Sunday Morning Coaches - Fake Toejams Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2005
Hall had 20 carries for 185 yards. 137 of that came on 2 plays. His other 18 carries got him 48 yards. That's roughly 2.7 yards a carry against one of the best backs in the league. Pretty solid day outside of those two plays.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
This win was the perfect Gundyball win. We beat a conference opponent by a super narrow margin by playing it safe. Game plan was blatantly obvious once our defense had success, which seemed pretty logical given how our opponent was playing. Once they were down a couple scores, they were pretty much toast. They just aren't built to score quickly. Gundy knew that, and just decided to coast on offense from that point on.

Let's stop and realized that we just beat Iowa State by 3 points at home.

Good win in and of itself. But it just exposes Gundy's weak approach to gamedays. I seriously think he hates the actual games. He starts trying to run the clock out and get them over with as soon as we get up one score. And for those of you saying this is "new".......just lol. This is Gundyball, and it's been Gundyball with the exception of the Holgersen/Monken years. It's just that once every 15 years, we actually have a good enough defense and/or run game to win at a slightly higher rate, and that's about it. This style will get destroyed by any team with equal or better athletes and even halfway decent coaching. Really interested to see how we handle Tejas and uo. I think we can beat both due to our defense, but it'll definitely give us a better indicator of where we are.
And 0U would take that all day long this year with this years ISU team.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Although I agree with you, one of those doesn't really count as good play calling, it was just Wallace in beast mode. If he's a normal human being it would have been a 2 yard gain.
You're not really wrong, but let me see... just wait a minute while I check the roster... yep, looks like Wallace is still on the team. When you've got a player who can conjure that kind of play out of thin air, you gotta give him more chances to do it.

Nov 6, 2010
Hall had 20 carries for 185 yards. 137 of that came on 2 plays. His other 18 carries got him 48 yards. That's roughly 2.7 yards a carry against one of the best backs in the league. Pretty solid day outside of those two plays.
You could pretty much say the same thing about most of Chuba's games last year. The big runs count too.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
This win was the perfect Gundyball win. We beat a conference opponent by a super narrow margin by playing it safe. Game plan was blatantly obvious once our defense had success, which seemed pretty logical given how our opponent was playing. Once they were down a couple scores, they were pretty much toast. They just aren't built to score quickly. Gundy knew that, and just decided to coast on offense from that point on.

Bu I'm concerned that this win, particularly this style of win, gives Gundy more confidence in his "safety in simplicity" approach. It works if you want to beat teams like KSU, ISU, and Tulsa with regularity. It does not work if you want to compete for national championships. Unfortunately, our fanbase seems content with the former, and has little interest in the latter.

Our defense will keep us in games that shouldn't be close in the first place, because Gundy takes his foot off the gas too early. That works when you play weak opponents regularly, but is a losing strategy against who we really want to compete with.

Let's stop and realized that we just beat Iowa State by 3 points at home.

Good win in and of itself. But it just exposes Gundy's weak approach to gamedays. I seriously think he hates the actual games. He starts trying to run the clock out and get them over with as soon as we get up one score. And for those of you saying this is "new".......just lol. This is Gundyball, and it's been Gundyball with the exception of the Holgersen/Monken years. It's just that once every 15 years, we actually have a good enough defense and/or run game to win at a slightly higher rate, and that's about it. This style will get destroyed by any team with equal or better athletes and even halfway decent coaching. Really interested to see how we handle Tejas and uo. I think we can beat both due to our defense, but it'll definitely give us a better indicator of where we are.
As an example, see the 2013 OU game in Stillwater. We had a very similar team (mobile QB, 2 good RBs, strong defense) and extremely conservative play calling by OSU allowed OU to hang close and pull out a victory late.
Sometimes conservative offensive play works, but against good teams, it leaves the defense on the field too long, and they eventually give up big plays late.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
I think it was an even better job of shutting Purdy down, considering in the past we've made him look like a young Cam Newton.

The O-line is dinged up. We need to be healthy over the next few weeks.
No question the defense was awesome overall. I mentioned shutting down Kolar because it seems as though ISU continually targets him on 3rd downs, and are usually successful.
I thought our DC had a great scheme to prevent Kolar (and Purdue) from converting on third downs.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I really would like to see us be more aggressive on Offense but not Yurcich style where it's just chunk it deep. I was really pleased that the cowboy backs got a real opportunity to be a part of the offense and they did well. If Dunn is going to use the middle of the field we will continue to be successful. Stoner, Woods and Carter take pressure off Wallace and Hubbard and Sanders just by being options in the middle.

The refs were not normal big12 refs, I'm not sure the reason why but they mentioned it on the radio pregame show that they were out of the PAC 12. As far as I'm concerned they can go back to the PAC 12 and stay there.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
As an example, see the 2013 OU game in Stillwater. We had a very similar team (mobile QB, 2 good RBs, strong defense) and extremely conservative play calling by OSU allowed OU to hang close and pull out a victory late.
Sometimes conservative offensive play works, but against good teams, it leaves the defense on the field too long, and they eventually give up big plays late.
The best teams (best coached teams) know how to exploit even the smallest coaching mistakes. The perfect example was the Super Bowl where NE essentially came back from what looked like a route by ATL, because Dann Quinn got conservative in the 3rd quarter. That was their demise. I said during the game that NE would exploit that decision, and they did. The switch to conservative play calling got ATL's offense out of rhythm, Brady and Bellichick exploited their strategy, and NE eventually won the game. In a game like the Super Bowl, where athletes are relatively even, and minute coaching decisions matter, it was the difference in the game.

And that's the thing. We WANT to be elite, right? We want to compete with the best, not just beat the teams that we can out-recruit. But Gundy's "safety in simplicity" and overly conservative approach simply won't get us there. He will need to change his approach if we ever want to get over any hump. I just don't think most of our fans, admin, or Gundy himself care to get over a hump. Most seem content that it's not the fabled 0-10-1 season, and that's the end of it.

Edit: Before anyone says it; I don't think we are a terrible team. I think we're solid. I just think Gundy's overall conservative approach is holding us back from being elite.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I really would like to see us be more aggressive on Offense but not Yurcich style where it's just chunk it deep. I was really pleased that the cowboy backs got a real opportunity to be a part of the offense and they did well. If Dunn is going to use the middle of the field we will continue to be successful. Stoner, Woods and Carter take pressure off Wallace and Hubbard and Sanders just by being options in the middle.

The refs were not normal big12 refs, I'm not sure the reason why but they mentioned it on the radio pregame show that they were out of the PAC 12. As far as I'm concerned they can go back to the PAC 12 and stay there.
"Aggressive" is not the same as "dumb". The Yurcich offense was horrible. We can be aggressive and still remain smart. Look at teams like KC or NO in the NFL. They aren't just chunking it deep every play. They're utilizing every inch of the field, both laterally and horizontally. Gundy just wants our OC's to "run the ball and throw it sideways" all day, and has no interest in being more dynamic than that.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

The one thing I would have liked to have seen out of our offense was the kill-shot, step on their throats with an iron-boot score that put the game out of reach. Otherwise, I have no problem with the 3-4th quarter offense.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You're not really wrong, but let me see... just wait a minute while I check the roster... yep, looks like Wallace is still on the team. When you've got a player who can conjure that kind of play out of thin air, you gotta give him more chances to do it.
How about Wallace taking the onside kick at the high point, just like a basketball rebound. We were totally prepared for the onside kick. Again, our special teams were simply better.

Nov 6, 2010
The one thing I would have liked to have seen out of our offense was the kill-shot, step on their throats with an iron-boot score that put the game out of reach. Otherwise, I have no problem with the 3-4th quarter offense.
It was there, but it got called back on a hold by Wallace, a marginal call at that. I see WR's get away with a lot more than that regularly. And I'm not complaining about the calls, the Clones had several go against them too, just saying the refs were pretty involved in that game and made it tough for either offense to get going, so tough to pull away.

Nov 6, 2010
"Aggressive" is not the same as "dumb". The Yurcich offense was horrible. We can be aggressive and still remain smart. Look at teams like KC or NO in the NFL. They aren't just chunking it deep every play. They're utilizing every inch of the field, both laterally and horizontally. Gundy just wants our OC's to "run the ball and throw it sideways" all day, and has no interest in being more dynamic than that.
I noticed this watching Pittsburg yesterday. Big Ben wasn't going through a lot of progressions, he looked at his first read, and if it was there, he took it. Even though it was only a 5 yard route, the receiver then had a chance in space to make more out of it, and they did. Like you said, they used the whole field, and all their receivers. Reminded me a lot of the old Mike Leach offenses, just take those 5 yard routes all the way down the field. Minimizes sacks and holding calls when you utilize that short passing game and mix in the run.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
What was it? 7:30ish to go in 4th qtr? Up by 10 and 4th with 2 yards to go. On isu 38? Discussion amongst our group: two were for taking penalty and punt. The other vote was go for it. At home, up 10, time to make a #6 in the nation statement. After the last isu TD, the lone voice was doing “the told you so” routine. You can guess who the dissenter was.

Nov 6, 2010
What was it? 7:30ish to go in 4th qtr? Up by 10 and 4th with 2 yards to go. On isu 38? Discussion amongst our group: two were for taking penalty and punt. The other vote was go for it. At home, up 10, time to make a #6 in the nation statement. After the last isu TD, the lone voice was doing “the told you so” routine. You can guess who the dissenter was.
My only issue with that sequence was not taking a timeout. Why not take the timeout after not getting them to jump, and talk it over to see if we can agree on a high percentage play to run. If not, you can still go out there and do the whole "try to get them to jump" thing, and it would have a lot more credibility after taking a timeout to discuss. Bonus of giving the D a little more time to catch their breath. I think we still had all 3 TO's at the time.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I agreed with the decision to punt in that spot. Again - being aggressive doesn't mean throwing all sense of judgment out the window. Up 10 with the way our defense was playing; 100% punt in that case. My issue is with the generally conservative calls that got us into the position (up only 10 points) at that point in the game. If they had a more potent offense, we may have needed to play it more aggressively in that spot, but I liked the decision to punt given all the factors.