Salaries

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I just read an article on ESPN about college coaches who have not had their salaries reduced due to COVID loses in athletic budgets. Some of the salaries made me about fall out of my chair. Dabo Sweeny makes $9.8 million per year, and his salary has not been reduced but other staff and assistants at Clemson have. Calipari at Kentucky makes $8.2 million and he is in the same boat as Sweeny. Makes Gundy's $5.4 million, now $4.4 million seem like a bargain.

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
I just read an article on ESPN about college coaches who have not had their salaries reduced due to COVID loses in athletic budgets. Some of the salaries made me about fall out of my chair. Dabo Sweeny makes $9.8 million per year, and his salary has not been reduced but other staff and assistants at Clemson have. Calipari at Kentucky makes $8.2 million and he is in the same boat as Sweeny. Makes Gundy's $5.4 million, now $4.4 million seem like a bargain.
Not really sure how the first 4 sentences leads you to derive your 5th, but it will be interesting to see how Power 5 budgets/salaries are impacted going forward.

Jul 11, 2007
Meh. Dabo made $800,000 his first year at Clemson (2009). If HCMG had a couple a nattys and made every playoff since 2014, I sure hope he would be paid a figure approaching that.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Meh. Dabo made $800,000 his first year at Clemson (2009). If HCMG had a couple a nattys and made every playoff since 2014, I sure hope he would be paid a figure approaching that.
I don't think his salary under normal years is entirely the point. He had a massive salary and everyone else got cut. More cuts are coming. Maybe I'm just too far removed from making that kind of salary, but it seems like a lot of these guys could easily live without most of their salary, and maybe even all of it for a year. I get that if they're smart they've been investing it and their wealth is likely not super liquid, but can someone really say with a straight face that Dabo shouldn't be able to still make a nice life in Clemson SC on $2 mil for the next year? Dabo alone makes up almost 10% of their budget.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Half joking here. It's just an interesting anecdote. Find another country where the highest paid government employee is a sports coach.
Oh it's crazy, no doubt, but they do bring a lot of attention and revenue if they do their job well.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Half joking here. It's just an interesting anecdote. Find another country where the highest paid government employee is a sports coach.
find another country that has college athletics like the US. find another country that has college athletics, capitalistic system and the highest standard of living in the world. just trying to narrow it down for ya.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Welp! That got political quickly! My points were: 1.damn Dabo makes alot, 2.)damn Dabo's assistants and office personnel getting cuts, but not him and 3. I thought Gundy was near the top in salary, turns out he is in the middle of the pack of the Power 5. The coach in Norman makes $2 million more as an example.

Aug 7, 2006
Welp! That got political quickly! My points were: 1.damn Dabo makes alot, 2.)damn Dabo's assistants and office personnel getting cuts, but not him and 3. I thought Gundy was near the top in salary, turns out he is in the middle of the pack of the Power 5. The coach in Norman makes $2 million more as an example.
Gundy was the 13th highest paid coach in the country in 2019...

Jeff Brohm making $6.6 million a year at Purdue based on one game(upsetting Ohio State in 2018) is pretty funny though

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
Makes 2 million more, wins big 12 every year and makes the playoffs. We go to the Houston Bowl.