Soft and plump Big 12 defenses

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 4, 2016
florida
I watch this SEC Shorts Youtube channel every week. The latest features ou and the Big 12. After our conference's stellar bowl performances, the truth hurts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c567b2gUn8
Gooner and Midnight Toker having a heart to heart with SoonerCowboyBedlam about the reality of life in the CFP

Apr 13, 2007
I am an SEC fan, have been since I was about 10. Used to listen to Florida games on the radio in the 50s and 60s.

I still pull for OSU except when or if they play Florida or Auburn. Now OU, I always am for whoever they play except Penn State or Notre Dame.

I do sort of get irritated when I keep hearing that the SEC is over rated.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Can it not be true that the SEC is both the best conference AND overrated? Because both are true. Big XII defenses were good this year but LSU is an offensive buzz saw.

LSU’s defense is giving up more points this year and nobody is talking about it because, SEC. While their defense is probably pretty good it is suffering from the same struggle of defending a ton of possessions that Big XII defenses have fought for years. When your offense is that good and scores that quick, the other team has more opportunities to score. LSU gave up 21.6 ppg and Baylor gave up 19.8 ppg against better offenses. But Baylor can’t play defense.

99% of college football analysts don’t even watch the games and just go on years old narratives, it’s a joke! Especially Jim Mora Jr. Worst of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Can it not be true that the SEC is both the best conference AND overrated? Because both are true. Big XII defenses were good this year but LSU is an offensive buzz saw.

LSU’s defense is giving up more points this year and nobody is talking about it because, SEC. While their defense is probably pretty good it is suffering from the same struggle of defending a ton of possessions that Big XII defenses have fought for years. When your offense is that good and scores that quick, the other team has more opportunities to score. LSU gave up 21.6 ppg and Baylor gave up 19.8 ppg against better offenses. But Baylor can’t play defense.

99% of college football analysts don’t even watch the games and just go on years old narratives, it’s a joke! Especially Jim Mora Jr. Worst of the bunch.

Also, I saw where Joe Burrow's season would rank 12th all-time among Big 12 QBS in Big 12 history, but people make it sound like he had some amazing season that will never be duplicated again. Defenses around the Big 12 improved (statistically) in 2019. So the question is, is it because of fewer quality QBs/plus fewer snaps per game or is it that defenses are figuring out how to defend Big 12 offenses better, or maybe a little of both. I don't think if ou played LSU 10 times that they would get blown out like that. On the other hand, the Big 12 did have an abysmal bowl season.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Also, I saw where Joe Burrow's season would rank 12th all-time among Big 12 QBS in Big 12 history, but people make it sound like he had some amazing season that will never be duplicated again. Defenses around the Big 12 improved (statistically) in 2019. So the question is, is it because of fewer quality QBs/plus fewer snaps per game or is it that defenses are figuring out how to defend Big 12 offenses better, or maybe a little of both. I don't think if ou played LSU 10 times that they would get blown out like that. On the other hand, the Big 12 did have an abysmal bowl season.
Lets face it. When an SEC team scores a lot, it is because they have SEC speed. When the game is 9-6 it is because no one plays defense like the SEC. I think the Big 12 defenses are getting better at defending the offense, which is the typical evolution of football.

As for Burrow. It is like a competition between the different media personalities to one-up the last great thing said about Burrow. I think LSU's Defense plays a role in making Burrow look good. Short fields do that.

The Big 12 teams were underdogs in all but 1 bowl game and sometimes they were pretty pretty significant underdogs. Big 12 doesn't get to play the match-up game like some other conferences. Plus other than Baylor and OU, the Big12 was pretty soft.

Apr 7, 2006
2 things that seem somewhat contradictory:
1) I think the SEC is the best conference by leaps and also overrated. When the SEC scores 50 it's good offense and when they score 9 it's good defense. Same scenario in the Big XII roles are reversed. National championships, draft results and all American proves it's the best conference without a doubt still.

2) Big XII defenses improved but aren't good. The defenses improved less as a result of talent or schemes and more as a result of offensive dropoff. No Mahomes, Mayfield, Rudolph, Murray, Weeden, etc type passers in the league and the only first tier talent at the position was Hurts. OSU, for example, gave up less points on defense (and every other scoring metric) but also huddled on offense and relied on rushing more due to offensive issues/inexperience. I think they improved, but I think that was inflated by their opponents and their own changes offensively.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Please. I’d love to hear your take on reality of life in the CFP and how your boys would fare in one. I’m all ears.

OSU ,rightly so, doesn't belong in the CFP for obvious reasons but ou can't compete at that level as this has been obvious for years. The saying is that each year everyone starts on an even playing field for the opportunity to challenge for a CFP title but sooner or later doubt will begin to start creeping into the heads of the selection committee to ask themselves, " Do we really want to give Oklahoma ANOTHER chance to embarrass themselves?"

UO had better go undefeated next year to even be considered.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Please. I’d love to hear your take on reality of life in the CFP and how your boys would fare in one. I’m all ears.

OSU ,rightly so, doesn't belong in the CFP for obvious reasons but ou can't compete at that level as this has been obvious for years. The saying is that each year everyone starts on an even playing field for the opportunity to challenge for a CFP title but sooner or later doubt will begin to start creeping into the heads of the selection committee to ask themselves, " Do we really want to give Oklahoma ANOTHER chance to embarrass themselves?"

UO had better go undefeated next year to even be considered.
Who can compete at that level?

It’s super rare in the attrition which is the norm to have teams who are CONTINUALLY in the conversation to contend for a title. Depth is hard to build. You need sustained success in recruiting and philosophy and top notch coordinators to put it all together.

Is OU a contender? Yup. You don’t go to the dance four out of five years without being one. And they state their case every single year.

Do they have holes? Yup. Depth in the defense was glaring. Depth was paper thin in the secondary all year long. Against an elite offense like LSU, that was exploited. Burrow hit where the weak spots were. Evidence of that is Jamarr Chase. His Biletnikoff winner was absolutely shutdown by Parnell Motley. His Joe Moore award winning offensive line wore the front seven out. We could barely touch him. The amount of freshmen and sophomores playing and starting in the defense is huge.

Replacing four offensive line starters was rough. There was zero continuity on the line most of the year and it’s the first year I can remember that OU didn’t have a dominant left tackle. There’s a wealth of talent that redshirted this year and a giant stable for Bedenbaugh to bring up. But all in all, OU were still finalists for the Joe Moore themselves.

Finally, the offense. Despite massive production from Jalen Hurts, OU’s offense actually took a step back this year. It was more predictable at times. But not built for a shootout against LSU. Hurts couldn’t quite run the passing game at an elite level like Riley’s used to seeing. That’ll change with Rattler who’s a ridiculously gifted passer.

All in all, it’s rare to see a program sustain success enough to compete. You have to have the elites. Which is why Bama and Clemson are in it every year. Oklahoma having to overhaul the entire defense put them at a disadvantage the last five years. But no doubt they’ll be in contention again this year. And in no way, shape, or form will the past be used in determining a team’s worthiness from a current season. Nor should it. No team in college football is the same every year. Look at LSU.