Streaming TV

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Just curious to see where others are at as far as streaming TV. I know this has come up a couple times in the past but I didn't want to revive any year+ old threads.

As for myself, I kept with DirecTV Now through the ATT TV Now switch (with my "grandfathered" launch package). Since launch, I saw my package go up from $35 to $40 to $50. Lucky for me, YouTube TV finally hit Fire TV devices just before it was announced that ATT is raising prices again which would take me to $65. I used the 5-day trial of YTTV and HOLY CRAP. I felt like an idiot for staying with ATT for so long. The ATT app is absolute GARBAGE compared to the YTTV app. Yeah, I'm losing some channels but overall I feel like it's completely worth it. There's just too many things in the "pros" column for YTTV compared to ATT to justify staying any longer. Officially cancelled my ATT and I'm not even tempted to look back.

Also, glad that I didn't buy in to PS Vue back when this all started because they've announced they're killing that service in Jan. 2020. Sony is losing money with it and can't find anyone to buy it off them.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I have been using YouTube TV for about 8 months. I really have no complaints. Unlimited DVR (even if a bit tricky for some networks) plus the ability to watch from anywhere have been really nice. The price of that along with an into rate for Spectrum internet have me paying approximately $100 a month. Which is less than half of what I was paying the the equivalent with Frontier.

The cool thing is that I’m no longer tied to an internet provider for my other services and can easily switch at anytime. I may even switch back to Frontier for their intro rate once my time is up with Spectrum.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I have been using YouTube TV for about 8 months. I really have no complaints. Unlimited DVR (even if a bit tricky for some networks) plus the ability to watch from anywhere have been really nice. The price of that along with an into rate for Spectrum internet have me paying approximately $100 a month. Which is less than half of what I was paying the the equivalent with Frontier.

The cool thing is that I’m no longer tied to an internet provider for my other services and can easily switch at anytime. I may even switch back to Frontier for their intro rate once my time is up with Spectrum.
I'm REALLY happy with my decision to switch. I've mostly been holding out waiting for Amazon and Google to get over themselves and allow each others apps on their devices. I have all FireTV's at home, so YTTV hasn't been an option (I know there was a work around though) until the last month or so.

Also, my work doesn't have it blocked either so I've got something to watch beside Prime Video during lunch. lol

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
See, that's the thing, for me it would Fox Sports Ohio, which I don't care about. How do you get the out-of-market regional Fox Sports channels?
Ah. Gotcha. Hmm... That's a good question... Just quickly searching, it looks like all the streaming services are going to use your "home zip code" for setting your regional channels. I'm not sure if there's a way you can trick it into thinking you're another location. Fubo has a package with "Fox College Sports" channels but I'm not really sure what those are...

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
See, that's the thing, for me it would Fox Sports Ohio, which I don't care about. How do you get the out-of-market regional Fox Sports channels?
I personally use a relative’s TV provider login with the FoxSports app. I know that isn’t a real solution to most people, but on the rare occasion that what I want to watch is only available in Oklahoma, I do what I have to do.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Ah. Gotcha. Hmm... That's a good question... Just quickly searching, it looks like all the streaming services are going to use your "home zip code" for setting your regional channels. I'm not sure if there's a way you can trick it into thinking you're another location. Fubo has a package with "Fox College Sports" channels but I'm not really sure what those are...
I personally use a relative’s TV provider login with the FoxSports app. I know that isn’t a real solution to most people, but on the rare occasion that what I want to watch is only available in Oklahoma, I do what I have to do.
Right now I have DirecTV with only the minimum package, and an add-on that gives me all the regional Fox Sports networks. I'd like to get rid of the DirecTV.

Mar 6, 2019
Broken Arrow
I have HULU Live, and get every sports channel. ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC. I even get local channels, except for channel 8 in Tulsa, but for local I use rabbit ears since they all broadcast in HD. Haven't missed any OSU football or basketball games, and only pay around $45 a month. I have no idea how the cable companies are going to stay in business without launching their own cheap streaming services.
P.S. First post....yay

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I have HULU Live, and get every sports channel. ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC. I even get local channels, except for channel 8 in Tulsa, but for local I use rabbit ears since they all broadcast in HD. Haven't missed any OSU football or basketball games, and only pay around $45 a month. I have no idea how the cable companies are going to stay in business without launching their own cheap streaming services.
P.S. First post....yay
Cable companies have internet to fall back on, so just expect those prices to go up. Satellite companies are who I'm curious about how they're going to stay afloat without already being tied to an internet provider or merging with one.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I just cancelled DirecTV. YoutubeTV is pretty freaking amazing. I like the DVR thingie.
I've been trying to get my parents off DirecTV bc they have the super bare boned package that doesn't even have ESPN and they just keep renewing... My dad is retired and just watches A&E though (more like a constant stream of LivePD...) so I guess it works for them but dang.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I've been trying to get my parents off DirecTV bc they have the super bare boned package that doesn't even have ESPN and they just keep renewing... My dad is retired and just watches A&E though (more like a constant stream of LivePD...) so I guess it works for them but dang.
Still not sure how to get the SW regional Fox Sports channels. I'll figure it out when I have to.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
does Anyone know of a way to do DVR for streaming packages like ESPN plus and Disney streaming that is about to launch? Right now just watch them through the Xbox one but would love to have a device I could also DVR with for them.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
twitter.com
does Anyone know of a way to do DVR for streaming packages like ESPN plus and Disney streaming that is about to launch? Right now just watch them through the Xbox one but would love to have a device I could also DVR with for them.
I've found that most of the apps keep programming on demand free of charge after the original air date.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Hulu and YoutubeTV both offer DVR services. The YoutubeTV DVR is what convinced me to give up DirecTV. It doesn't include ESPN+ though, but ESPN+ offers replays pretty much as soon as the game is over. I have basic Hulu because my daughter likes it.

What's nice about YoutubeTV is that when I tune into a program it asks me if I want to go with it live or start at the beginning.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Hulu and YoutubeTV both offer DVR services. The YoutubeTV DVR is what convinced me to give up DirecTV. It doesn't include ESPN+ though, but ESPN+ offers replays pretty much as soon as the game is over. I have basic Hulu because my daughter likes it.

What's nice about YoutubeTV is that when I tune into a program it asks me if I want to go with it live or start at the beginning.
Plus YouTube TV also keeps adding little things to the interface. It is still a long way from perfect, but at least they are improving it pretty regularly and they aren’t afraid to try something new.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
A lot of the pricing wars that cable has gone through the last few years will eventually work their way down to the streaming services. Enjoy the low cost alternative while you can. It won’t last forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
A lot of the pricing wars that cable has gone through the last few years will eventually work their way down to the streaming services. Enjoy the low cost alternative while you can. It won’t last forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think internet prices are where we'll see this hit more than the streaming services themselves. Just my personal opinion. The big cable/internet companies aren't the ones pushing streaming tv so my bet is they'll make up those losses on the internet side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk