Sunday Morning Coaches - Week 3 (Smurf Turf Edition)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Nebraska, UCLA, Wisconsin, Floriduh State... we aren't them.

I said in the score prediction thread that all we really knew about this team this point (at the time I wrote it) was that we could eat cupcakes and that this week we would find out exactly how good we are. The answer is, we're pretty dang good.

Offense: A-
It took us until the second half to find consistency in the run game. We are still struggling to connect with long passes. The first one matters, the second one doesn't. I said in another thread that we we needed out of TC was to be an efficient game manager, to do the things he does well, not turn the ball over, get us out of bad plays at the line of scrimmage, etc. He did that... and more. He also showed some toughness and speed running the ball, something we had not seen in the first two games - not that we needed to, we didn't. He showed some on field leadership. He became the quarterback of the Cowboys yesterday. I'm sure there are still going to be doubters and there are still going to be those who, the first time he throws an interception (and he will), want one of the backups out there. But yesterday.... I was talking with a friend yesterday morning before the game and he asked me about my thoughts. I said, "If everything else is equal, the team with the better quarterback is going to win, and Boise has the better quarterback." Yesterday they didn't. Oh, Rypien is the better passer. But Corndawg outplayed him yesterday. Toughness and leadership. Just what we needed.

The only problem I saw with TC yesterday, in that goalline stand when he scored our final touchdown, the play before the touchdown he came up limping. Shades of Zac Robinson vs Texas Tech 2009 and JW Walsh 2012/13/14. I commented to my wife after the touchdown, "I'd take his helmet and shoulder pads off and take him straight to an ice bath." I could see on his face on the sidelines, however, that he wasn't going to let anyone else take a snap in victory formation.

Defense: A+
DC Jim Knowles deserves a game ball. What on earth was the defensive alignment yesterday? 4-2-5? 3-3-5? 3-4-4? 4-5-2? 3-8? 4-4-3? 4-3-4? Man, zone, man under zone, cover 2, cover 1, cover 3? Because I'm pretty sure I saw all of that yesterday. Our defense was moving more than Tina Turner singing Proud Mary in the 70s. To put it simply, Knowles out-coached Boise State, he did a masterful job of mixing up the looks to keep the Bronco offense uncomfortable and out of rhythm. I'm not sure when the last time that happened involving our defense. Brailford and Bundage were simply magnificent. Rypien is going to feel those guys on him this morning. And those Justin Phillips hits... wow! There was one point late in the game where we had them in 3rd and 16... and forced them to punt! That is the place where our defenses of the past would have given up a soul crushing long play.

I can forgive the Bundage neutral zone infractions. But, Calvin, if you're going to do that don't stop, keep charging towards the quarterback. Did we have a single pass interference call? Because I can't remember one. Our pass coverage was excellent.

Special Teams: A freaking Plus
Two blocked punts including a scoop and score. I can forgive the shanked punt which led to their first touchdown. I can forgive the kickoffs which went out of bounds. The 30 yard return by Hubbard was nice, I'd like to see more. I'd like to see Stoner return a punt or two. Ammendola has become quite the reliable kicker. But the two blocked punts, especially that second blocked punt with the scoop and score, that was a turning point in the game. It swung momentum to our side and Boise State was never able to get it back. I can't remember who said it that it would likely be a big play in the special teams that would make the game for us. I was a doubter. They were right, I was wrong.

Striping the stadium: A
It was a big game. We treated it like it was a big game. I saw several Tweets from Boise fans that were talking about how well they were treated by the Cowboys faithful. I wish I could have been there. Well done Pokes.

Loyal and True.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It was a great day.
Our fans represented.
Our team represented.
It' was hot but not unbearable.
The Campus was beautiful.
It appears that we have a defense.
It appears we have a QB.
and it appears that we may be top 15 at least and a definate Big 12 contender and possibly a playoff contender.

Great day to be a Poke!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
It was a great day.
Our fans represented.
Our team represented.
It appears we have a QB.
and it appears that we may be top 15 at least and a definate Big 12 contender and possibly a playoff contender.

Great day to be a Poke!
Some Boise St. fans at the OP tailgate commented on how beautiful the campus is. They weren’t wrong. The humidicity was what made it bad moreso than the heat. Thank goodness for the cloud cover. I hope we don’t have to use Corndog as much in the run game going forward but it is something other teams will have to prepare for. I’m afraid we may not move up as much as we’d like because not enough teams ahead of us lost. I think we may be #18 this week. Just win, baby.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Say what you will about Pat Jones, but he appears to be an excellent judge of football talent as he appears to have called it again this year.

Interesting game in that Boise had only 12 and we had only 11 offensive possessions. For 2 high-flying, quick score offenses that's low. With 21 points Boise got 1.75 points per possession, well below what they needed to be held to (standard is to hold the opponent under 3.0). OSU got their points again this week plus a little from the defense, racking up a very solid 4.0 points per possession. The stat indicates a great game for OSU on both sides of the ball against a quality opponent.

Only thing I saw that needs work is receivers and QB need to work out connecting on the long passes. Some were missed throws. On at least two of the long balls it looked like the receiver gave up on the route and stopped running, where if they had kept running they would have been able to get to the ball. I think that's on them and not the QB. O line appeared to get better as the game went along; saw some well-defined holes in the second half.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
On at least two of the long balls it looked like the receiver gave up on the route and stopped running
I was listening to the radio broadcast with the TV sound turned off. They mentioned this, that TC was throwing to a spot but the receiver had pulled up and if he had ran through the route it would have been a touchdown.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
It was a great day.
Our fans represented.
Our team represented.
It appears we have a QB.

Great day to be a Poke!
I drove up to the South Alabama game to be in the CMB Alumni Band and see some old friends. I have always thought we had a beautiful campus, but it looked the best I have seen it ever. Part of it is no significant construction in among the curriculum buildings. Over the years they have added many nice little touches with brick work sidewalks, planters, etc. Very proud of my school.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Some Boise St. fans at the OP tailgate commented on how beautiful the campus is. They weren’t wrong. The humidicity was what made it bad moreso than the heat. Thank goodness for the cloud cover. I hope we don’t have to use Corndog as much in the run game going forward but it is something other teams will have to prepare for. I’m afraid we may not move up as much as we’d like because not enough teams ahead of us lost. I think we may be #18 this week. Just win, baby.
I'm kind of goofy and outgoing so I make sure I greet as many visitors as I can. They seemed to be legitimately impressed with the Campus prior to the game. I think we are a very welcoming bunch and I hope that continues into the future with the generations to come. It's one of the major things that sets us apart, sure we want to win football games, but we realize that life isn't about that it's about people and treating them right. It always makes me proud that visiting fans are likely to have been welcomed so much that they think we are over the top nice, but genuinely so. They deserve really good treatment, they spend their money to travel to places like Stillwater to support their school and team and, in turn, the local economy..By the way, I thought their fan base was very much like ours and a friendly lot, that surprised me actually. It's how it's suppose to be.

Last edited:

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
Most of what I want to say has been already said...Just a couple of things to add.

Special Teams, two of the kickoff's that weren't touchbacks (or out of bounds) our coverage guys tackled their return guy before he got to the 25. That's great. Then Amendola absolutely drilling a 48 yarder...Well The special teams were pretty special.

Defense, The poor Boise O-Line was totally confused...I don't think I'm out of line saying that our Defense from the past couple of years would have been sliced and diced by Rypien. I love this new defense..AJ got burned once when we brought the house, that's going to happen. The second time he didn't get burned, he was right there w/ the receiver, but the guy did his best ODB imitation and made and amazing play. I'm okay w/ getting burned deep as long as we are getting to the QB and disrupting him most other plays. We've had a D that did the exact opposite last several years. Late in the game, the offense came in w/ about 8 minutes to go. Unfortunately they go 3 and out the announcers are squawking about the play calling and the lack of time they took off the clock. Well just like one of Pavlovs dog's I start having these gut reactions...Sweating, Anxiety, Shaky hands...Then the D rolls out there and forces Boise State to have their own 3 and out. How awesome is that?! The Defense can bail out the offense! Our offenses have always been great the last few years and it HAD to be, now though, Our offense is pretty good, and so it our Defense!

Offense, What can you say about Taylor...the guy played with the kind of grit that would make Walt Garrison proud. We were struggling to run the ball in the first half, so Taylor just does it himself. All Balls Man. Ideally I'd like to see him run less and have more success running the ball w/ our RB's, but you have to take what you can get. Before the game I said to my friends that I thought both Justice and Chuba would break free for a 50 plus yard runs. Didn't happen w/ Chuba, I think we've got to find a way to get him the ball in space. Small complaint.

All in all it was the most fun I have had watching a game in a long time. Go Pokes!

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Too generous on the Striping grade. Striping B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I admit, I wasn't there, didn't listen to the TV commentary, so I graded it based on very little information.
I’m sure the Striping looked beautiful on the radio.

We made need a full time Striping Coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
First, I come before you and humbly beg forgiveness for my lack of faith in the prediction thread. Don’t beat me up too bad, I actually placed money on us even after that post and got us at +1!

Offense A-

Had some drops, missed a wide open #2 for a long TD. But clearly made up for it elsewhere. Only one series I can remember where I thought, “did we just not want to try on that one?” The run game is a serious weapon mid q3 and on. Defense starts to wear out from chasing us all day at tempo and then wham, fresh RB’s coming at you that aren’t tired at all. Oline stayed strong too. Corhole actually keeping it on an RPO is a wrinkle Mason just didn’t do much.

Defense: A+

Not much to say. The players and Knowles made me a believer yesterday. I found myself wanting the defense back in the field instead of the offense. Been a long time since that has happened. If not for two perfect bounces, we’d have had more two more turnovers from sacks. Two of the TDs, the other guys made a play, that happens. I never sat there thinking “why is there always a guy wide open?!?” Very excited and I think Tech is about to run into a buzzsaw next week.

Special Teams: A
Kicked two out of bounds after scoring TDs. Usually that’s a momentum swing but the D stepped up. Shanked a punt. Then the fun stuff started. Those two punt blocks were awesome. Identifying a weakness and then coming after it like that was unreal. Ammendola drilled that 48 yarder. Not much in the return game yet but there weren’t many chances.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't get why fans are so excited about striping the stadium. It's okay occassionally, but it's really overrated. It ranks right up there with camo uniforms.
You do know it's about spending money in Stillwater right? Striping the stadium is just so we fans have to buy new shirts...especially if we are sitting in the white sections. I don't mind it, but I agree with you that it's not something we should do annually. Once again however, gimmicks are about the money so it's likely to continue.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It was a great day.
Our fans represented.
Our team represented.
It appears we have a QB.

Great day to be a Poke!
I heard all week that Boise was gonna be one of, if not the best defense/secondary we were gonna have this year and that it would really test TC. If that's the case I don't see him having to run near as much in future games.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
I heard all week that Boise was gonna be one of, if not the best defense/secondary we were gonna have this year and that it would really test TC. If that's the case I don't see him having to run near as much in future games.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
To be fair they were down one of their best players in the secondary.