The Chili Thread.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
It's the official Chili thread!

We hope to have a chili competition for the Colorado Tailgate. It would be perfect being that the weather should be nice and cold plus being on a Thursday a traditional menu will be tough. (One surprise will be on the menu)

So, let's talk chili. Beans vs no beans, texture, it's all fair game.

Sep 22, 2007
NW Arkansas
Well, to me chili is all about flavor, not how hot and spicy you can make it. Seems all the chili events today revolve around how bad you can make a mouth burn. I like to be able to taste the beans and the meat. It should have enough spices to warm you up a little bit on a cold day, and let you enjoy your belches on the couch watching the big game! And I will now accept all the "you're an old wuss" comments! ;)

Oct 25, 2008
I agree. So what? You can make the world's hottest chili, but can you make the tastiest? Where even grandma and your 5 year old like it. I think I prefer it with beans and diced tomatoes, maybe.

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
I found that the best base to chili is a 60/40 mix of crushed tomatoes and petite diced. I like a whole onion diced w/ a good amount of garlic. I also like a lot of meat and a good spice combo of chili powder, black pepper, paprika, cayenne and a nice handful of brown sugar. All in a crock for enough hours to melt everything nicely. Diced bacon is a wonderful addition. I add a half a can of dark red beans just to have a few in the pot. Chili shouldn't be too hot and it should have enough flavor that you don't need cheese/crackers/sour cream to make it edible. The only winter weekend kettle food I love more than chili is a good hearty stew, but that's another thread.

Aug 25, 2009
America
As a personal preference, I am a no bean man myself. This isn't just in my chili, but I don't like beans of any kind...not sure why, they have always just disagreed with me.

So, years ago when I decided to enter into what is possibly the manliest of food arts, I made my entry beanless. I'll gladly try every kind of chili under the sun, but to each their own. The arguement has existed for years, and I'm certainly not going to be the one who ends it.

Since I do a beanless chili, I tend to put in larger chunks of onion, tomato, mild peppers, and thick cut bacon.

If its for a competition I take ribeyes and freeze em solid, let em thaw just a bit then grate em up with a big hole chese grater for my meat. I've used everything from flank steaks, to round, to tinderloin for this...I avoid ground chuck most of the time simply because it doesn't bring enough flavor.

I use a blend of peppers, and if there are going to be children and old folks eating on this then I tend to back off of the spice so much, but I still bring a lot of flavor.

I use a lot of mild peppers to bring flavor to it. Fresh Poblano's, Anaheims, and multicolor bells, I dice up into smaller chunks. lots of paprika, and bring in a nice balance of heat by taking fresh chipotles, guajillos, and jalapenos, roasting them over a grill to take out some of the bitterness and tone em down a bit, then put them in a blender add some water and liquify them...that way no one accidentally gets stuck with a big honkin chunk of hot pepper in their bite.

Of course, onions and tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar, secret ingredients, magical powders I purchased from an indian shaman on top of a mountian when I was in the spirit world one time back in the mid 90's, and love...lots and lots of love.

Sep 22, 2007
NW Arkansas
As a personal preference, I am a no bean man myself. This isn't just in my chili, but I don't like beans of any kind...not sure why, they have always just disagreed with me.

So, years ago when I decided to enter into what is possibly the manliest of food arts, I made my entry beanless. I'll gladly try every kind of chili under the sun, but to each their own. The arguement has existed for years, and I'm certainly not going to be the one who ends it.

Since I do a beanless chili, I tend to put in larger chunks of onion, tomato, mild peppers, and thick cut bacon.

If its for a competition I take ribeyes and freeze em solid, let em thaw just a bit then grate em up with a big hole chese grater for my meat. I've used everything from flank steaks, to round, to tinderloin for this...I avoid ground chuck most of the time simply because it doesn't bring enough flavor.

I use a blend of peppers, and if there are going to be children and old folks eating on this then I tend to back off of the spice so much, but I still bring a lot of flavor.

I use a lot of mild peppers to bring flavor to it. Fresh Poblano's, Anaheims, and multicolor bells, I dice up into smaller chunks. lots of paprika, and bring in a nice balance of heat by taking fresh chipotles, guajillos, and jalapenos, roasting them over a grill to take out some of the bitterness and tone em down a bit, then put them in a blender add some water and liquify them...that way no one accidentally gets stuck with a big honkin chunk of hot pepper in their bite.

Of course, onions and tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar, secret ingredients, magical powders I purchased from an indian shaman on top of a mountian when I was in the spirit world one time back in the mid 90's, and love...lots and lots of love.
Ummm you didn't by any chance smoke anything ...uh say in a pipe ...with that ol indian chief did you? :D

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
I found that the best base to chili is a 60/40 mix of crushed tomatoes and petite diced. I like a whole onion diced w/ a good amount of garlic. I also like a lot of meat and a good spice combo of chili powder, black pepper, paprika, cayenne and a nice handful of brown sugar. All in a crock for enough hours to melt everything nicely. Diced bacon is a wonderful addition. I add a half a can of dark red beans just to have a few in the pot. Chili shouldn't be too hot and it should have enough flavor that you don't need cheese/crackers/sour cream to make it edible. The only winter weekend kettle food I love more than chili is a good hearty stew, but that's another thread.
Erick, you think I can get a 12 pack of that or will I need to come to a tailgate :p

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I have morphed a couple of chili recepies together plus swapped some ingredients in and out. The card I use looks like one of those where the teacher said you can take the test and for a crib sheet you can have all the notes you can fit on a 3" x 5" card. I use brisket for most of the meat by dicing it into 1" cubes and cooking it in the crock with everything else till the meat strings out. I add rib eye trimmings from the butcher towards the end. I usually add mild picante instead of tomato sauce since it has onions and peppers already blended. Bean always - red kidney and black. The toughest part is smelling it overnight and not getting to eat any until the next day.

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
Erick, you think I can get a 12 pack of that or will I need to come to a tailgate :p
I think we need to ship you a care package. :D

After reading some of the previous methods, I have decided that I need to step my game up. Brisket and Rib Eye. No you didn't!

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
After reading this thread I decided to put on a big pot of chili this morning before I left for work. Nothing fancy, I'm kind of limited on my ingredient selection but dammit I wanted chili. I only have the McCormick spice bags, I can't get all the specific spices I want to add. 2lbs of 80/20 ground beef browned with a few cloves of garlic and half an onion. Mixed in 2 cans of kidney beans (I like beans). 1 can of Ro-tel, 1 can of Petite Diced tomatoes, 1 big can of tomato sauce. I also diced up another 1.5 onion and threw that in too (I like onions). Threw it all in the crock pot before I left on warm. Nothing like letting it crock-pot while you work. It's 10am and I am ready to go home and eat.

Feb 28, 2007
Edmond
Good subject for a thread. I think I will finally have a good recipe when i am a senior citizen because I make it slightly different every time trying to find the way I want it. I like no leaner than 80/20 meat (fat rules).

This last time I reconstituted some ancho chilies, roasted some anaheims and jalapenos and put them in a blender with some garlic cloves, kosher salt and some of the water I used to reconstitute the anchos. I strained that through a seive and added that to the chili. I think some variation of that will continue in the future.

I am thinking about adding some Steen's molasses next time.

Lastly, I love kidney beans.

therico

Ambassador to the East
A/V Subscriber
Sep 4, 2006
日本
After reading this thread I decided to put on a big pot of chili this morning before I left for work. Nothing fancy, I'm kind of limited on my ingredient selection but dammit I wanted chili. I only have the McCormick spice bags, I can't get all the specific spices I want to add. 2lbs of 80/20 ground beef browned with a few cloves of garlic and half an onion. Mixed in 2 cans of kidney beans (I like beans). 1 can of Ro-tel, 1 can of Petite Diced tomatoes, 1 big can of tomato sauce. I also diced up another 1.5 onion and threw that in too (I like onions). Threw it all in the crock pot before I left on warm. Nothing like letting it crock-pot while you work. It's 10am and I am ready to go home and eat.
Not too disappointed with the mix, could have used some more green chilis though. The first pot of chili for the season is always the best :D Next time I will try the ribeye or brisket. Sounds awesome

Along with the chili thread. What do you like to drink with your chili? I'm a red beer kind of guy

frankeaton

Banned
Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Garland texass
Good subject for a thread. I think I will finally have a good recipe when i am a senior citizen because I make it slightly different every time trying to find the way I want it. I like no leaner than 80/20 meat (fat rules).
This last time I reconstituted some ancho chilies, roasted some anaheims and jalapenos and put them in a blender with some garlic cloves, kosher salt and some of the water I used to reconstitute the anchos. I strained that through a seive and added that to the chili. I think some variation of that will continue in the future.

I am thinking about adding some Steen's molasses next time.

Lastly, I love kidney beans.
as you may know, I am in the meat biz, and it kills me when somebody pays $5.00 a pound for 90% meat when you can buy 73/27 for $2.00?, just make the burgers alittle larger:D

and the flavor is in the fat