous should not be allowed anywhere near a newsroom. This whole thing just shows we don't have news. We have propaganda.

12. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

And right there my friends is part of the issue with health care costs in this country.

The $360 she can pay on her own for her lifestyle choices or the $3,000 dollars she wants us to pay for her life style choices.

13. RxCowboy

The biggest problem is we have politicians who use the term "costs" when they mean "prices" or "premiums". We can't fix anything when we don't know what we're talking about. "Costs" are the resources required to produce goods and services. "Prices" are what's paid for goods and services, and "premiums" are what is paid to insurance companies who then pay the "prices" charged for goods and services. The government is entirely about price/premium fixing, setting price/premium ceilings, and nothing is done about actual costs. When you fix price ceilings without doing anything about the ever increasing costs you create shortages. This is economics 101.

We know more about Ms. Fluke now. The reason she chose Georgetown was because it is a Catholic institution that doesn't provide birth control and she is an activist who wants to force Georgetown to provide contraception. So, really, what she wants the government to fund is her activism.

From The Daily Caller:
    Meet law student and feminist hero Sandra Fluke
    6:24 PM 03/03/2012

The country knows Sandra Fluke as the beleaguered third-year Georgetown University Law Center student who has been criticized by conservatives — notably radio giant Rush Limbaugh — for her recent testimony about co-eds’ contraceptive needs before Congressional Democrats.

But the 30-year-old student who stirred the debate is no novice in the political arena. Fluke has a long history of feminist advocacy: The Washington Post reported Fluke entered Georgetown Law well aware that the school’s insurance plan did not cover contraception, only to spend the next three years lobbying the school to change its policy.

Fluke attended Cornell University from 1999-2003, where she received a B.S. in Policy Analysis & Management and Feminist, Gender, & Sexuality Studies.

While at Cornell, Fluke’s organized activities centered on the far-left feminist and gender equity movements. Fluke participated in rallies supporting abortion, protests against war in Iraq and efforts to recruit other womens’ rights activists to campus.

During that period, she gained experience engaging in disputes concerning abortion with religious organizations.

“We feel that the information [Cornell Coalition for Life] has out is reactionary, and it’s not based on giving people information about their choices, but manipulating their emotions,” Fluke, then the treasurer of Students Acting for Gender Equality (SAGE), told The Cornell Daily Sun during a protest of a pro-life display at the school’s Ho Plaza. “We want to show people they should have a choice about a decision this important and whatever choice they make, we’ll support it,” she said.

After college, Fluke soon settled in at Sanctuary for Families in New York City, a nonprofit organization devoted to domestic violence victims. Fluke stayed there until she began law school in 2009.

“Sandra Fluke’s professional background in domestic violence and human trafficking began with Sanctuary for Families in New York City. There, she launched the agency’s pilot Program Evaluation Initiative,” her Public Interest Law Scholars (PILS) profile explains. “While at Sanctuary, she co-founded the New York Statewide Coalition for Fair Access to Family Court, which after a twenty-year stalemate, successfully advocated for legislation granting access to civil orders of protection for unmarried victims of domestic violence, including LGBTQ victims and teens. Sandra was also a member of the Manhattan Borough President’s Taskforce on Domestic Violence and numerous other New York City and New York State coalitions that successfully advocated for policy improvements impacting victims of domestic violence.”

During her time as a law student, Fluke has engaged in a variety of internships and activities focused largely on women’s rights. She has served as the development editor for the “Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law,” co-president of Law Students for Reproductive Justice and vice president of the Georgetown Law Women’s Legal Alliance.

Fluke has been using her new national platform to speak out on television, radio and social media on behalf of women who want readily available, free contraception.

“No woman deserves to be disrespected in this manner. This language is an attack on all women, and has been used throughout history to silence our voices,” Fluke posted on Tumblr Thursday in reaction to criticism. “The millions of American women who have and will continue to speak out in support of women’s health care and access to contraception prove that we will not be silenced.”

The victimized co-ed even received a phone call from President Barack Obama in the wake of the onslaught.

“He encouraged me and supported me and thanked me for speaking out about the concerns of American women,” Fluke told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell on Friday. “What was really personal for me was that he said to tell my parents that they should be proud. And that meant a lot because Rush Limbaugh questioned whether or not my family would be proud of me. So I just appreciated that very much.”

Limbaugh apologized Saturday afternoon for his criticisms of Fluke.

Fluke is currently a legal intern at the Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Trafficking. She is scheduled to graduate from Georgetown this year.

Fluke did not respond to The Daily Caller’s requests for comment.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/03/m...aception-advocate-sandra-fluke/#ixzz1oRtyY7Z5

zachya likes this.
  14. Cimarron

So the flock was being led?

15. RxCowboy

Powers Struggle
    The cultural contradictions of feminism.
    By JAMES TARANTO

Kirsten Powers isn't ideologically sympathetic to Rush Limbaugh and doesn't approve of the uncouth things he said last week about liberal icon-of-the-moment Sandra Fluke. But over the weekend Powers performed a public service by publishing a column at the Daily Beast noting that the left's outrage over Limbaugh's comments is highly selective. It's worth quoting at length:
    What about the army of swine on the left?​

During the 2008 election Ed Schultz said on his radio show that Sarah Palin set off a "bimbo alert." He called Laura Ingraham a "right-wing slut." (He later apologized.) He once even took to his blog to call yours truly a "bimbo" for the offense of quoting him accurately in a New York Post column.​

Keith Olbermann has said that conservative commentator S.E. Cupp should have been aborted by her parents, apparently because he finds her having opinions offensive. He called Michelle Malkin a "mashed-up bag of meat with lipstick." He found it newsworthy to discuss Carrie Prejean's breasts on his MSNBC show. His solution for dealing with Hillary Clinton, who he thought should drop out of the presidential race, was to find "somebody who can take her into a room and only he comes out." . . .​

Chris Matthews's sickening misogyny was made famous in 2008, when he obsessively tore down Hillary Clinton for standing between Barack Obama and the presidency. . . . Matthews has wondered aloud whether Sarah Palin is even "capable of thinking" and has called [Michele] Bachmann a "balloon head" and said she was "lucky we still don't have literacy tests out there."​

She has other examples, including "the grand pooh-bah of media misogyny," HBO's Bill Maher--who apparently is feeling exposed right now. The Daily Caller notes that having joined the Limbaugh pile-on, Maher tweeted yesterday: "Hate to defend #RushLimbaugh but he apologized, liberals looking bad not accepting. Also hate intimidation by sponsor pullout."

But Schultz, Olbermann and Matthews are especially worthy of note because at the time of their offending comments they all worked for NBC (Schultz and Matthews still do). We haven't heard anyone demand that respectable NBC personalities like Tom Brokaw, Andrea Mitchell and Brian Williams denounce their colleagues' indecent, misogynistic rants. Yet the left has been hectoring Republican politicians to repudiate Limbaugh, even though he has no formal connection to them or the party: "The GOP Can No Longer Avoid Its Rush Limbaugh Problem," the Washington Post editorialized last week.

The explanation for the double standard is obvious: The attack on Limbaugh is not primarily about establishing or enforcing standards of decency and respect for women. Rather, it is an any-weapon-at-hand assault by a liberal elite desperately trying to maintain its grip on cultural power. "It matters more to society what a person with a big following says than what a person with a small following says," Timothy Noah of The New Republic acknowledges. The problem with Limbaugh isn't that he's occasionally coarse, it's that he has a big following.

The Post's demand for Republicans to denounce Limbaugh is an echo of the New York Times's infamous editorial after last year's Tucson massacre, in which the paper scurrilously asserted that "it is legitimate to hold Republicans and particularly their most virulent supporters in the media responsible for the gale of anger" that, in truth, had nothing to do with the crime at hand. The Post, it must be acknowledged, had a factual basis for its denunciation of Limbaugh--although it hardly speaks well of elite liberal journalism that that must be acknowledged rather than taken for granted.

Powers's column got us thinking about a broader theme, namely the cultural contradictions of feminism. There is, to say the least, a tension between the feminist ideal of equality between the sexes and special pleading on behalf of feminine sensibilities.

A Facebook friend of ours, a middle-aged female professional, posted a series of sanctimonious status updates denouncing Limbaugh and his defenders--a few days after she posted one approving of the Rick Santorum "Google bomb." The latter, which originated in 2003 with a gay left-wing columnist, is an obscene scatological insult that "wouldn't normally appear in a family newspaper," as our colleagues Ian Sherr and Geoffrey Fowler discreetly put it. It has been cited with a wink and a nod by, among others, former Enron adviser Paul Krugman of the New York Times.

One could argue that it's worse to insult Fluke than Santorum because it is punching down: Although she has made herself a public figure, she has considerably lower status than a U.S. senator. But several of the women Powers mentions as having been targets of left-wing "misogyny"--Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann--are of roughly equal status to Santorum. If women and men are equal, and if ugly sexual insults are acceptable when directed at a male politician (Powers, let us note, does not say they are but ignores the question altogether), then isn't that just sauce for the goose?

When you think about it that way, 21st-century feminism starts to look uncannily like the old Victorian double standard. And even more so when you consider the behavior of feminist men, who sound like caricatures of white knights dashing in to defend damsels in distress. "The Mitt and Rick rebukes to Rush were timidly tepid," the lefty film critic Roger Ebert blustered in a tweet the other day. "Now that Rush has apologized, maybe they can man up."

ABC News notes that yesterday President Obama "said that thinking about his own two daughters compelled him" to call Fluke last week "to offer his personal support." Some are cynical about Obama's motives, including NBC's Savannah Guthrie, who, as NewsBusters.org notes, describes Obama's call to Fluke as "an overreach" that "seemed a little nakedly political." If you take it at face value, though, the gesture was chivalrous--or, to put it another way, it was patronizing.

16. kaje

kaje Let's Go Heat! A/V Subscriber

Do we know if she's a slut or not, though? She is pretty cute...

17. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Territorial Marshal

Well, what about the guys? A lot of women require the guy to be cute before they're willing to have sexual intercourse. In other words, should cute guys be thought of as slutty?

18. RxCowboy

RFK Jr. channels Limbaugh, calls GOP senator ‘prostitute’
    By Adam Jablonowski - The Daily Caller 6:26 PM 03/07/2012

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an environmental crusader who got his start in the movement performing community service after a heroin conviction, thrust himself into a the evolving story about Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke on Tuesday, calling Republican Sen. James Inhofe a “prostitute” and a “call girl.”

Days after Limbaugh’s on-air apology for his own transgression, the New York-based green activist and son of the late Sen. Bobby Kennedy upped the ante on Twitter.

“Speaking of prostitutes, big oil’s top call girl Sen Inhofe wants to kill fuel economy backed by automakers, small biz, enviros, & consumers,” he tweeted.

Kennedy’s comments came in response to a letter from the Oklahoma Republican to the EPA that questioned the Obama administration’s fuel and air pollution policies.

“Kennedy’s tweet crosses the line,” Inhofe spokesman Matt Dempsey said. “Especially in the wake of Limbaugh’s apology to a Georgetown University student after calling her a ‘prostitute’ during an on-air broadcast.”

Kennedy defended his comment later on Tuesday. “The context with which Mr. Limbaugh used it [the word '[prostitute] was wrong and immoral,” he told Politico. “But it’s not immoral in using it to apply to a politician who is selling his office.”

Political pundit Keith Olbermann defended Kenndy’s tweet on Wednesday with one of his own that read: “This just in: Sen. Inhofe is a male. And big oil DOES own him.”

Olbermann targeted Sen. Inhofe in 2010 on his “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” show, which MSNBC later canceled. The liberal broadcaster has found a home on Current TV, whose chairman is the ultra-green warrior and former senator Al Gore.

Kennedy upped the ante again Wednesday, pointing out in another tweet that “Sen Inhofe calls global warming ‘the largest hoax ever played on the American public’ & environmentalists ‘the gestapo’ & the ‘Third Reich.’”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/07/r...h-calls-gop-senator-prostitute/#ixzz1oYcPnFaJ

19. Cimarron

Yep, looks like a Yugo to me....

At least he is car pooling!

[​IMG]

But of course for the liberal left it is all fair to demean women and children and they fall all over each other defending it.

20. CocoCincinnati

CocoCincinnati Territorial Marshal

That looks more like being chaufeurred than carpooling to me. ;)

MSteph57 likes this.