Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Oh, I know lol.

You always have the group that's trigger-happy to fire the coach, those in the middle that preach a little patience, & the coach is never at fault group.

I pretty much fall in the middle group & the other two groups drive me crazy.
Some of that is heat of the moment. I can't say I've never been guilty.

Nov 18, 2010
Good post!

I agree with you program stability vs. a one year flash in the pan, but then again, who doesn't? I'd also add that changing your fortunes in BB quickly is soooo much easier than in football, just from a sheer numbers of dudes standpoint.

To your question, though, I'd hesitantly buy now. Recruiting rankings look great, but seen that before, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Stability?

8th place out of 10 teams in 2020
9th place out of 10 teams in 2019
8th place out of 10 teams in 2018

We're awful, but we're holding stable!

Is stability at 8th/9th place out of 10 teams really what you want?

He's getting another year, so it's moot, but imagine if the football team finished in 8th and 9th place for 3 years.
Imagine what this board would look like. He's been here three years and the best we've done is 8th place out of 10 teams.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Stability?

8th place out of 10 teams in 2020
9th place out of 10 teams in 2019
8th place out of 10 teams in 2018

We're awful, but we're holding stable!

Is stability at 8th/9th place out of 10 teams really what you want?

He's getting another year, so it's moot, but imagine if the football team finished in 8th and 9th place for 3 years.
Imagine what this board would look like. He's been here three years and the best we've done is 8th place out of 10 teams.
I hear ya, & if you've read my posts on it, it's put up or shut up time next year.

In context, the stability I was talking about is not changing coaches every 2 or 3 years. Of course stability means nothing if the results suck.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Alright. I was wrong to be so hard on Boynton. This season would've been different if Likekele wouldn't have gotten mono. At worst, we'd be a bubble team right now. I'm all for keeping the Boynton train rolling at this point.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Alright. I was wrong to be so hard on Boynton. This season would've been different if Likelle wouldn't have gotten mono. At worst, we'd be a bubble team right now. I'm all for keeping the Boynton train rolling at this point.
Boynton was lucky to land this gig at this point in his career, but apparently used up all his luck in that one day. Between injuries and kids being idiots, he's due a little smooth time.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Im so pleased with the change in offensive identity, the timely substitutions, the killing of potential scoring runs by the other teams, and the way the team seems to be enjoying playing together again. Im all in for another year of Coach Boynton after the way he turned our season around. Wish we would have won at ISU and at home vs Texas. If we'd won both of those we would likely be NCAA tourney bound.

Lets give em hell in the Big XII tourney! Way to go coach and team.

Sep 23, 2010
Im so pleased with the change in offensive identity, the timely substitutions, the killing of potential scoring runs by the other teams, and the way the team seems to be enjoying playing together again. Im all in for another year of Coach Boynton after the way he turned our season around. Wish we would have won at ISU and at home vs Texas. If we'd won both of those we would likely be NCAA tourney bound.

Lets give em hell in the Big XII tourney! Way to go coach and team.
At minimum, we go 2-6 in our first 8 conference game. I also got to believe we beat Georgetown at home if Ice never gets sick and WSU, Minnesota games would have been far more competitive. It all caused our team to lose so much confidence (particularly Lindy who had to carry too much of the load) that they possessed from the New York trip, and it took some real time for Ice to get back to full health.

This could have easily been a 21-22 win regular season.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm sure you all noticed that Underwood has taken Illinois to the #2 spot in the Big 10+4 and just got another bump in his pay.

Holder really blew that one. (IMHO)

But, for the most part, I really appreciate Holder for what he's done for our alma mater.
He still is not worth $4m per year. Period. Holder did a great job not acquiescing to that kind of demand... Not that Underwood ever gave him the opportunity to counter.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm sure you all noticed that Underwood has taken Illinois to the #2 spot in the Big 10+4 and just got another bump in his pay.
Between this and Baylor fighting it out with OU for the football conference title then KU for the basketball title, college sports has recently taught me there is no justice in the universe.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Coach Bonton did a heck of a job down the back half of the season adjusting the things that were gawd awful early. The offensive movements and effort to get the ball inside for higher % shots was just what we were all seeing and complaining about. Id still say he needs a few practices where if a ball goes up from inside the free throw area and they dont use the glass, they should run yoyos till their feet smoke. So tired of seeing Yor and others shoot those floaters that go half way down and bobble out or just ride the rim and circle around and out. That square on the backboard = automatic if you use it how its intended.

Defensively, we still are having too many breakdowns off of screens. Gotta fix that.

Rebounding has improved, but still seeing guys going in for rebounds and not getting bodied up to box out.

All in all, weve beaten teams we should in the second half of the season. So, very pleased by that. And should have won at Baylor without the atrocious officiating.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Coach Bonton did a heck of a job down the back half of the season adjusting the things that were gawd awful early. The offensive movements and effort to get the ball inside for higher % shots was just what we were all seeing and complaining about. Id still say he needs a few practices where if a ball goes up from inside the free throw area and they dont use the glass, they should run yoyos till their feet smoke. So tired of seeing Yor and others shoot those floaters that go half way down and bobble out or just ride the rim and circle around and out. That square on the backboard = automatic if you use it how its intended.

Defensively, we still are having too many breakdowns off of screens. Gotta fix that.

Rebounding has improved, but still seeing guys going in for rebounds and not getting bodied up to box out.

All in all, weve beaten teams we should in the second half of the season. So, very pleased by that. And should have won at Baylor without the atrocious officiating.
To put this one to bed.
A05D1620-534F-4832-A980-B6E812343565.jpeg