1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Southern and SW Kansas

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by SGT Steck, Aug 23, 2011.

1. SGT Steck

A/V Subscriber SGT Steck Whitetail Slayer

Can any of my Poke brothers or sisters help me out with this. I have a Kansas deer tag but nowhere to hunt. I was wanting to know if anyone had access to any landowners I could contact for permission to hunt. I am planning on taking off Sept 21 to go up there and do some early season muzzleloader hunting.

The only other option I have is hunting the Walk-in hunting areas. There is alot around Ashland KS. If anyone has any info on this area or can be any help at all let me know. I also discovered that there is no hotels in the area I want to hunt so I also need a place to set up a tent. All this in the name of hunting KS.

Thanx.
  2. ryerye

ryerye Wrangler

Sorry for not PMing you back Steck, I have hunted around Ashland for 9 yrs now. There is the Wallingford Inn in Ashland to stay in or the Red Hills (roach motel) or you can stay at the Timberwolf in Coldwater. The main piece of walkin is up north of town in the canyon country and its pretty tough. No real food sources but the best was to hunt it is sit up on the canyon rims with your spotting scope and try to watch some bed up and make a move. I use to have a lease about 5 miles northwest of there but had food available for the deer. Good luck man
  3. SGT Steck

Thanx for the tips, are you gonna be around during muzzleloader? I would like to get together and have a beer and talk hunting.
  4. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

Monster bucks can be found here.
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-3/Pratt-Sandhills
    I used to run 5,760 ares of irrigated land on the east side of this. I have seen some of the biggest deer here that I have ever seen. Pratt will have more lodging opitons as well.
  5. SGT Steck

Hey thanx for the advice, I might deffinately have to look into hunting there. Do you know if alot of people hunt there during the early muzzleloader season? Are you still in that area? Let me know. Thanx
  6. SGT Steck

It is sad that I am so obsessed with this, but I have went along time without killing a descent whitetail. And since I have a 2 month at home this might be my only time this year to do some serious hunting.
  7. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

Yes I am still up here. I haven't seen that much traffic at all that early in the season. It picks up a little in rifle season, but it dosen't look like it has been hunted all that heavy. I haven't seen more than 2 vehicles out there at a time, and I used to drive by there at least twice a day. It's almost 6000 acres so it will take a lot more people to make it very crowded. I still swing by there and try a couple hot spots during pheasant season.

I saw deer everywhere out there.
  8. SGT Steck

If I get up there can you take a couple of hours for us to drive around and kinda give me some advice on some places to try? I would be glad to bring you some beer or deer jerky for your time. Any help I can get would be awesome.
  9. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

Sure. :)
  10. SGT Steck

Cool I will PM ya with details, looking at coming up around Sept 21.
  11. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

Also just 3 miles south of the sand hills area is the Texas Lake Wildlife Managment area. It is managed more for waterfoul, but I ran a couple quarters that butted up to it, and there were a lot of deer out there as well.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-3/Texas-Lake/Brochures

There are plenty of options.
  12. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

You can get a free booklet from Kansas wildlife and parks that has tons of land that is called WIHA (walk in hunting areas) From what I remember, if the land is surrounded by red t-posts, then it is a place that has been donated to the wildlife department for hunting. It is however, private land. You may already know this. Tom
  13. SGT Steck

Thanx, I ordered the WIHA atlas but they may not have them printed on time before muzzleloader season starts.
  14. Geedub

Geedub Greenhorn

Hey, guys...new member here. I just drew KS units 18 and 16 muzzleloader and was happy to see some discussion of public land in that part of KS on here. SGT, how did your 2011 ML hunt turn out? And OC, how has the rain been this year? The few times I've hunted Unit 16 ML, it was a wet summer, and the deer weren't spending too much of the day in crops. But I'm hearing it's dry up there this year.
  15. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Cowboy

It looked like we were going to have a wet spring but then the rain shut off in early May. I had 1.25 inches 2 weeks ago and another 0.9 last night but we still are on the dry side of things.