Sunday Morning Coaches - Couch Burning edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It’s been two games, and most of that action has been with back up QBs.
Agreed, which is why I'm not rushing to judgment. Was just pointing out the pattern we've seen for a while, and that there's a good chance Dunn is just running the same system we have been for a while. I'm not expecting us to suddenly start "opening up the playbook", because it goes against Gundy's philosophy of "security in simplicity".

Simply put - we don't have a more complex set of plays to run. Our playbook is really just this vanilla, because that's how Gundy wants it.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Simply put - we don't have a more complex set of plays to run. Our playbook is really just this vanilla, because that's how Gundy wants it.
I fear you may be right, but I think right now our o-line issues require help from cowboy backs and RB's, severely limiting their use as receivers. I haven't watched the video, but watching live I think the o-line was much better than against TU, especially considering WVUs talent on the d-line.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Yes but Thomas’ point was that is the way it has been in the past. As far as he was concerned it was water under the bridge.

In the Game Day Live at Eskimo Joes radio show that Rex Holt does Thomas specifically said he is all in in doing what her can to support OSU anyway he can. Even said he would move closer to Stillwater so he could get there easier to have more of a presence to help.

Thomas is not bent on the issue, he is wanting to work with OSU to connect former players with the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, my first inclination was right. cOUnningham was trying to make up a controversary that wasn't even there.
I listened to the podcast where he and Colby Powell discusses this. He interviewed Weeden for a pregame show his news station did Saturday morning and that is when Weeden said what he said.

Sounded to me like he was using this to try to get people to tune in to the pregame show. Not surprising the media is trying to stir something up to promote their news channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
For these of you down on our OC and play calling, remember we have a true freshman running things. Also why would want to show the contenders in our league our entire play book? Give our all time winningest HC some credit for developing a strategy for the entire season! Play calling shouldn’t be judged until we play one of the big boys
Agreed, we have to ease Illingworth into it. However, we cannot wait to open up at all until Texas or we will already have one loss. I am happy with play calling to date given all the circumstances. This includes a spectacular job on the patch work OL.

Oct 30, 2007
Winning with defense when we were never able too in the past is a big deal. I’m excited for the future...

coaching was pretty good. We kept things close to the best and still
Won fairly comfortably. WVU isn’t terrible and we made their decent offense look bad. Offense needs to improve both in terms of coaching and execution...but overall good job!
This!

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Offense: C+. It was ok and we did what we needed to do. All things considered, I almost want to give them an Inc this week (and next). But we are two games in now, so regardless of how we got here, this is where we are. I liked how we attacked on the opening drive, but after that it seemed like we tried to slow the game down quite a bit. I think Illingworth is as good as anticipated but he's still a freshman and freshman mistakes will happen. Hubbard really struggled and it's good he got bailed out because that could have been the difference in this game. Hopefully getting benched for most of the last drive was a wakeup call because his td run late was the first Hubbardesque play he's made all season.

Defense: A-. With the yards given up it would be a B-, but they stepped up in the 4th quarter and how can you not give them at least an A- when we get a defensive touchdown on a play that was likely at least a 10 point swing. Plus it was Irby with the td. It's one thing when a cb with 4.3 speed gets a pick 6. A 75 yard scoop and score from a backup defensive lineman, man when was the last time we saw something like that? The slant yards were an issue but overall our secondary looked pretty good.

Special Teams: A. The muffled kickoff wasn't good but we haven't had a lot of kickoff returns this year so I'll chalk that up to an early season mistake we may not see again. Hale seems like money and Hutton looks a lot better.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Winning with defense when we were never able too in the past is a big deal. I’m excited for the future...

coaching was pretty good. We kept things close to the best and still
Won fairly comfortably. WVU isn’t terrible and we made their decent offense look bad. Offense needs to improve both in terms of coaching and execution...but overall good job!
Where our offense needs to improve is TOP and turnovers. We put the ball on the ground too many times, we were fortunate to not lose them. If we add winning time of possession to what our defense is doing right now, our defense will be dominant.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
When you have good running backs and a lead in the 4th quarter, you're supposed to run the ball.
When you have a lead, good running backs, and a good defense in the 4th quarter you're supposed to run the ball. When you have a defense that you know is going to let the other team score when they get the ball then you can't manage the clock, you have to manage the scoreboard.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
When you have a lead, good running backs, and a good defense in the 4th quarter you're supposed to run the ball. When you have a defense that you know is going to let the other team score when they get the ball then you can't manage the clock, you have to manage the scoreboard.
Good thing it was your first sentence Saturday and not your second. When the offense catches up to what our defense is preforming, and I think it will, we are going to be very good this year. We need to pass a bit more and run a bit less...not drastic but maybe 60 / 40 run/pass paired with this defense will be perfect.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Two Sunbelt teams and an FCS team, so the current streak is more impressive, but in 2006 we opened the season holding the first 3 opponents under 20 points. However, we gave up more than 30 in the next two, to Houston and Kansas State, and lost both. We beat Alabama in the Independence Bowl that year, still the only bowl game I've ever been to.
1601327500173.png

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Pretty impressive and we should improve this week too, I am very happy that we have a defense that is carrying the team, and a kicker that has been excellent so far. And the punter looks like he may understand his role on the team this season. Once the offense starts really gelling we are going to be hard to beat.

Feb 18, 2009
It’s been two games, and most of that action has been with back up QBs.
I agree and have withheld comment on the QB's and the oline but even Sanders took us on a 15+ play drive with all the starters for a whopping 3 points. We were still very conservative and predictable even when we were at full strength. Maybe it was meant to be a warm up drive and just went south on us.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Oh, lord have mercy, yes, those 1985 unis were freaking gorgeous! And wearing the Sun Bowl all-white at home, genious!

And LD Brown's Cabbage Patch homage to Thurman also gets a helmet sticker.
When he did that I was saying WTF to my wife, then later on I got it.