1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Southern Baptists

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by docjoctoo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

I'm not only referring to religious groups.
  2. 88KeysPoke

88KeysPoke Cowboy

While there are KJV-only people who believe the KJV was inspired, that is probably not even the majority of those who a KJV-only position. There several variants of KJV-only, and I would probably be considered on the more liberal end of it. I definitely don't hold to "Ruckmanism" as what you described is commonly called. Most of my reasoning for KJV-only is textually-based.

My point is, there are plenty of KJV-only people who have legitimate reasoning for it rather than the crazy beliefs of the more vocal ones.
  3. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

The Constitution is only intended to prohibit the Govt from stopping a religion from being established and prohibiting any religions free exercise in the country

In no way does the Constitution say the Church and State should be seperate
  4. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

Can you explain what you mean textually-based?
  5. Cimarron

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
  6. 88KeysPoke

88KeysPoke Cowboy

That's a pretty involved answer that is hard to communicate on an internet forum. (I've tried...) Since we're family, we can discuss it sometime if you want. :)
  7. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

LOL, I know we've had these discussions before, but I think it has been since middle school. :)
  8. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

That never says they should be seperate. What am I missing here?

The Constitution says that the Govt can not
    stop a church from forming
    Practice freely
    Stop their speech, press or assembly
    or file a complaint to the Govt or seek assistance from the Govt without fear of punishment or reprisals
  9. 88KeysPoke

88KeysPoke Cowboy

lol well, my views have evolved a lot since then. I was just a dumb kid then. Now, my beliefs have been refined, and I know why I believe what I believe. :)
  10. Cimarron

You didn't miss anything. Well, except why I posted what I did :)
  11. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

HAHAHA...I see what you did now. I suxors at comprehension and using my Jump to Conclusions mat
  12. RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.

Someone set us up the bomb. I do you not.
  13. RxCowboy

Thus my use of the word "some". I use multiple versions in my personal study including the KJV. Some day I would like to learn biblical Greek and Hebrew so that I could study the older monographs directly.
  14. HanesOnU

HanesOnU Deputy

You may have matured, but I won't claim to have done the same. ;)
  15. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

The main reason is because the Government explicitly promised to do so, while most religions have not (depending on the religion and interpretation, Give unto Ceaser and whatnot).

How do you propose to bring the Church into the State without establishing a Church via the State?

As for my opinion on Southern Baptists. I'm not a big fan of the organization, but I'm not a big fan of the American Evangelical Protestant movement as a whole. I feel like it throws out a lot of important biblical context, but I am not particularly educated in Apologetics, so I wouldn't make a great argument out of it.
  16. RxCowboy

Promised? You've got to be kidding. Promised? Government promises aren't worth spit. The government is bound by the Constitution.

What?

Who has proposed that?

So you judge them based on something you know little about. Isn't that pretty much the definition of prejudice?
  17. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

I have reasons, I am not just highly versed in my argumentation. I don't believe that a literal translation of the Bible is sensible, and I don't think that any religion that excludes Catholics as being saved is particularly reasonable either. In general, I don't buy into the exclusivity of salvation.
  18. RxCowboy

Good lord, hokey, law is NOT a promise. That is like a five year old's view of the Constitution.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    rideemcowboys likes this.
  19. Hokey_Pokey

Hokey_Pokey Cowboy

Maybe with a 5 year old's view of a promise. I don't know of a better word to describe what the Constitution effectively is for our government, or at least the Bill of Rights. Maybe an agreement, you could call it a code, except that doesn't work as a verb.It is a promise with very serious implications if it is broken, but because the Constitution provides for no course of action if it breaks its word (The entire government, all the branches), we can only take it as a promise. (suggestions for what to do if the promise is broken can be found in the Declaration of Independence)
  20. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

The word constitution is actually defined as

The fundamental law, written or unwritten, that establishes the character of a government by defining the basic principles to which a society must conform, by describing the organization of the government and regulation, distribution and limitations on the functions of different government departmens and by prescribing the extent and manner of the exercise of its sovereign powers

Constitutions are not an American invention. They were invented by the ancient Greeks who had over 150 constiutions that created the frame work of their Government and laws on which their society was built.

They were widely used in Europe for centuries and the US Constitution was actually based on the Greek models