Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 12, Fried Chicken Hawk Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
This whole thing could be summed up with a single sentence: Kansas isn't very good. But a win is a win, so here goes...

Offense: C
The long TD pass to Stoner looked great, and Sanders had a couple of nice runs. I get that we have simplified things for him, but this seems like the game where we could have installed more, especially coming off a bye-week. Still, the simplification has helped him avoid the turnovers, none again this week. We were only 4 of 12 on third downs, which isn't good. We see this week what the other problem is that we're going to have with Sanders, and that is getting hurt. Coaches need to drive into his head not to leave his feet, ever. That's a blown ACL or dislocated shoulder waiting to happen. I'm glad Brown got into the game so that maybe we can put that controversy to bed. He had one great pass. Otherwise, we only scored 7 points in the second half. Stoner has really stepped up his game since Wallace went down; love that kid. Chuba had a nice day; didn't see much action in the second half.

Defense: A
Another week with 3 interceptions. Kolby Harvell-Peel has found his nose for the ball. It's disappointing that we let them score twice, but it was in the 4th quarter against back-ups. That's Gundy, when the game is put away he's going to get starters off the field. You can ask Nick Saban why this morning. Yes, I know, it's Kansas... but still, the defense looked fantastic and the effort was outstanding.

Special Teams: C
1-4 on field goals. Yeah, I get that the wind was pretty crazy (Kansas was 0-1 on field goals). Punts going that way did strange things too - we averaged 30.4 yards per punt. 1-4 and 30.4 ypp are not good numbers. If we make this 3 field goals and put another 9 points on the board then I'm a lot happier with the score.

Coaching: B
It's Kansas. We're expected to beat them. So, it's a difficult stick to measure with. I truly hope Miles can make them better, but my guess is that they'll still be Kansas when he's gone.

Outlook:
We should beat West Virginia next week. Then again, Kansas State should have beaten them yesterday. Playing in Morgantown and Ames this time of year always concerns me, because it is freaking cold. But, beat the 'Neers next week and the only thing that stands between us and 10 wins is the goons.

As always, I look forward to reading your analysis.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Special Teams: C
1-4 on field goals. Yeah, I get that the wind was pretty crazy (Kansas was 0-1 on field goals). Punts going that way did strange things too - we averaged 30.4 yards per punt. 1-4 and 30.4 ypp are not good numbers. If we make this 3 field goals and put another 9 points on the board then I'm a lot happier with the score.
I think you were too kind here. You forgot about the running into the kicker that kept our D on the field and continued a KU drive. We also had an average punt return of a whopping 3.5 yards. I'll get in the holiday spirit and give them a D.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Granted they aren't very good...but they did win a non-con game at BC and beat Texas Tech...they lost to Texas on the road by only 2 and WVU by 5. That said we pretty much did what we wanted to them on defense but our offense was somewhat pedestrian at times. Also, I would have scored special teams a D, tops. Agree that Defense was an A and Offense a C.

Btw, Uniforms...A***. Also, Love this post every week. thanks!

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Apologies for getting off track here, but just had to put one of my strange theories out here. Does Les were that insane championship ring all the time, or was that a response to the OSU people who snip at him for leaving us to go to LSU?
1574000100059.png

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He's always worn those insanely huge rings...even when I met him just prior to his first year at OSU he was wearing big rings...I guess from his playing days @ Michigan. He was certainly giving his fingernails a workout on the sideline. Hope he's not making a mistake playing his sons and I also hope they get competitive but not at our expense.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense B. The long pass by Sanders to Stoner may have been his best pass all year, perfectly dropped into his hands right in stride, he made some other very good throws as well. I gave a B because the blocking still has to get better from everybody, Line, RB's WR's.....all of them. 8 TFL's against KU is too many. 3-12 on 3rd downs is not enough. But at the end of the day, they were efficient and quietly racked up almost 450 yards.

Defense A. I still do not like that zone coverage we run and it gives up too many easy completions. However, the front 7 (6) were absolutely dominant and that is always good to see. Ogbongbemiga was everywhere that 1st half, I was stunned when I looked at the stats and saw he only had 6 tackles all game, thought I heard his name called more than that. Ford is a future star and Harvel Peel had himself another great game. It's not rocket science, when OSU wins the TO battle, we usually win the game. DB's played pretty good in man, just hate that freaking zone.

Special Teams F. Coach Gundy, please, I am begging you, swallow your freaking ego and name a special teams coordinator next season, and actually devote more practice time to special teams. Another kick off out of bounds, what is that, 4 or 5 in the past 2 seasons? Unacceptable. Hutton has so much potential but he's so inconsistent and sometimes looks like he isn't being coached at all. Perfect example is his punt out of the endzone. He stood halfway into the endzone, even though he had 4 more yards to work with behind him. A guy got close and he had to kick it high, resulting in a very short punt. Moving back a couple of yards could have made a difference. I'm not 100% sure but I believe all or most of the missed FG in the game were on the open end and all missed left because of that south wind blowing through right at that spot.
We had Hubbard back there for 2 or 3 KO returns in the first game, but he's never been back there again.....question: how much better would his Heisman chances be with a KO return TD highlight and/or another 250ish yards to add to his all purpose total?

Overall good game. Favored by 18, won by 18. Frustrating part is knowing we could easily be in the hunt for the conference title but BU and OU are pretty much locked in at this point. The Tech loss will forever haunt this season as what might have been. How many different Big 12 teams make the title game before OSU does. Let's hope that number stops at 3 next season.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
One point. We have to win out and win the bowl game to get to 10 wins.
The fact that it is still even remotely possible, and could well still be on Thanksgiving day, is pretty amazing. Who would have thought that was still on the table after the Baylor loss in mid October?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The fact that it is still even remotely possible, and could well still be on Thanksgiving day, is pretty amazing. Who would have thought that was still on the table after the Baylor loss in mid October?
Well the schedule did set up for this current run a little, but I agree, with our QB coughing up the ball right and left we weren't going to win any titles...Now that the turnover machine has turned off on offense and turned on for the defense it makes a HUGE difference in the win / loss column.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Offense B. The long pass by Sanders to Stoner may have been his best pass all year, perfectly dropped into his hands right in stride, he made some other very good throws as well. I gave a B because the blocking still has to get better from everybody, Line, RB's WR's.....all of them. 8 TFL's against KU is too many. 3-12 on 3rd downs is not enough. But at the end of the day, they were efficient and quietly racked up almost 450 yards.

Defense A. I still do not like that zone coverage we run and it gives up too many easy completions. However, the front 7 (6) were absolutely dominant and that is always good to see. Ogbongbemiga was everywhere that 1st half, I was stunned when I looked at the stats and saw he only had 6 tackles all game, thought I heard his name called more than that. Ford is a future star and Harvel Peel had himself another great game. It's not rocket science, when OSU wins the TO battle, we usually win the game. DB's played pretty good in man, just hate that freaking zone.

Special Teams F. Coach Gundy, please, I am begging you, swallow your freaking ego and name a special teams coordinator next season, and actually devote more practice time to special teams. Another kick off out of bounds, what is that, 4 or 5 in the past 2 seasons? Unacceptable. Hutton has so much potential but he's so inconsistent and sometimes looks like he isn't being coached at all. Perfect example is his punt out of the endzone. He stood halfway into the endzone, even though he had 4 more yards to work with behind him. A guy got close and he had to kick it high, resulting in a very short punt. Moving back a couple of yards could have made a difference. I'm not 100% sure but I believe all or most of the missed FG in the game were on the open end and all missed left because of that south wind blowing through right at that spot.
We had Hubbard back there for 2 or 3 KO returns in the first game, but he's never been back there again.....question: how much better would his Heisman chances be with a KO return TD highlight and/or another 250ish yards to add to his all purpose total?

Overall good game. Favored by 18, won by 18. Frustrating part is knowing we could easily be in the hunt for the conference title but BU and OU are pretty much locked in at this point. The Tech loss will forever haunt this season as what might have been. How many different Big 12 teams make the title game before OSU does. Let's hope that number stops at 3 next season.
Good points. I’ll disagree on Chuba returning KO’s. It’s the most dangerous play in football in regards to injury. That’s why the NFL is doing everything they can to eliminate them.

I’d rather Chuba get his 25 touches rushing and catching and still pray he doesn’t get hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Good points. I’ll disagree on Chuba returning KO’s. It’s the most dangerous play in football in regards to injury. That’s why the NFL is doing everything they can to eliminate them.

I’d rather Chuba get his 25 touches rushing and catching and still pray he doesn’t get hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dez Bryant returned punts and was pretty good at it. Let the best players play. There is no point in keeping them on the shelf. That said, there are other players on the team as fast as Chuba who are returning kickoffs.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Dez Bryant returned punts and was pretty good at it. Let the best players play. There is no point in keeping them on the shelf. That said, there are other players on the team as fast as Chuba who are returning kickoffs.
Not if we have some of those games where we run him 40+ times. It was getting a bit excessive for a while there.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Guys that wear extra rings that aren't their wedding bands and guys that dye their hair after they've gone gray are guys I don't trust.
Football coaches in our modern overpaid world of football coaches are out of touch with reality sometimes.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Apologies for getting off track here, but just had to put one of my strange theories out here. Does Les were that insane championship ring all the time, or was that a response to the OSU people who snip at him for leaving us to go to LSU?
View attachment 75085
I thought it was the Houston Bowl championship ring???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Name one game where we ran him 40 times.
:glare: Something tells me you already searched www.iamright.com so I'll skip the research, but the point remains the same. We all remember Gundy talking about his intent to reduce the number of touches Hubbard was getting because we were wearing him out like a college student's old car.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm starting to become a believer in the defense. I know it was KU, but they've scored a lot of points this year in other games, and they couldn't do anything against our starters. Seems the safeties are figuring it out, you can really see them playing with confidence and seem to be in the right place most times now.